diy solar

diy solar

Small wind turbine

Here is an example of ignorance about wind turbines with a tower so short the blades will hit you.
Also many obstacles close to the turbine.
These people are clueless. Just a little basic research would have avoided all those mistakes.
Needs a 50 foot tower!

That fancy verticle blade turbine looks like a scam too that will not perform up to its 1kw rating.
They probably got it for free for putting it on Youtube which will backfire on the manufacturer when it doesnt perform.

No, you've just misread the document. It's not 15 knots of wind, it's force 15 wind. You know like a severe hurricane is force 5 ...

It'd do 6.6kW in that sort of conditions ;)

I think they really did measure the power output shown in their table; "indoor testing with wind-moving fans", as they said.
It took a few minutes to wind that 1128 pounds up to speed. They then connected an electrical load and measured the power.
It could be modified with a chipper blade as an environmentally friendly version of this:

1601266106314.png

Just have to wait longer for it to get back up to speed. Mine does well enough on smaller branches, but bogs down on big ones. It's all in the flywheel.

Just take a look at ebay, some of the claims on max watt output are crazy. I was just looking at a 8000 max watt 24volt 1.3m diameter 3 blade for $150.00 . Shure doesn't help the market

That is going to kill someone if it starts spinning. I say if.
I doubt if it spins fast enough to be any danger. They say they are installing a fence around it which may mess up the wind flow.

There are only a few very short videos of these vertical wind turbines spinning slowly which makes you wonder where all the videos are of them making power?
If Renovawind had turbines installed that spin fast they would prove it with a video showing wind speed and output.

I think the 1000kwh turbine is $2500 but dont know if that includes the tower.
The Youtubers were given the turbine so its unlikely they will be honest about how much power it produces.

Last edited:
I like the one where the blades are spinning at a bajillion RPM yet the people right next to them show no wind effects at all. It's pretty obvious that there is minimal wind speed. Even the plastic bags or whatever it is in the foreground is only moving a bit. They are either free-wheeling or are being driven.

This week has been terrible for winds pretty much non existent with occasional puffs. This morning I pulled it down and made some temp shims and it gave it 1-1/2 to 2 degree better angle on the blades , put it back up and the winds started filling in a bit . start up stayed about the same but it did produce a little more power. winds built up to around 8 MPH and it was producing 3/4 amps at 6 MPH it was about 1/4 amps so it gained about 25% better than before in the same low winds. Only problem is 25% of not much is still not much. With the better angle and the prop spinning it will keep spinning down to about 2 MPH which helps when the wind starts filling back in. So far with the winds here and if it were a competition between wind turbine and 10 watt solar panel, the solar panel would win

I must like a challenge, was thinking it would be fun to play around with a 48 volt wind turbine charging 24 volt system. Looking at PMA's and blades turns out it was a little cheaper just to buy a basic 500 watt 48 volt turbine from mwands so I ordered one with 3 blade and a extra 7 blade .
I have not mounted it up yet just did some bench testing with drill and shoot this thing has a lot more power than the other one . It does have a little cogging though. but with 60" dia blades it should overcome the cogging. I should get it up this weekend so we shall see.

1809 sq-in

vs.

2827 sq-in

New unit has 56% more swept area, which equates directly to its potential.

3 blade will be more efficient, but 7 blade will have a lower cut-in speed,

It is going to be interesting figuring it out , running a higher voltage to a lower voltage system loads the PMA at a lot lower RPM . I need to brush up my skills a bit with the plasma table but I should be capable of cutting more blade hubs on it . I may end up needing to run a 10 or 11 blade set but hoping I can get by with 5 or 7

More blades only helps with cut-in. Your overall efficiency will be lower, e.g., you'll get more out of at 15mph wind with a 3 blade than you will a 5, 7, 10 or 11 blade. The drag of the blades themselves reduce efficiency at higher wind speeds.

The rotational inertia of the greater number of blades may offset the gains you get in cut-in. Yes, it will start spinning sooner, but there's so little available torque, you can't produce meaningful power.

But if you're just doing this for the lulz, please... keep us updated.

Without testing yet it seems to me I would get more torque at lower RPM's with more blades up to the point the blades start working in dirty air from being so close together but I may be wrong. Yep I will keep you updated

You got it. If you consistently have wind just above the cut in for "lotsa blades," you may net more total harvest, but the days you actually get good wind will be penalized.

I did get it up a day ago but no winds 1-2 MPH, had one little puff, it hit 17 watts and was over in about 5 seconds. Weather has been unusually warm last few days.
I have been thinking maybe I am going about it the wrong way, rather than adding more and more blades till I get the best performance in light airs maybe just go larger diameter 3 or 5 blade at 74" dia it would be better than 9 or 11 at 60", more torque, better RPM's, and less weight.
My plan is when I get it figured out to get the best I can for the winds here is build a self furling turbine mount, for traveling pulling blade hub and tail off leaving the rest still on pole would be easy to store on floor, If I travel somewhere that has real winds the stock 3 blade gets bolted on

Back