diy solar

diy solar

Small wind turbines no longer worth it?

Anyway, we tend to be rather skeptical around here for good reason.
If you really want to convince this community of the soundness of your product You can send me one, I'll be more than willing to review it.

Heads up though, if it works I won't send it back ;) but you'll have your honest review
If you have a site that will support it and you buy one, we will support the hell out of it.

Living off-grid and having just gone through a really horrible December for solar production, it is incredibly convenient to have that extra power provided by my wind turbine. On the days we had the least sun, it was still giving enough power to keep the battery depletion at bay until the sun came back out. If my alternative was running a gas generator, I am happy to have had wind.

My personal story:

At one point, I had no clue about wind.

MWANDS was willing to sell me the same turbine with a higher rated output for a significant bump in price. Now that I understand that would be flushing those extra dollars down the toilet, I have a very low opinion of them. Felt pretty exploitative.

I see a number of MWANDS units in my area. The installer that installed most of them switched away from them after several negative experiences.

My personal story:

At one point, I had no clue about wind.

MWANDS was willing to sell me the same turbine with a higher rated output for a significant bump in price. Now that I understand that would be flushing those extra dollars down the toilet, I have a very low opinion of them. Felt pretty exploitative.

I see a number of MWANDS units in my area. The installer that installed most of them switched away from them after several negative experiences.
I'm not sure what your experience was - that seems very odd. We just can't afford unhappy customers. If you'd like to reach out to me directly, I would be glad to look into what happened.

I'm not sure what your experience was - that seems very odd. We just can't afford unhappy customers. If you'd like to reach out to me directly, I would be glad to look into what happened.

What happened was that the salesperson was more interested in a higher $ sale than taking ANY steps needed to ensure the product was right for the customer.

With 10-12mph average winds, a 2000W output option vs. the 1000W output on the same turbine doesn't get me anything. The exact wattages escape me, but the price difference was notable, and it would have been completely wasted in my application.

What happened was that the salesperson was more interested in a higher $ sale than taking ANY steps needed to ensure the product was right for the customer.

With 10-12mph average winds, a 2000W output option vs. the 1000W output on the same turbine doesn't get me anything. The exact wattages escape me, but the price difference was notable, and it would have been completely wasted in my application.
Seriously, if you could post an order number or anything like that (or message me), I would like to look into it.

Seriously, if you could post an order number or anything like that (or message me), I would like to look into it.

Seriously. I'll never be a customer.

Advice: Just make sure your people make some effort to ensure the product offered is appropriate for the customer's needs. 15-30 seconds two probing questions would have made a difference. If that's too much to ask of your sales org. That conveys something as well.

Seriously. I'll never be a customer.

Advice: Just make sure your people make some effort to ensure the product offered is appropriate for the customer's needs. 15-30 seconds two probing questions would have made a difference. If that's too much to ask of your sales org. That conveys something as well.

I get that. If you were willing to share, I would have run back through the process to see where we went wrong.

This is the exact unit I have. The most I've seen it produce is 221w.
I discarded the included controller immediately and sourced a 100a rectifier straight to the batteries. I installed an MPPT controller in-line on 01-10-23 to test whether allowing the blades to maintain momentum (an object in motion tends to stay in motion) will show any significant gain in production. Without a "control" it wont be a very scientific comparison, but I think the logic is sound. I will try to post production data as I get it.

I discarded the included controller immediately and sourced a 100a rectifier straight to the batteries. I installed an MPPT controller in-line on 01-10-23 to test whether allowing the blades to maintain momentum (an object in motion tends to stay in motion) will show any significant gain in production. Without a "control" it wont be a very scientific comparison, but I think the logic is sound. I will try to post production data as I get it.

I'd imagine you'll get more power with an MPPT , looking forward to hearing results

NOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :)

I know it is counter intuitive to love the french. But given that they brought the metic system I am considering to doing so.
@sunshine_eggo , do you remember this holiday you had in your teens? In where you ran into this girl called Delphine?

If not, it's ok. It's a snippet of my own life. Just meant to say. The French are not discarded yet.

Back