diy solar

diy solar

small off grid system, with Li-ion samsung SDI packs and victron multiplus

samv76

Hi All,
My first attempt to buid a small off grid system is taking shape.

I have the following components

- victron multiplus 48:1200:13
- victron venus gx
- 2 X Samsung SDI battery pack 16S

The first issue i come across is that my battery pack is 16 S . The victron multiplus is rated for 48V nominal and has a Vmax input of 66 V.
My idea was to just not completely charge the 16S pack to stay within the acceptable voltage range of the victron multiplus. Would that work?

I wont be using the built in charging function as i want to use a seperate mppt charger connected to some solar panels and a wind turbine to charge the battery

I could use some advice on what would be a suitable charger in this situation. The requirements would be that it can be used to charge lithium ion batteries and has some sort of boosting function so that the input votage can be lower than the output voltage. The windturbine is still being developed and im not sure it will have much more than 24V coming out of it. So the mppt charger would need to boost this 24V to a voltage suitable to charge my battery pack.

I saw that victron has mppt charges but im not sure if they can handle Li-ion batteries and can boost voltage?

I hope my questions make sense.. im still new at this :)

regards,

sander

I'm unsure of what you're asking about the charger portion of the multiplus, but if the spec sheet does not cover your question, yo can download the Victron Connect App which has a demo mode for all Blue Tooth Devices and you can see if your setting is there.

Hi,
thx for your reply.
I will not be using the charger portion of the multiplus. The idea is that this setup is not connected to any mains AC in any way .
therefor the multiplus will serve only as a inverter. The charging of the batteries will need to be done with a seperate charger that gets its power from solar panes and a wind turbine.

Hi,
I wonder if you were able to successfully develop the system. I got exactly the same battery pack, but I talked to Victron dealers and they said that it is not a good idea to work on the voltage range limit. Theoretically, 4.1Vx16 is 65.6, but there are always fluctuations and you need to have a error margin.
Since these batteries are 3x*8S packs, my plan is to break every other one on 2+6 to make 14S blocks and then connect 2+2 to make ~12V (16V) batteries.

But I am curios if you came up with something more interesting.

Thank you for sharing.
Peter

Back