diy solar

diy solar

small quiet generators

e67

I see the Honda 1000 inverter generator for 1100$ but it doesn't have DC onboard. I would like a tiny quiet gen like that with 12/24 DC for charging batts.
High quality only....anyone have suggestion?Or is it better to just plug in an AC batt charger and that's good enough.....its for saving gas because the RV Onan 5500 uses too much gas to run it just for batt charging..

Better to run a dedicated automatic battery charger. That way you don't overcharge the battery.

Or is it better to just plug in an AC batt charger and that's good enough.....its for saving gas because the RV Onan 5500 uses too much gas to run it just for batt charging..
IMHO the best and most efficient way is to use the biggest AC battery charger your batteries and generator can handle to get the batteries to ~80%.

Edited to add: If you do that you'll be better utilizing more of your Onan and not need a 2nd generator is my thought.

Last edited:
Most small generators that output DC don't allow AC output at the same time. The DC output is typically only about 4 amps - mainly because it is the field current for the generator. As others have mentioned you can get much more DC current from an AC battery charger. By the way, we have the Honda 2200 and it's awesomely fuel efficient and quiet.

Most small generators that output DC don't allow AC output at the same time. The DC output is typically only about 4 amps - mainly because it is the field current for the generator.
Thanks for that crucial nugget. There's so many smart people on here!

I have been using a quiet Firman inverter genny from Costco 3200 start and 2900 run. It runs at 56 ok DECIBELS;) and is very efficient.
Never really measured the DC output because i use a dedicated LiFePO AC charger if needed. They run about $700 at Costco with sales on occasion at a lower price. Its never had any issues or problems. Never really saw the practicality of paying double that for a smaller honda. They are quality but you pay steeply for the name. ✌️

Last edited:
dc out isn’t really suitable for charging. I suspect the same is true of othe generators with dc out
I believe you to be correct.
It’s probably a measly 10A or something small as mentioned and dirty usually. I was not aware some were only 4A
56 d and very efficient.
You shouldn’t be looking at your overweight housekeeper. But no matter; the rest of us hear stuff measured in decibels not your housekeeper’s bra size. :D

Last edited:
Does the home have solar? 600 to 1500+ watts would go a long way to keeping the Onan run time to a minimum.
Nothing is lower noise.

The RV in question is not mine but belongs to a semi disabled relative full time RVr..the solar got stolen and honestly they always park in the shade
so its not worth doing another one. It was made by Thor I think about 10 years ago. Its slowly falling apart as they do so systems are needing replacement. I put in 2 100ah Weisse VLRA batts in parallel and they are getting charged slowly when the genny is run but that's inefficient. The gen is an Onan 5500,standard on so many RVs.
One thing...as far as running the Onan 5500 and then just using an AC plug in charger ....might the batts get too much of a charge because the onboard charging system will be charging the batts whenever the generator is running.. so the batts would be getting a double source of charging...what do you know about that? If indeed that is a problem then the little Generac 2200i
for 600$ would be useful on its own just for charging batts. It would use much less gas than the Onan 5500.
If it were my RV and I was a full timer I would put in 2 eg4s and a suitable generator and controller for those batts..I would rip out all the rats nest of wiring onboard and start over with a high quality transfer switch and all else that was needed. And I would put 500 watts solar on the roof.

I put in 2 100ah Weisse VLRA batts in parallel and they are getting charged slowly when the genny is run but that's inefficient. The gen is an Onan 5500,standard on so many RVs.
Probably should upgrade the RV converter. I assume the battery is trickle charging at 13.6 volts with a WFCO converter.
Post the converter model number for best suggestions.

With a proper converter the batteries will have better longevity in addition to getting a better charge when running the generator for anything else.

Probably should upgrade the RV converter. I assume the battery is trickle charging at 13.6 volts with a WFCO converter.
Post the converter model number for best suggestions.

With a proper converter the batteries will have better longevity in addition to getting a better charge when running the generator for anything else.
What modern converter is a good choice for a 32 ftmotorhome? with 200ah of batts..?

Probably a Progressive Dynamics 9260 rated 60 amps charging. This is a deck mount converter. Will charge at 14.4 volts into your low batteries.

https://www.bestconverter.com/PD-9260C-60-Amp-RV-ConverterCharger

Once installed, a Honda 2200 or any 2000w generator will drive this converter just fine using the main cord if you prefer not to run the Onan. A 1000 is too small.

Even if you expand battery to 400 Ah this converter will perform great.

