diy solar

diy solar

Small ring terminals for 6 AWG and 8 AWG wires?

bvp

Hello folks!

I'm currently in the middle of a van build and I'm having difficulty finding an appropriate terminal connector. I'm using a Simarine SCQ25T shunt to measure both my solar output to the batteries and 12V loads. The solar output wiring is 8AWG and the 12V load wiring is 6 AWG, and I need to pass both of them through the SCQ25T shunt. However I'm struggling to find small enough terminal connectors for that gauge wire that will fit on the shunt post. A 12 AWG #10 fits fine, but the 8AWG #10 terminals I have don't.

Any suggestions on how to approach this? Maybe a spade connector?

IMG_1466.JPG

Dunno what size your shunt terminals are but I enlarge the holes with a step drill.

Wild guess.... The 25 in the product # is for amps?
Meaning the screw terminals are meant for 10 awg max.

Hey @bvp I happened to luck out with this 8 awg ring terminal I had bought earlier:
Yes, it's a whole lot of ring terminals, but this one fits the space.
20200802_160641.jpg

Just make sure you aren't going over the volt and amp limits on these small shunts (printed right there).
I have same Simarine system and can't wait to install it.

Thanks @Rogerb! That's a hot lead! Would you mind spot-checking the 6AWG from that package and letting me know if it can sneak into the SCQ25 as well?

Hello folks!

I'm currently in the middle of a van build and I'm having difficulty finding an appropriate terminal connector. I'm using a Simarine SCQ25T shunt to measure both my solar output to the batteries and 12V loads. The solar output wiring is 8AWG and the 12V load wiring is 6 AWG, and I need to pass both of them through the SCQ25T shunt. However I'm struggling to find small enough terminal connectors for that gauge wire that will fit on the shunt post. A 12 AWG #10 fits fine, but the 8AWG #10 terminals I have don't.

Any suggestions on how to approach this? Maybe a spade connector?

View attachment 18972
Those terminals have locking plates designed for solid wire, or ferril covered stranded wire, not ring terminals.

Back