diy solar

diy solar

Small footprint high capacity system design

jmcgurk

I've done a few searches and haven't found what I'm looking for, so if I've missed it, please just post a link..

I am refitting my Sprinter van and looking to upgrade the house electrical. I've decided to go 100% AC power, for simplicity and easy distribution. We have several AC electrical loads including, an induction cook top, hot water heater, pump, heater and microwave. I've estimated this workload to be about 60 Ah w/o the heater or AC. The camper is set up for a family of 4, so space is a super premium. In the last configuration I used two bays under the 2nd row crew seats. Each bay is roughly 20x12x15.5. My plan currently is to put 400ah in the left bay using 2 200ah SOK batteries. Then box out and install a charger/inverter (and solar) in the other bay. I'm currently thinking about a Victron multiPlus 3000VA, as I think this is the minimum I can get away with for a couple of the loads running at the same time.

Do you guys have any suggestions on equipment to make the foot print as small as possible?

Thanks
John

Attachments

• IMG_0803.jpg
    IMG_0803.jpg
    88 KB · Views: 22
Boy that looks familiar :). I am building out a Promaster - rear bench seat and wheel well boxes will be the only "garage" I have for all-in-one MPPT/Charge Inverter, batteries, water heater, and pumps/fuses/shutoffs etc. Also plan to ventilate the area to the outside as RV will be in FL 80% of the time and dont want to overheat lithiums. Will barely have room for tools when I'm done.

Our build is a complicated by a design for 4 people. Shallow storage on the sides, with a double sized bunk bed in the back. I'm trying to keep the footprint of everything as small as possible. I also realized I posed this in the wrong spot, but can't work out how to move it. Thanks for the reply.

Back