Last edited:
The RV in question is not mine but belongs to a semi disabled relative full time RVr..the solar got stolen and honestly they always park in the shade
so its not worth doing another one. It was made by Thor I think about 10 years ago. Its slowly falling apart as they do so systems are needing replacement. I put in 2 100ah Weisse VLRA batts in parallel and they are getting charged slowly when the genny is run but that's inefficient. The gen is an Onan 5500,standard on so many RVs.
One thing...as far as running the Onan 5500 and then just using an AC plug in charger ....might the batts get too much of a charge because the onboard charging system will be charging the batts whenever the generator is running.. so the batts would be getting a double source of charging...what do you know about that? If indeed that is a problem then the little Generac 2200i
for 600$ would be useful on its own just for charging batts. It would use much less gas than the Onan 5500.
If it were my RV and I was a full timer I would put in 2 eg4s and a suitable generator and controller for those batts..I would rip out all the rats nest of wiring onboard and start over with a high quality transfer switch and all else that was needed. And I would put 500 watts solar on the roof.
Is this a Class A,B, fifth wheel / toy hauler or bumper pull? I ask such as in a Class A,B or toy hauler the Onan is drawing from an internal tank and would be foolish to have an external generator with an external fuel need. Even more so if disabled and full time. Granted, never seen a bumper pull with an Onan 5k.

Either way none of these have an actual battery charger they just have an AC/DC convertor spitting out about 13-13.6 volts. It is located in behind the fuse panel in the lower half, upper half has the transfer switch. An external generator with DC would poise the same situation, just voltage and not a true battery charger.

With the assumption that with the Onan 5k the 12v DC convertor is at least 30amps, not sure why it would be charging slowly. If you want faster than 30amp then you will need a complicated two bus system that will isolate the batteries.

Can you confirm the batteries are not drawing the amps to charge?

You have the right components, replacing a $5k generator with a $600 generator is not the right approach. Need to look deeper into why the batteries are not charging. Lead acid or AGM will not get too much of a charge for the most part. Chemistry is your friend here. 99% of the RVs you see work just fine as such. Only issue I could see if you have a 3-way fridge onboard (AC, propane and 12v DC). Rare, but they do have a considerable constant draw.

In my 5th wheel my Onan 5K has 60 gallons of fuel to pull from. Why would I want to put an external generator on that I need to fill every 8 hours or so.

Transfer switches in RVs are just dry contacts, proven for years. No need to upgrade.

I posted this on a sailboat forum last year. Thought you might find it useful.
Edit I noticed an error the EU2000i is really a EU2200i.

I did a little testing with my generators today. I ran each out of fuel and then added 10oz of fuel. I then timed each generator running approximately a 700 watt load. I used a space heater set on low with a fan blowing on it. This amount of load represents about 60 amps of 12v DC charging. That's more charging load than many of us have but it was the best load that I had handy.

The EU2000i ran for 30 minuets and 3 seconds.
The EU1000i ran for 46 minuets and 7 seconds.

If you had a 60 amp charger and you were in bulk mode you could put 30Ahr back in to your bank with 10oz of fuel using the larger generator.
Using the smaller generator you could return 46Ahr.

Obviously the smaller unit won't run AC, water heater or other large loads, but it should run a battery charger much more efficiently than a larger unit.

I hope someone finds this data useful.

Last edited:
I believe the 1000 will drive about 35 amps max into a 12v battery through an RV converter. Might get 40-45 out of a PF corrected charger.

Couple of things.

You need to make sure your converter/charger has 14.4 volt charging otherwise the batteries will take forever to top back up. Progressive dynamics activates 14.4 automatically if batteries voltage is below 12v when AC power is applied or it can be done manually by pushing a button on their accessory pendant.

I don't know what strategy other chargers use.

You're wasting loads of fuel if you're trying to re-bulk batteries at 13.8 when powering the charger off a generator.

Get the Honda 2200 with the 30 amp rv outlet on it and don't look back. Get the 3000 if you need electric start. Way harder to move than the 2200 but easier to start for someone who can't yank a pull cord.

Any of those 3 models will last for the rest of their lives

I see the Honda 1000 inverter generator for 1100$ but it doesn't have DC onboard. I would like a tiny quiet gen like that with 12/24 DC for charging batts.
High quality only....anyone have suggestion?Or is it better to just plug in an AC batt charger and that's good enough.....its for saving gas because the RV Onan 5500 uses too much gas to run it just for batt charging..
If you can find an Alphagen DCX3000 they are quiet and produce 36 or 48 volts
Depending on switch settings.

In 48vdc mode I get around 52VDC.

They are telecom generator and they got dumped on the market 10 years ago or so ?

I picked up 2 for $600 each then.

I just plug them directly up to my batteries since it can’t generate any more than 52 volts I don’t have to worry about a Charge controller.
BMS limit voltage per battery.

Works well, uses little fuel and they used to come with a 6 gallon external tank.

Back