diy solar

diy solar

Smoke is bumming me out

Jgoodman

So the fire season is active here, last night had the fan running and now the system is dead. No solar, no power. The problem is not the sun, it’s that the sun can not penetrate the smoke, what can I do to get beyond this? Do I need a bigger battery bank? I know that I need to change out my batteries for either lithium or golf cart batteries but should I expect more ah out of those or plan for expanding of the bank to get me by in the smoky/ winter/ dark seasons

When conditions are smoky, cloudy, rainy, whatever, more PV can help. A panel that is aimed properly will also help. But when 90% of the sun is blocked, there's only so much you can do. At least for me, that's why I keep the on-board generator in my RV. Just in case.

How big is your PV? Even in dark rain cloudy days, SOME solar gets through, a 1000w array can still output 50 or so watts…
Lead acid needs rapid recharge when depleted to 50%, if depleted to inverter cutoff, they won’t survive many days… a bigger bank will get you more time without sun, but you will need more PV to recharge it. A generator of some type will be needed. Gas, wind, hydro, or more PV…
Lithium doesn’t have the issue of needing rapid recharge, or a 50% depletion window, and it has a higher charging efficiency, meaning low wattage trickling in will make it to the battery, when lead acid won’t accept it unless it is above a minimum threshold…

How big is your PV? Even in dark rain cloudy days, SOME solar gets through, a 1000w array can still output 50 or so watts…
Lead acid needs rapid recharge when depleted to 50%, if depleted to inverter cutoff, they won’t survive many days… a bigger bank will get you more time without sun, but you will need more PV to recharge it. A generator of some type will be needed. Gas, wind, hydro, or more PV…
Lithium doesn’t have the issue of needing rapid recharge, or a 50% depletion window, and it has a higher charging efficiency, meaning low wattage trickling in will make it to the battery, when lead acid won’t accept it unless it is above a minimum threshold…
Bit the bullet today and ordered 4 100ah battle born lifepo 12 volts. My Pv is 710 and I’m looking to upgrade that as well. Looking to add At least 2 more panels that would peak it out at 1420. Possibly going to 6 panels. All panels are 355 watt 40 volt open circuit

With this large a battery bank, you REALLY need more solar. So get that going soon. The larger bank will extend the run time, but only until THEY drop into discharge level… and with the small solar, it will take WEEKS to recharge when foggy…

With this large a battery bank, you REALLY need more solar. So get that going soon. The larger bank will extend the run time, but only until THEY drop into discharge level… and with the small solar, it will take WEEKS to recharge when foggy…
I know that I'm not comparing apples to apples here but I'd like to reinforce your recommendation to the op here. I have a somewhat similar (although stationary off-grid home) set up in a 24v system and am running with 2400 watts of panels.

I know that I'm not comparing apples to apples here but I'd like to reinforce your recommendation to the op here. I have a somewhat similar (although stationary off-grid home) set up in a 24v system and am running with 2400 watts of panels.
What’s the specs of your system

I've got 2400 watts of panels (8X300) going into a Midnite 250 scc paired with a Schneider 4024 inverter. I have 280ah of lifepo4 (8x3.2 280ah cells). With your 4 100ah batteries @ 12v that would be equivalent to 200hr @ 24v.

Bit the bullet today and ordered 4 100ah battle born lifepo 12 volts. My Pv is 710 and I’m looking to upgrade that as well. Looking to add At least 2 more panels that would peak it out at 1420. Possibly going to 6 panels. All panels are 355 watt 40 volt open circuit
Yikes....I never would have gotten into solar if I had to buy Battle Born batteries. Seems if people can set up solar farms, they can set up a DIY battery bank. 400ah from Battle Born is basically $4000. 15% off on their last sale. 560ah DIY costs $1000. For a 4th the price you get more AH and a smart BMS to give you more control than the BB option with no control.

Yikes....I never would have gotten into solar if I had to buy Battle Born batteries. Seems if people can set up solar farms, they can set up a DIY battery bank. 400ah from Battle Born is basically $4000. 15% off on their last sale. 560ah DIY costs $1000. For a 4th the price you get more AH and a smart BMS to give you more control than the BB option with no control.
well I figure if I’m gonna do the solar thing I better do it like a pro. The pros all seem to use the lifepo batteries so I shall as well, throw some more panels at it and a wind generator and keep perfecting ?‍♂️

well I figure if I’m gonna do the solar thing I better do it like a pro. The pros all seem to use the lifepo batteries so I shall as well, throw some more panels at it and a wind generator and keep perfecting ?‍♂️
wasn't commenting on your choice of lithium, it was the cost of buying Battle Born vs. the DIY solutions as in the example I wrote.

Back