diy solar

diy solar

Small wind turbines no longer worth it?

So I think we should create a new topic. As to avoid polluting the original concept of the OP.

The new topic should be about how we can legally do the following;
* make available to peers to review bought plans to see if they are sound.
* have peers demonstrate the actual operational values of the turbine or lack thereof
* democratically assess whether this venue is worth investing in.

Do we all see the catch 22? or the Dog trying to catch it's own tail?
I'm game for starting a new thread to talk about building a wind turbine that works.

But let's go with a data driven approach. Keep your emotions in check or stay out it.

I might have the quickest option yet.

I'll buy 4 plans. and give 3 of them to 3 individuals willing and able to dive deep into it. I'll do so with the 4th copy.
That is of course we if we think the turbine holds any merit to begin with. I think you all know my stance on that.
Also if no one can legally install it due to local code restrictions I am also not sure if this is an idea.

Last edited:
includes calling out the smell of commerce
I'll buy 4 plans. and give 3 of them to 3 individuals willing and able to dive deep into it. I'll do so with the 4th copy.
So you want to ‘give’ a measly $15 plan to qualified engineers to do the compulsory R&D feasibility review?! That’s like $4-$6k of work. Even a cursory carrying beam study or an engineering stamp on a simple roof system is $500

Buy the plans. Pay an appropriate licensed engineer to review.
Or buy the plans and use your engineering skillset to calculate the feasibility yourself. There’s enough guidance on this site alone- not even a wind site- to guesstimate the swept area and kW potential for a back-of-napkin review.

I give up. the level of willing not seeing actual intend and resorting to what just happend here is astounding.
Let's be all adults and keep acting like that please.
geeeeeees

So you want to ‘give’ a measly $15 plan to qualified engineers to do the compulsory R&D feasibility review?! That’s like $4-$6k of work. Even a cursory carrying beam study or an engineering stamp on a simple roof system is $500

Buy the plans. Pay an appropriate licensed engineer to review.
Or buy the plans and use your engineering skillset to calculate the feasibility yourself. There’s enough guidance on this site alone- not even a wind site- to guesstimate the swept area and kW potential for a back-of-napkin review.
the point I am trying to make mare dear fellow citizen is that I an enroumous will to to pay james an enrormous whad of geen. I issue it though that I am not qualified to asses the merit of it. Sure I have gut feelings and sure I have been at this game for long enough to siff out left from right.

If James did stoke gold, and is willing to liberate the world at large then I can and will be willing to supply the monitory source for him to set us all free.

and also, I am beginning to realize I am not in favor of a commerce driven world. But then again I also see how hellish a communist world would be.

I have no real world advice. I am sorry!

How I look at things is that I have gotten lucky. And I will share what every I come up with.

2m diameter or 1m radius does limit the power.

i wonder if a coarse metal mesh could be set up around the turbine to prevent creatures from getting too close, while also not reducing the power potential too much. maybe that would justify an exception to 2m limit

it will keep the battery topped off at nite. bad days. just got in my istabreeze. it should start working at 3.5 miles per hour. and it is well built. or i shall see.. i am looking for the real deal tho . Jacobs windmill .

Mark sorry to necro a thread, did you get the istabreeze up and running ? What do you think of it ?

Well Mike, It's amazing. Just like on those Amazing Discoveries Infomercials. ;)
Nah. of course I am joking here but wind can be worth it in certain scenario's

One of them after the bombs fell.

I realize that I sound rather down at the moment but Mr Putin is playing fast and loose in my backyard at the moment so...
But I started prepping once the Texas disaster last year came to my attention. And We had Corona woes.

Better to prepare everyone!!

2m diameter or 1m radius does limit the power.

i wonder if a coarse metal mesh could be set up around the turbine to prevent creatures from getting too close, while also not reducing the power potential too much. maybe that would justify an exception to 2m limit
Interesting point. Honestly I do not know yet why this limitation is built into my local code.
I suspect that the drafters of said code are less experienced in this particular field than would be required to draft such codes.

Then again, why I think your suggestion has merit is because we do live next to a protected nature reserve. So your suggestion might end up being the game changer needed in this particular scenario.

But on the other hand they are about to shoot 1600 deer that are out and about here. So nature has a way of getting out of hand so to say.
I mean it's kind of similar to us humans that are going wild is not it? But we do not get to do some trimming of the herd on purpose. Cough@# whuan COUGH Corona.
Sorry I had something in my thought. ;)

So I call it natural selection in where only the smart birds survive my turbine.

a melinnia down the line we have birds that pick our locks and open our jewelry safe.

Last edited:
I've yet to bump into someone that can make this statement after more than 12 months of actual experience with small wind. Please share the make and model of small wind turbine you are referencing.
You are welcome to come by the store and talk with me about our off-grid experience. You can actually see our build for our house on Youtube. It is an excellent complement to solar.

Attachments

• 2023-01-13_11-08.png
    2023-01-13_11-08.png
    97.6 KB · Views: 3
Anyway, we tend to be rather skeptical around here for good reason.
If you really want to convince this community of the soundness of your product You can send me one, I'll be more than willing to review it.

Heads up though, if it works I won't send it back ;) but you'll have your honest review

Back