diy solar

diy solar

Small battery (garden tractor, generator, motorcycle…) trickle charge setup?

I just installed 2 100w HF panels, 2 HF 35ah batteries and a 2000w pure sine inverter. My main intent is to be able to keep my garden tractor battery boosted enough to survive the multi months of sub zero temps in northern Minnesota. I usually run a long extension cord out to the shed and plug the Schumacher trickle charger into it each winter. I am hoping to be able to eliminate running the cord this year. We have had almost no sun for the most part for this entire week and my system is having problems staying up at night while running the trickle charger from my inverter.

I am a novice at this Solar tech and continue to check my system parameters.

I just installed 2 100w HF panels, 2 HF 35ah batteries and a 2000w pure sine inverter. My main intent is to be able to keep my garden tractor battery boosted enough to survive the multi months of sub zero temps in northern Minnesota. I usually run a long extension cord out to the shed and plug the Schumacher trickle charger into it each winter. I am hoping to be able to eliminate running the cord this year. We have had almost no sun for the most part for this entire week and my system is having problems staying up at night while running the trickle charger from my inverter.

I am a novice at this Solar tech and continue to check my system parameters.
I would tie the panels to a charge controller, directly connected to the tractor battery… not waste energy on an inverter

What did those batteries cost? Lithium? Or lead acid? And protected against charging below 32*?

2000W inverter from HF?!
That’s a lot for 2 35Ah batteries though.
They are SLA. Even with the extreme cold temps I haven’t experienced a battery freezing up (as long as I keep a maintenance charge ) for the past 27 years. Keeping them somewhat sheltered, garage, shed etc seems to help greatly.

I would tie the panels to a charge controller, directly connected to the tractor battery… not waste energy on an inverter
“AND DEPRIVE ME OF THE SOLAR TINKERING EXPERIENCE?” ??o_O
I do use the power for other things when in the shed. I may put the trickle charger on a timer to help ease the load/time.

Back