diy solar

diy solar

Small wind turbine

Yep. Swept area is the biggest factor in how much a micro turbine can harvest. Using the same area formula, 72" has 45% more swept area than 60", so you have 45% more potentially available power from a given wind. However, it has more angular momentum and is harder to spin up with a likely higher cut-in. Keeping the blades as light as possibe helps.

Finally had a couple hours of wind this afternoon up to around 10 MPH, Highest output 12 watts pushing into battery bank that was at the upper end of the charge voltage from the solar. Was running the 6 blade and am amazed at how smooth it spins. I cant give you any kick in wind speeds yet winds were bebopping up and down.

Just for kicks I hooked it up to 12 volt battery to see what would happen using the 48 volt turbine . still using the cheap charge controller that is 12/24 volt. winds are light 4-6 with occasional gust 8-10. It sounded like it was bogging a little so I dropped it and installed the 7 Blade much better . Prop starts spinning about 4 to 4-1/2 MPH takes a bit to spin up because of the extra weight , starts producing around 5-1/2 and will keep producing down to about 4-1/2. Tried to get a good average at 6 MPH and it seemed to be around 6 watts and with the gust about 12 watts. So I would say not to bad for that light of wind. I have a digital dump load controller and relay coming and I have three single phase rectifiers with a couple 12 volt hot water heater elements 150 watt and 300/600 watt so that will keep me entertained for a while. I did try the 3 rectifiers with a 10 amp MPPT charge controller on 24 volt system. Test with dill spinning the PMA and hit 3-1/2 Amps, the charge controller didn't like it much and got hot after about a minute or so, it is only rated for 40 volts on the pv side. It is one I had on sail boat about 10 years ago and it worked great for that 20 watt panels on trackers on 12 volt system

Finally started getting some better winds 8 to 10 MPH with some higher gust. Accumulated over 5 AH with the WP hitting 44 max at times. Cant wait for a day we get 15 to 20 MPH to see what it will do. John in the Utube videos says a 24 volt turbine on 12 volt system you get about 50% output and 48 volt to 12 volt system about 25% output so it will be interesting to see if that is true . Would mean I only get about 125 watts

Yes 12V just checked meter 77 WH , that was yesterday afternoon and a little this morning. I switched my system back to 12 volt in the coach, lot of pros and cons between 12 and 24 volt. For me it was a lot simpler to stay with 12 volt and it gives me five sources to charge battery bank, 45 amp converter charger two solar charge controllers one being a dual to keep start battery full, engine alternator and wind turbine

Frustrating got my 40 amp DD solid state relay with the controller in. The controller is great finite adjustments even the time delay but the relay I am not impressed, conflicting info on wiring the load side , the manufacture says the load side is the #2 + and battery is the #1 - well that don't work energized the heating element without the relay being turned on so I tried the opposite and bingo it worked but what I don't like is I loose almost a volt across the #1- to #2+ when engaged. The controller manual shows running the ground side through relay rather than the positive, that might work but I am not sure about that one, I would have to make sure the hot water tank was completely isolated, just does not seem to safe that way. I think I just need to go to the old fashion mechanical relay

I did a little research and found that is normal 1 to 1-1/2 volt loss and it comes out about 1 watt loss per amp, I am drawing 12 amps so a 1 amp loss would be about the same as mechanical relay power draw. At the moment I have it hooked running the ground through the relay and it works the same just reverse the battery and load side on the relay.

Wow this is nice getting some winds today 18 mph was the highest I got on the hand meter with some gust higher. 60 watts was the highest output on meter and accumulated 139 WH in the last 5 hours. Overcast so solar input is low about 3.5 amps from 400 watts at 3:00 pm. Still not sure how I want to wire it up yet 12 or 24 volt or do both. I need to wire it up to 24 volt in the same winds and compare, I'm thinking it should about double watt output. Winds are still blowing pretty good out there so I think in the morning I'll switch to 24 volt. I had heard about wind turbines being bird killers and I was gone working a few hours, came home and there is a big bird on ground near turbine so I guess it's true

Back