diy solar

diy solar

Small ~2kw Diesel Generator to run on waste oil

Don’t use any kind of Vegi Oil in a diesel, I have lots of experience with the subject.
I haven't read on all the posts but in my opinion the best way to use the waste oil is to mix it 50/50 with fresh diesel and centrifuge it. Filtering can never remove the smallest carbon particles or suspended water.

We've been very successful with veg oil , it really depends on your engine and what you actually do you with it

Cut with 10% petrol (gas), 50micron, 5micron, 1 micron filters and then a water block filter if needed.

The trick is to run it in an engine you don't really care about! Cause something is going to go wrong at some point..

But the savings that can be made in the mean time well outway the cost of picking up another veg burning motor . This was true 20 years ago, even more so now with fuel being so expensive.

The only trouble is finding engines that will run it they're getting rarer and rarer

Last edited:
The only trouble is finding engines that will run it they're getting rarer and rarer

I was on well on my way to setting up a black diesel manufacturing system and then my simple diesel ute died (valve through the piston) and I replaced it with a common rail, so my black diesel project is on hold.

I was on well on my way to setting up a black diesel manufacturing system and then my simple diesel ute died (valve through the piston) and I replaced it with a common rail, so my black diesel project is on hold.

Yea you need something old fashioned, none direct injection & a Bosch fuel pump not a Lucas ( not sure what's what the otherside of the pond )

I've been seriously considering re-swapping my Yota to a 1KD. Can't ignore the zombie apocalypse possibilities of the 617 that's in there now, though. It has upgraded filtration, and has eaten bits and pieces of just about everything that pours and burns at this point.

As others have said waste veggie oil works much better in an indirect injection diesel engine. The yanmar air cooled and its clones have direct injection..

As far as black fuel goes, I'm currently searching for an older generator (10 to 15 kw) to run on it. I have a fleet of farm and construction machinery (JD, Cat, Allis, IH) and my '06 International DTI466 service truck running on up to 50/50 WMO blend with minimal issues (smoke, occasional injector fouling easily fixed with a load of straight fuel). Cuts my fuel costs in half. I screen it before pressure centrifuge cleaning it, then another filter out of the tank. Won't go the WVO route, but black fuel is great. Have totes set at several operations that generate a lot of clean used diesel oil.

Last edited:
Back