diy solar

diy solar

snowmobile trailer solar panel

shepherd1205

have been doing research on a solar setup for my enclosed snowmobile trailer and came across the solar generators. was wondering has anyone used these along with a diesel heater and some led lights and also maybe run a crock pot off it at the same time? would it handle it or would it go dead right away. the diesel heater pulls about 11 amps at start up and drops to just a couple amps after that. so total im guessing it would be 15 amps i would need at max. right now i am running everything off a 12volt deep cycle battery. and charging it with the alternator off the truck. but am wanting to add some solar to keep it up charge when the vehicle isnt running. so can these small solar generators keep up with say a 100watt panel on top of the trailer and also can it also be hooked up to charge off the vehicle with out having to seperate the systems. thanks.

You'll just have to get a big enough one. there are several units that will do 1500w.

crock pot will be a challenge. many are 1000-1200w that dosnt leave much headroom.

the general rule is 5 hrs of sun. so a 100w pannel will make 500w for the day. that is a tinny fraction of what it sounds like you'll use.

small inverter generator is going to be much more fuel efficient than idling your truck, power what you want to power and cost a fraction of the larger solar generators.

Back