diy solar

diy solar

SmartShunt help

Dennis 1

Looking for some advice, this morning I was charging my batteries because the SmartShunt showed the batteries were at 0% then as it was charging the MT50 showed the battery was getting fuller but the SmartShunt was still showing 0%. I had the batteries at 13.8% each before connecting them in parallel and it was at 100% at that time when I hooked it up, then it just dropped off to 0% and then the highest it went was 2%. By mistake I had the charge voltage set to 95% (don't know where my head was at) and then put it to 14.6% last night.

Right now all the batteries are all testing 13.45% with my multimeter with the charger hooked up.

This shunt is new to me and so is the Victron Lynx Power-In. I only have the Victron inverter being used right now just to get this straightened out and it is running on ECO Mode.

I watched the video where Will is talking about the shunt and how it was set up (which persuaded me to buy it). I have 3 Mighty Max 100ah lithium batteries hooked up in parallel (hoping this is best way to get the most out of the batteries)

I don't know if I need to unhook it and reset it or what my problem is. I don't think the shunt is bad.

Attachments

• 20220118_083306.jpg
    20220118_083306.jpg
    126.6 KB · Views: 35
  • 20220118_090154.jpg
    20220118_090154.jpg
    156 KB · Views: 37
  • Screenshot_20220117-164205.jpg
    Screenshot_20220117-164205.jpg
    173.8 KB · Views: 35
  • Screenshot_20220118-083329.jpg
    Screenshot_20220118-083329.jpg
    118.3 KB · Views: 28
  • Screenshot_20220118-083343.jpg
    Screenshot_20220118-083343.jpg
    123.9 KB · Views: 26
I'm wondering if your tail is too high at 4%. Maybe lower it to .5%

According to the quick start installations step 11. Charge voltage 13.2 Puekert exponent 1.05.

I’m kinda having the same problem. the instructions seam lacking to me. I have all my setting as per step 11 but for 48v system. Wen to bed last night at 54.4v at 96% woke up at 51.1v at 53%. Don’t get it.

This is really confusing. Are you using % (percent) to refer to voltage? Even after making mental substitutions its confusing... sorry.
Sorry yes the % should have been voltage, except the 0% was what charge the battery had left. But the MT50 thats hooked to the charge controller looks like there is about 1/2 to 3/4 charge left in the battery

The way you have your batteries wired is less than optimal.

Go to this page of the Forum's Resources section and download the "Wiring Unlimited" document. Begin reading the topic "Battery bank wiring" on page 16.

The battery wiring configuration probably isn't your main problem, but it's something that should be addressed eventually.

Go to this page of the Forum's Resources section and download the "Wiring Unlimited" document. Begin reading the topic "Battery bank wiring" on page 16.

The battery wiring configuration probably isn't your main problem, but it's something that should be addressed eventually.
I will do that thank you

Are you charging with the Noco charger shown in one of the photos? If so, you need to connect the negative clip of the charger to the stud of the smartshunt that's further away from the battery. Otherwise smartshunt won't pick up the charge current. I think MT50 probably just uses the battery voltage for SoC so that's why it's increasing.

I don't know if I need to unhook it and reset it or what my problem is. I don't think the shunt is bad.
The 'charged voltage' setting for the shunt setup may to high so the sync to 100% is not occurring.
When charging by solar set to 0.1 or 0.2 volts lower than the charge voltage. For example if the charge voltage set on the solar charger is 14.4volts ( Epever call this boost voltage) then set the smart shunt to 14.3 volts.

There may be other issues as the shunt is showing odd values.

The shunt must be connected to the battery negative with nothing else connected to the battery negative except other battery negatives where multiple batteries are used. All circuit negative connect to the other end of the shunt,all chargers and loads. The Victron liturature makes this clear. The picture shows other negatives connected to the battery.
The shunt output cable connected to the lynx negative buss bar, all system negatives, chargers and Inverter, connect to the buss bar

The mt50 is showing very low panel volts.

A circuit diagram would be useful.

Mike

Are you charging with the Noco charger shown in one of the photos? If so, you need to connect the negative clip of the charger to the stud of the smartshunt that's further away from the battery. Otherwise smartshunt won't pick up the charge current. I think MT50 probably just uses the battery voltage for SoC so that's why it's increasing.
The shunt must be connected to the battery negative with nothing else connected to the battery negative except other battery negatives where multiple batteries are used. All circuit negative connect to the other end of the shunt,all chargers and loads.
@jwu_cc and @mikefitz have identified at least one of the problems the OP has. He's charging the batteries without including the Shunt in the charging circuit. There may (probably?) be some other issues, but that is an obvious one in the photo.

The 'charged voltage' setting for the shunt setup may to high so the sync to 100% is not occurring.
When charging by solar set to 0.1 or 0.2 volts lower than the charge voltage. For example if the charge voltage set on the solar charger is 14.4volts ( Epever call this boost voltage) then set the smart shunt to 14.3 volts.

There may be other issues as the shunt is showing odd values.

The shunt must be connected to the battery negative with nothing else connected to the battery negative except other battery negatives where multiple batteries are used. All circuit negative connect to the other end of the shunt,all chargers and loads. The Victron liturature makes this clear. The picture shows other negatives connected to the battery.
The shunt output cable connected to the lynx negative buss bar, all system negatives, chargers and Inverter, connect to the buss bar

The mt50 is showing very low panel volts.

A circuit diagram would be useful.

Mike
Hope this helps any help would be appreciated

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    122.9 KB · Views: 13

Hi thank you again for the info and I'm sure this is not the only time this pamphlet will come in handy.

I read the whole section on "Battery Bank Wiring" when it got to the end it showed 4 correct ways to wire in my case 3 batteries and the way I have mine wired is "diagonally".

I have my positives wired together and the negative together the positive comes off the 3rd battery and goes to my battery cut off then to the Victron Power-In. The negative goes off my 1st battery to the Smart Shunt then to the Power-In.

I hope this is right if not please let me know what I did wrong so I can correct it. Thanks Again

Per @Horsefly, do not connect where shown and X'd out.

Connect where circled:

View attachment 80444
Thank you for the input I just hooked the charger up the way you were saying (we have had no sun in days) I am anxious to see how this works. I just automatically hooked the charger to the positive and negative on the batteries positive on the 3rd battery and negative on the 1st battery. Thanks Again

Thank you for the input I just hooked the charger up the way you were saying (we have had no sun in days) I am anxious to see how this works. I just automatically hooked the charger to the positive and negative on the batteries positive on the 3rd battery and negative on the 1st battery. I did hook the negative from the charger to the system bolt and not the battery one I'm hoping that was correct Thanks Again

Back