diy solar

diy solar

Smart BMS - bluetooth connection but no battery data?

Joka

Hi y'all, and thanks in advance for your help on my first question here :)

I am building my first LiFePo4 bank, so everything lithium is new to me...

Problem comes with communication with the bms in my 4s setup - Qucc QJ-34U4CB.
I did all the connections carefully, even taped any exposed wires to avoid shorts, so I assume everything hardware is correct (charge and discharge is still disconnected at the moment though, but I understand it shouldn't affect the BMS itself?)

When switching the BMS on, I can hear the relay latch closed, and the bluetooth dongle led blinks. So I assume the BMS works.

I used the app they linked me to and connection to the dongle seems successful, the led gets steady when connected.
But no data at all!
I tried several other apps, some connect but say "data retrieve error", some don't even see the dongle.

If relevant, I see 2 bluetooth devices in the settings : JDY-33-SPP and JDY-33-BLE,
But the app only detects JDY-33-BLE.

I didn't manage to get data on the display either yet via RS485 (JBD-LCD02-RS485, says "connect error")

QUESTIONS :

- Is it normal to have such a struggle to make bluetooth work or am i doing something wrong?

- is it a problem that comes from the BMS, the dongle or is it possible that it comes from uncompatibility with my phone in your opinion?

- is there anything I can try to make it work?

- any suggestion on an app that could work with this BMS?

I am also in touch with QUCC customer service, which is surprizingly good for a chinese company.
They said to contact them today to talk to a technician, will update if they give me a solution.

Thanks for your help!! :)

J.

Little edit : I opened the BMS box, it contains an "AXE" brand BMS... Qucc is only the retailer.

If you had similar issues on any bms and found a solution, it could help!

Last edited:
Hell yeah, finally found the solution!

Those bums at the chinese factory made a wiring mistake when they soldered the bluetooth dongle...

They soldered UART Tx to Tx, and Rx to Rx!
The dongle manual says to connect Tx -> Rx and Rx <- Tx. Makes sense...

So if like me you purchased the Qucc 4s relay bms (QJ-34U4CB) and you don't receive data on the app, the fix is very simple :

Identify the bluetooth dongle cables, and cut the YELLOW and BLUE ones only (the red and black ones are wired properly).
Then splice the bms blue one with the dongle yellow one, and bms yellow to dongle blue. Heatshrink, and voila!

App receives data, no issues so far :)

I'm finally happy!!

Back