diy solar

diy solar

small solar system 12v, 200w

JimJimmy

bright sunshine, in north Florida.
does this seem low, shouldn't it read higher?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210903-142820_Renogy BT.jpg
    Screenshot_20210903-142820_Renogy BT.jpg
    151.7 KB · Views: 7
Hard to tell exactly what is considered low (voltage / amps?), but my suspicion is that you have attached your 200w panel / controller to a battery that is at or nearing full charge, where the normal action of CV is to reduce current.

Try putting a bit of a discharge on your battery and try again if amperage seems to be a concern.

If 14.1v is low, when you have set the battery for something else, like 14.4 - 14.6v perhaps, remember that a solar charge controller's temperature compensation will be active in a hot Florida summer day, and automatically reduce the voltage.

(If you are using LiFeP04, then temperature compensation should be something you DISABLE in your SCC)

Just guessing without a bit more detail of your system.

Substrate got it all summed up.

What kind of battery do you have? Lithium, flooded lead acid, sealed lead acid, agm, something else?

it is a LA but I have a LiFePO4 on the way. I use the 200watt system to charge the battery to run my fridge and lights in the rv. the lead acid battery is the problem, it doesn't hold a charge and just drains out rather quickly.
everything in the rv is 12v as it came from the factory. I added the solar to keep the battery charged.
I am new to the workings of electricity and solar, so everything leads to a question.

Last edited:
As long as the charger is set for lead acid, then I'm guessing it's just registering as a full battery and cutting output for that reason.

Try discharging the battery or putting a bigger load on it to see if it kicks up.

will do, and I have the panels set in series like in the diagram.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210902-125334_Firefox.jpg
    Screenshot_20210902-125334_Firefox.jpg
    267.8 KB · Views: 6
Back