diy solar

diy solar

Small semi portable set up

DillBill

I couldn’t find an existing post in this but maybe I just don’t have the right query.

I’m looking to build a small generator and solar set up. I had a camper van I built out that I had to sell last year and basically I miss the glamping/prepper aspects of it. The set up would be two 100/150w panels, a 100 ah lithium battery, mppt controller, and relatively small inverter. The main thing I’d keep on the system would be a 50L Iceco fridge, but would like to be able to charge laptops, camping lights, etc.

Now that I live in a house I have a truck that isn’t a full time camper. I’ll keep the fridge in our home workshop 90% of the time. But for camping trips I’d like to be able to move the panels from in front of the house to the truck rack, throw the fridge and generator setup in the back (camper top) and go.

I haven’t seen this exact set up before but I bet someone has it. One thing I’ve come up with is realizing I’ll want permanent wires at both the house and the truck. There’s probably other little things I’m not thinking of. Any pics or details of similar systems would be great.

Welcome to the party BillDill. Sounds like a decent idea. What parts-n-pieces do you have at this point?
Have you tested the fridge on the battery & inverter while the fridge is out in the heat?
Anderson style connector 120A.PNG
Anderson type connectors might make relocating parts easy for you. They are great for disconnecting under loads, a few hundred times.

Welcome to the party BillDill. Sounds like a decent idea. What parts-n-pieces do you have at this point?
Have you tested the fridge on the battery & inverter while the fridge is out in the heat?
View attachment 97558
Anderson type connectors might make relocating parts easy for you. They are great for disconnecting under loads, a few hundred times.
I am working on wiring up the generator portion today and tomorrow. I haven't tested this exact system, but it's very close to what I had in my previous camper van. The fridge is a different brand (Iceco vs Whynter but I believe same compressor) and I'm using a 100ah lithium this time instead of 200ah of deep cycle marine lead acid. The fridge would be run on the 12 volt, so it shouldn't interfere with the inverter.

I will look into those connectors, thanks!

One thing I’ve come up with is realizing I’ll want permanent wires at both the house and the truck.
You sound like you already have a decent plan. Implementation is in process. Diagram and post up what you’re doing?

Back