diy solar

diy solar

Small solar project - see if the parts I chose are appropriate

DurkaDurka

The initial goal is to be able to run my desktop PC - it's on a UPS that draws on average 280 watts 24/7. It can draw up to 550 watts. Thought was I can easily switch between grid and inverter without powering down because of UPS. Not interested in ATS at the moment as I don't want anything directly attached to my home wiring. Anyway, the parts :

12V HQST 100 watt panel (HSP100D-L)$ 86.00
ECO-WORTHY 28 inch Adjustable Solar Panel Tilt Mount Mounting Rack$ 38.00
Victron SmartSolar MPPT 100/50$ 324.00
GIANDEL 2200W Pure Sine Wave Power Inverter 12V DC$ 310.00
CHINS 100AH LiFePO4 Battery 12V$ 346.00
windy nation 2 AWG guage 12.5 ft (comes with copper lugs and heat shrink tubing)$ 82.00
windy nation 8 AWG 80 ft (MC4 on both ends)$ 145.00
TEMco Hammer crimper$ 22.00
WindyNation ANL Fuse Holder + ANL (250A) (battery)$ 16.00
WindyNation ANL Fuse Holder + ANL (150A) (battery)$ 16.00
ZOOKOTO 12V- 48V DC 70 Amp (panels -> MPPT)$ 27.00
Ampper Battery Switch, 12-48 V Battery Power Cut Master Switch$ 14.00

Comments :
- Fully aware a single 100 watt panel and the battery won't do the job for any appreciable time, but I just wanted to get started.
- Oversized the MPPT and inverter just in case I ever really want to step things up. I like the Victron as it appears best quality and has Bluetooth.
- Saw on YouTube that the Chins battery is exactly the same as Ampere Time. Low temps are not an issue.
- Bought 2 sizes of fuses just-in-case.
- The 70A breaker appears to allow for a manual disconnect, which I wanted.
- Nothing goes on roof.

Any comments, please let me know. I'm curious to get it all going and play with it!

I went to the Giandel website, and asked, but I could not get an answer in terms of what the idle draw of the inverter itself was. That needs to be factored in to your needs. Right of the bat though, it appears the loads you document far exceed what a single 100W panel can supply.

Since you are getting an MPPT controller, look at getting a larger grid-tie panel locally. I'm willing to bet you'll find a grid-tie panel with local pickup to be cheaper than a 100W panel you buy through the mail. My gut feeling would be that you really need ~500W to make this work. Just 100W is going to be a disappointment.

I have the 4000/8000 watt 24 volt Giandel. It only pulls 7 watts at idle with no load.

I went to the Giandel website, and asked, but I could not get an answer in terms of what the idle draw of the inverter itself was. That needs to be factored in to your needs. Right of the bat though, it appears the loads you document far exceed what a single 100W panel can supply.

Since you are getting an MPPT controller, look at getting a larger grid-tie panel locally. I'm willing to bet you'll find a grid-tie panel with local pickup to be cheaper than a 100W panel you buy through the mail. My gut feeling would be that you really need ~500W to make this work. Just 100W is going to be a disappointment.

Hey Michael, thanks for your comment. I did mention the 100W panel will under perform and that I simply wanted to get started. I'd like to get up to 300-400 watts as I build it out. Even that may not be enough, we'll see.

Saw a comment on Amazon "Has a very low idle current (About 0.53 amp no-load)." That's about 6 watts...pretty good. If it's more, it's more - I'll measure it.

Where can I find local grid-tie panels? I live in a state (VA) where doing solar is usually not a thing since electricity is $0.12/KW. Harbor freight sells a slightly larger (physically) 100 watt panel for $100 ($130 - $30 coupon). I read it does put out a proper 100 watts, so they may be underselling it.

Last edited:
Where can I find local grid-tie panels? I live in a state (VA) where doing solar is usually not a thing since electricity is $0.12/KW. Harbor freight sells a slightly larger (physically) 100 watt panel for $100 ($130 - $30 coupon). I read it does put out a proper 100 watts, so they may be underselling it.
Friends don't let friends buy Harbor Freight. Sorry about being an elitist! Went online and did a quick search on Craigslist, and found these guys. They appear to want to sell by the pallet, but maybe if you actually drive to their location, they might be willing to sell one or two panels, cash and carry. That is how I've made all my purchases now, except for the very first.

Appreciate you putting in the time. I've looked at Craigslist and there is basically nothing within reasonable driving distance to me. There is some stuff here and there (some sketchy), but not priced well enough to bother.

As for Harbor Freight, I normally wouldn't buy from them either, but the Thunderbolt 100 watt panel actually show good reviews.

If looking for 100w panels, consider the acopower....poly one with coupon is $65, the mono is currently $70 off amazon. They cycle coupon from 20-15-10 every couple of weeks. currently the mono coupon is only $15 but is longer ship time than poly.

Again, if you choose a 100W panel, costco has one for 85 and it comes with an elcheapo pwm charge controller.
3 or 4 of them and you might keep up with the PC during the day.
I'd really focus on a pair of 300W panels myself.

Again, if you choose a 100W panel, costco has one for 85 and it comes with an elcheapo pwm charge controller.
3 or 4 of them and you might keep up with the PC during the day.
I'd really focus on a pair of 300W panels myself.

300W panels are huge though - you have recommendations? I didn't consider Costco - do you have a link to it? I'm not seeing one for $85.

Last edited:
If looking for 100w panels, consider the acopower....poly one with coupon is $65, the mono is currently $70 off amazon. They cycle coupon from 20-15-10 every couple of weeks. currently the mono coupon is only $15 but is longer ship time than poly.

Appreciate that. I see it for $70 - a bit large for a 100W panel though. Have you used them?

300W panels are huge though - you have recommendations? I didn't consider Costco - do you have a link to it? I'm not seeing one for $85.
They were 85 when I was in the store last month. I have a thread on the panel I just bumped.

Back