diy solar

diy solar

Small Power Boat Solar/Battery/Inverter Setup

cflugstad

I have a 30' boat, and looking to add a solar/batter/inverter to it. I have 4 batteries currently(thruster, engine1, engine2, systems), which are all AGM - 100ah. I plan on adding a lithium for the inverter/solar as it will be used heavy on some days, not recharged fully, then used again. I need more than 50AH that the current "systems" battery gives off, and i want to have this independant from the boats operation. Please comment if my logic is off.

So 100ah lithium would give me enough power to operate for my use. I found a 200w, 17v, 11a PV panel that fits perfect on the roof. I need prolly 1000w inverter, but wouldnt be opposed to 1500-2000w, for that rare occasion time i need to hook up a keurig;)

I also have 110v shorepower that I connect when on dock, so charging from 110v would be nice, but that could simply be from a AC/DC charger, so controller doesnt HAVE to have 110v charging capability. I also have 12v charging coming from the boat/alternator. I am tempted to just leave this out of the design. With solar and shore power, I should be good. I don't want to have a system that sucks/draws from the boat and possibly affect the boats operation while underway.

So I believe I have the right panel, i just need battery, inverter, and controller. I keep going around in circles and now I am at the point where I can't remember what I am looking for ;)

Anyone built a system close to these specs/needs? Thoughts, Ideas, wisdom? I am in the Seattle area as well if someone wants a nerdy fun project.

Thanks,
Chris

I am going to be installing a simple Renogy kit for our greenhouse. I know I need a deep cycle battery. I was wondering if these type of batteries are available at auto stores like O'reilleys and such. If so, is there a brand that is better 192.168.100.1 than others?

Last edited:
If you're only anchoring out part time, FLA works well enough. FLA will work 4-7 years on a boat. (4 years full time cruising, 7 years part time) Though if you roll your own a Lifepo4 does very well. How much battery. With the typical marine fridge, you will need 800-1000 watts a day just for the fridge. Led lights, tv, laptop, etc add to that. I use 4 6V golf cart batteries for house loads on my 34' sailboat, which work far better then 12v marine batterys (which you should avoid like the plaque for the house loads). AGM like being fully charged which is hard to do on the hook with tide shifts.

For lifepo4 at least a 200ah battery will keep you happy on the hook. For charge controller and inverter, victron while a bit spendy give the best bang for the buck. Specially at anchor. Victron inverters have low standby losses and the victron SCC is the gold standard it works the best, least on boats and RV's. With a fridge at least 1000 watt inverter. Even cheap sailors like me like victron.

When locating the panel try to avoid placing it near higher things as shading is a pain at anchor. More so with sailboats though.
So I believe I have the right panel, i just need battery, inverter, and controller. I keep going around in circles and now I am at the point where I can't remember what I am looking for ;)

Anyone built a system close to these specs/needs? Thoughts, Ideas, wisdom? I am in the Seattle area as well if someone wants a nerdy fun project.

Thanks,
Chris

Back