diy solar

diy solar

Small backyard off-grid system: Permit requried?

ohseedee

I'm looking to build out a small, 400 to 600 watt max, off-grid and ground mounted system but have no idea if I need permits (I won't build it if I do). The panels would be mounted on the ground and the other equipment would be in a deck box or shed. Nothing touching my house. I live in Los Angeles CA, so any specifics on LA or CA would be great, but just generally speaking do people anywhere need to get permits for this kind of system? My use case for the system would be to power outdoor stuff (lights, fountain, etc.) and in the event of a power outage be able to run an extension cord and use it as a backup for lights, computer, and and maybe a fridge for short periods of time (half day or so) in my home. This system would include battery backup too. Because my lot is on a hill, the panels mounted on the ground would be visible from the street, so anyone doing code enforcement would see it driving by.

I've been doing lots of searching online and have come up empty, so any thoughts would be super helpful. I'm ready to buy and build, but want to make sure I'm not getting myself into trouble.

Depends on the county. The inspectors here are generally helpful and knowledgeable, so really it's good to get more eyeballs making sure everything is safe. Not only can it save you bucks as they'll tell you in the plans if you have something wrong (e.g., wire type) before you buy it, but also when you go to sell your house if it was permitted there won't (generally) be any problem with the sale because of it. Also to add to @emt27's point regarding insurance... harder for the insurance company to deny a claim of damage to your house (e.g., house burns down from faulty solar wiring) if the inspectors approved it.

I did pull a permit in my city in LA county as an owner for my grid tie system. I think google earth is a good way to look at un-permitted improvements and it is my understanding that some counties are looking at ways to capture unreported improvements but soar projects are exempt. My impression is that if you hook your system to 120 V Ac you could have an issue with permitting. However, permitting is super easy if you follow the California Guide Standard Plans. I have also had great success with implementing solar in my city and it is not a big issue to do grid tie. After you do your grid tie standard system, I would think the add on's would be minor and incidental. Here is a video for the grid tie permitting to see if you may want to go this way.

Last edited:
Thanks Danny for the permit details. I'm actually not looking to build out a big system or even grid-tie it. I'm thinking of this as a small/simple off grid system for backup power in the event of an outage, plus a fun dyi project. I'll mount the panels (probably 4 100 watt) using some diy wood rack in my backyard. I'm thinking it more inline with a small off grid camper/van/shed system than a home system. I like doing things by the book and this is not really important enough to me that I'd actually go get a permit. If I need a permit I'm likley not going to do it at all. I feel like I might be overthinking it and no one is getting a permit for what I'm trying to do. :)

Thanks Danny for the permit details. I'm actually not looking to build out a big system or even grid-tie it. I'm thinking of this as a small/simple off grid system for backup power in the event of an outage, plus a fun dyi project. I'll mount the panels (probably 4 100 watt) using some diy wood rack in my backyard. I'm thinking it more inline with a small off grid camper/van/shed system than a home system. I like doing things by the book and this is not really important enough to me that I'd actually go get a permit. If I need a permit I'm likley not going to do it at all. I feel like I might be overthinking it and no one is getting a permit for what I'm trying to do. :)
Thanks for your reply. I have a 2kw rooftop system ~ 7 x 385W and I have drunken the coolaide. $0 electric bills are really cool. Sounds like you are pretty good with electrical stuff. Have fun on your project!

It is easy enough to look up your state or local municipal website for what permit requirements apply to the system you want to build.

The way i see it and the way it is widely accepted here, If it stands alone like a solar landscape light there is no reason to seek permission. Home owners associations and the odd ordinance aside.

I like the deck box power supply!

Ballasted systems are great for avoiding having a system under someone elses jurisdiction....
If it has no permanent attachment to any "property" or "real estate", "building", "residence", etc, it should be good as long as you dont....... personally i cant see why anybody else could care or havena say if its visible or not, from any angle.

I can see historic covenents or conveyed restriction(ordinances......) but if thats a constraint its just another integration challenge! We like those.

If it sits on the property, especially a thing like a deck box, or a fancy benched out gazebo with stand alone power that just happens to have a cord to twist-lock into that inlet that happens to be on the house..... for people doing that.

Good luck in the maze.

I have the same question, but for a bigger system! I just bought ten 240 watt, 60 cell 10 year old panels for $380. They each test right on spec. First a pre-question! I've been getting the idea that solar panels degrade over time, like even just 5 years. These panels seem to defy that! What do you guys say? Do they usually last a short number of years or am I just lucky with these?

