diy solar

diy solar

Small sailboat auxilliary setup

Toxophilite

I have a very small 11' oar and sail open dinghy that I use for camping and day trips in protected waters (Inlets, lakes etc.) Sometimes I go as far as 20 km (one way) and for rowing that distance back if necessary (the most I've done is a 2.5 hour stretch) it would be nice to have an auxilliary for a break. I found a cool electric trolling motor, a 6 lbs 12V watersnake 24 that pushes my boat at just about 3knts with a old and spent lead acid battery that is too heavy and big.
I want to get a good LifePo4 battery and a small panel and controller setup. I would like to do it on the cheap if at all possible.
At high speed my motor draws 20 amps so I figure 50AH would give me a couple of hours of run time without running it right out. I would go up to 60AH but most I've seen seem to be the same size as lead acid batteries and real estate is a big factor in my little boat. i'm not sure if there is a solar setup small enough and string enough to be useful in this application.
(the battery pictured was just used for a couple of shorter tests jaunts, I threw it in a bin an lodged it under the thwart as a temporary thing)

Any recommendations on a cheap and cheerful setup? It doesn't have to be super heavy duty as this is mostly a fair weather sort of boat. Whatever I used would be stored in some sort of mostly waterproof box that would be affixed solidly.

I as looking at battery hookup. They have a 4 32Ah used robotic battery sale for not too much. I could have two batteries and space them for weight balance and have a pair of backup. not sure about the brands though. after taxes and shipping for about $50 more I could pickup up a 50Ah Canbat battery locally. They seems to be pretty skookum.

wm7oEUy.jpg

pRMqdq8.jpg

zVeFsBK.jpg

Last edited:
Back