diy solar

diy solar

small solar system for camping

johnthang

I'm looking for a charge controller for, i have the thunderbolt 100w foldable briefcase, and I'm charging lifpo4 and lead acid glass mat batteries, for fishing, and camping. Really new to solar, so any help will be appreciated.

Sure - being new to solar, lets keep it simple for now, rather than jumping into say an mppt Victron.

Many scc's are out there, but keeping with the KISS theory, here is one that is modernized enough to handle both lead-acid, and Lifepo4. Specifically, it turns temp-compensation off for LFP, and also knows how to do a bms-reset. At 10A, that will do your existing panel just fine.

There are many similar inexpensive ones out there, but this is what I'm talking about - a BougeRV LI 10A

The lack of hundreds of user-adjustable settings is actually a PLUS! :)

I take it your panel uses an automotive type SAE push/pull connector. Those are flaky, and can quite often be in different polarities depending on manufacturer. Therefore, it is best to replace those connectors with something else, or *at least* verify polarity with your own multimeter. The problem is so bad, that you may even see SAE reverse-polarity jumpers. But by the time you find out, you may have smoked something.

Use the multimeter Luke! :)

Back