diy solar

diy solar

Small array in a sometimes shaded spot

XR52e9

I have a small array in back of my house, what would be better for a sometimes shaded spot? 2, 200 W 24 volt solar panels wired in parallel or 4, 100 W 12 volt solar panels wired series parallel, a MPPT controller would be used either way. ( I would appropriately size wires and fuse all panels of course ) right now I have just the 2 12 volt panels wired in series (24v) going to a MPPT controller. Or would I be better just to add 2 more 100 w 12 volt panels wired in series (24v) going to a second MPPT controller, charging the same battery bank?

Attachments

• A4E4AE45-7EBB-49CB-9FEF-C6209DEBA911.jpeg
    A4E4AE45-7EBB-49CB-9FEF-C6209DEBA911.jpeg
    73.6 KB · Views: 7
Last edited:
Tells us about the “sometimes shaded spot”.

is that sometimes it is all completely shaded or sometimes there is shade on some of the panels.

My guess is go for serial - max voltage, but the real way to find out is to run one good day in series- then run the next good day in parallel and see which produces the most power. (Then run a day in 2s2p - see if that makes a difference).

Don’t forget to report back to us on your findings.

As far as two 200watt panels or four 100watt panels-either way they will be the same power - 400 watts.

Tells us about the “sometimes shaded spot”.

is that sometimes it is all completely shaded or sometimes there is shade on some of the panels.

My guess is go for serial - max voltage, but the real way to find out is to run one good day in series- then run the next good day in parallel and see which produces the most power. (Then run a day in 2s2p - see if that makes a difference).

Don’t forget to report back to us on your findings.

As far as two 200watt panels or four 100watt panels-either way they will be the same power - 400 watts.
Sometimes part of the panels are shaded. I want then behind the house, so the roof shades them differently over the year. Am thinking that adding 2 more 12v 100 w panels in series and another MPPT controller will be the most cost effective way to add them. That way I can later add one more to each someday. That’s a good idea to run in different configurations, and the panels long way up, then horizontally. Will test this summer, will post before and after photos

Thanks to all the people that offered comments to help me. I decided to add 2 more 100 watt panels.
This 400 watt system can run my dehumidifier for 1.5 hours in full sun with no issue.
Will continue to update as I learn and add more solar.
Am reading a lot on Will’s site and his videos on lithium batteries, plan to someday upgrade from my AGM.
Thanks

Attachments

• A3F34BD0-202B-47D7-8FEA-39E816D81E5D.jpeg
    A3F34BD0-202B-47D7-8FEA-39E816D81E5D.jpeg
    208.6 KB · Views: 2
How did u end up wiring them?
My guess, 2 parallel sets of 2 in series would work best. when a panel is shaded and the output voltage drops, having 2 in series will keep the voltage output above the 14v needed to charge your battery.
Depending on the current MPPT amp rating, this could have all been wired to one MPPT solar charge controller.

Back