diy solar

diy solar

Small wind turbines no longer worth it?

Sure. I would get behind that, once there was a working prototype that produced substantial power. Until then, I would probably build one of these.
incredible!! this is the first time I see a vertical wind turbine spin slowly yet produce something worthwhile. did I miss the part in where the alternator is detailed?

incredible!! this is the first time I see a vertical wind turbine spin slowly yet produce something worthwhile. did I miss the part in where the alternator is detailed?

That is a horizontal wind turbine, and it's massive. It's 2X the diameter of the typical micro HAWT.

113 sqft swept area.

There's a link in the description:

Apparently this is a commercial project as I need to buy the project plans. Perhaps I did not look hard enough.

In any case 15$ is not too much though if indeed it does as advertised. Is there anyone that can confirm the real world readiness of it?

I mean 3KW in an alternator that size is, for me, ground breaking technology.

But here comes the sad part. Even if it would hold up to scrutiny then a 3.7m wing diameter is not something I can get away with due to my local code restrictions.

The skystream 3.7 is of similar nature though and has been thoroughly tested in the field under optimum conditions. The results in that test are less than that seems to be suggested by this seller.
I have here an overview
EDIT: I made a screenshot of the data in case the link goes offline
1666952418684.png

I could be wrong though that I just did not interpret everything correctly.

All in all I am not certain, due to the many scams out there, that this turbine is for real.

Last edited:
also, I am willing to pay that dude a huge amount of money if his plans and turbine hold up to scrutiny, become open source and are 'easily' build able for anyone.

btw, if the law allows it and you guys are interested I am willing to spend 15$ on yet another scam and share the plans of it here
That’s thievery
also, I am willing to pay that dude a huge amount of money if his plans and turbine hold up to scrutiny, become open source and are 'easily' build able for anyone.
That’s a better plan

also, I am willing to pay that dude a huge amount of money if his plans and turbine hold up to scrutiny, become open source and are 'easily' build able for anyone
It's appears to be very similar to the home built turbine plans that High Piggott has given workshops on building a 20 years or more. Very solid turbines. Smaller rotors to alternators ratio is the key I believe. Speaking very roughly and not based on anything other than I interpreted from something Hugh wrote... put a 1000 watt rotor on a 2000 alternator vs. most commercial small wind turbines are putting 2000 watt rotors on 2000 watt alternators lead to turbine that will last a long time.

I suspect there are some things that most people could do in thier garage with basics tools and lots of time. Then are are other things, like the blades that will stop most people from building thier own wind turbine in thier garage.

There was a company in Colorado that was building the blades and supplying some of the others part to compliment Hugh's plans. They appear to be gone now as I full intended to buy a "kit" then collect the others locally.

I suspect there are some things that most people could do in thier garage with basics tools and lots of time. Then are are other things, like the blades that will stop most people from building thier own wind turbine in thier garage.
3d printing a mold for casting is getting more and more less out of reach for the masses.
But even though 3d printer prices drop.
We have to deal with other factors like;
* ability and availability to actualy go and sit down and do it
* costs of additional stuff like glassfiber sheets, resin, steel and what have we.

So all in all it is not a slam dunk as I would like it to be.

But with a little time to save some hard earned $ and will, one can get there.

I am trying really hard at the moment. Once I have something to celebrate I will share.

So I think we should create a new topic. As to avoid poluting the original concept of the OP.

The new topic should be about how we can legally do the following;
* make available to peers to review bought plans to see if they are sound.
* have peers demonstrate the actual operational values of the turbine or lack thereof
* democratically assess whether this venue is worth investing in.

Do we all see the catch 22? or the Dog trying to catch it's own tail?

Don’t screw james like that, I have the plans and while I didn’t build it, they appear solid and well thought out.
please report back once you actually built it. and also do not forget to document a graph of some sort putting the money where the mouth is.

Please excuse me that I sounded quite harsh just now. But it has to be done. The field is tainted with a bad rep and I am fighting to change it.

excuse me that I sounded quite harsh
Actually you sounded like you have no respect for the copyright laws and copyright holder to me.

Not all good things are free and $15 is a stinking bargain. And what you want is to create something with free engineering advice rather than paying for or gaining the education necessary to execute your own design and build. Imho
Don’t screw james like that
I don’t know James but I’m with you (I don’t know Jack either but yet I get by with my moral compass).

Just as a final note please let's just focus on the OP's topic. trying to advertise unproven commercial stuff is not what this thread should be about.

Just as a final note please let's just focus on the OP's topic. trying to advertise unproven commercial stuff is not what this thread should be about.
I suspect this tangent is right along the lines of whether or not small wind turbines are "worth it". I have watched several of James Biggar's other builds and I appreciate the craftsmanship he put's into them. Just in building this generator he shows competence in at least 5 trades. He also has several other shorter videos on this turbine build, which I recommend you engage in fully. He seems to be a homesteader/pioneer type that is probably ready for the zombie apocalypse. I would have no problem shelling out the price of a happy meal for the plans.
If you are preparing for doomsday, it may behoove you to simply rely on his alternator build ideas (which could be used in a vawt) rather than reinventing the wheel.
If you are still interested in VAWTs, check out Harmony Turbines for some ideas. I like their self-furling idea, although the turbine is a monstrosity for what it produces.

I like that we rekindled. but I am still on a mission. and that includes calling out the smell of commerce especially when it has the whift scam.

Last edited:
btw, is there anyone here that can legally install a 3.7m diameter turbine?

I am interested to learn from all of you how wide you can get in terms of code.

My local code only allows for a 2m diameter turbine and it's ridiculous. It's an arcane (even though drafted not so long ago) law that does not take into account the fact that with only 2m diam. one can't get very far with wind.

Back