Here's the question about the building. I want to build a 300 sq. ft. solarium off of my garage, but not connected to it and put the panels on top of it. The area is the only south facing surface on my house. I want to keep it detached so that my panels won't catch the attention of the building dept. and fire dept.. This set up really is for experimentation purposes. The building will be light and breakdownable and I will take the panels off anyway for the summer when I go off to my summer cabin?

I'm also in LA and will build it if I need permits. The building part isn't a big deal. The solar part will require some time for the learning curve!

Thanks!

I feel like I might be overthinking it and no one is getting a permit for what I'm trying to do. :)

Exactly!

Probably the majority feel and operate that way. I know I do for temporary/portable stuff. And some of my temporary stuff............

OK, cool! And if I get caught, I'll store it 'till I get permits! Lord, nobody gets permits for anything around here. I have a neighbor who holds a grudge, so I got a permit for my roofing work. My neighbor got a permit for a deck. $250K later she kinda regrets it! When I moved here, I didn't think it was the Wild West!

I'm looking to build out a small, 400 to 600 watt max, off-grid and ground mounted system but have no idea if I need permits (I won't build it if I do). The panels would be mounted on the ground and the other equipment would be in a deck box or shed. Nothing touching my house. I live in Los Angeles CA, so any specifics on LA or CA would be great, but just generally speaking do people anywhere need to get permits for this kind of system? My use case for the system would be to power outdoor stuff (lights, fountain, etc.) and in the event of a power outage be able to run an extension cord and use it as a backup for lights, computer, and and maybe a fridge for short periods of time (half day or so) in my home. This system would include battery backup too. Because my lot is on a hill, the panels mounted on the ground would be visible from the street, so anyone doing code enforcement would see it driving by.

I've been doing lots of searching online and have come up empty, so any thoughts would be super helpful. I'm ready to buy and build, but want to make sure I'm not getting myself into trouble.
Did you end up needing a permit? Im also in LA

You might not get a reply from the OP but I am pretty sure, technically speaking, that even the OP's project would require a permit in CA/LA.

It's kind of surprising how many people don't realize what you need permits for and even more surprising, some of the stupid things you're actually required to permit.

U can make a deck on your yard out of pallets & make the deck less than 30 inches high so u will not need a permit for the deck. Then lay the panels flat on the deck or angle it a little bit using 2x4's then you will not need a permit for the panels as it is not permanent.

I'm looking to build out a small, 400 to 600-watt max, off-grid and ground-mounted system but have no idea if I need permits (I won't build it if I do). The panels would be mounted on the ground and the other equipment would be in a deck box or shed. Nothing touching my house. I live in Los Angeles CA, so any specifics on LA or CA would be great, but just generally speaking do people anywhere need to get permits for this kind of system? My use case for the system would be to power outdoor stuff (lights, fountain, etc.) and in the event of a power outage be able to run an extension cord and use it as a backup for lights, computer, and and maybe a fridge for short periods of time (half day or so) in my home. This system would include battery backup too. Because my lot is on a hill, the panels mounted on the ground would be visible from the street, so anyone doing code enforcement would see it driving by.

If you really need to be sure, just drop by Building and Safety and bring a small drawing of your setup. https://dpw.lacounty.gov/building-and-safety/permits/workexempt
  • The installation of temporary wiring for testing or experimental purposes within suitable facilities.
  • Portable generators, portable motors, appliances, tools, power outlets, and other portable equipment are connected by means of a cord or cable having an attachment plug.
I would just tell them I have an Ecoflow(portable generator) in a cabinet and a couple of panels on the ground. The more complicated it is, the more scrutiny.

Look at it this way, instead of a separate battery, inverter, solar controller, and solar panels, you place an Ecoflow Pro on your deck with a 400-watt portable folding solar panel in the yard, powering some lights, flatscreen led tv, and small refrigerator and freezer with extension cords, no permit is required. It's the DIY components that are an issue. Those components may cause them to want to check, to make sure of disconnects, fuses, circuit breakers, batteries, inverters, bus bars...things that may potentially cause a fire. I haven't heard of a DIY 'milk crate' or hand truck-type battery build needing a permit to use.

For power outages and blackouts, portable backup power supplies like Bluetti and Ecoflow serve exactly that purpose, and so do standard gas and propane generators. Just lean the panels on a sawhorse or on 2x4 struts and use concrete blocks/sandbags to hold them from moving. slipping. Temporary, not permanent structures, not attached to the house are not going to need permits. You'll just need to secure the PV cables against a tripping hazard. Renogy/HQST 100-watt panels are small and you can get tilt brackets for them that work well.

Back