diy solar

diy solar

SO DON’T QUOTE ME – but EPSOLAR can be pushed to 150% --

ghostwriter66

"Here - Hold my Beer"
EE from LAX CA -work in SouthTX for giant evil Oil
I am talking about the EPSOLAR Tracer 30A 40A MPPT Solar Charge Controller 3215BN 4215BN

So we have done allot of weird testing with the EPSOLAR line of SCC. These things are literally bulletproof. We have had a couple 4510BN running at 150% of their rated capacity for almost 6 months and no issue … taking these things apart and doing internal measurements I would NOT push it past 150% though because I think that that is right at their max – BUT while most Chinese equipment (especially BMS’s) you need to cut the rating in half (if it says 40A at 21A it smokes) – apparently EPSOLAR is just the reverse … NOW let me caveat this – THIS IS JUST ME saying this NOT EPSOLAR … We have talked to EPSOLAR many times and they “unofficially” agree with our findings … but once again - its ME not them saying this ...

NOW with that said pushing the PV limit is NOT going to help you with the CHARGE (A) at the battery – its going to pee out 40A (or 30A) if you stand on it or not – BUT for all of you that was nervous about going OVER the limit – well – hopefully this helps ..

ONCE AGAIN – YES I’M CHINESE – NO I DON’T WORK FOR EPSOLAR – YES I OFTEN THINK I’M BRILLIANT and am found wrong often – YES I have the OSHA record for most fires started in this county (no seriously - I do!!)(apparently they don't actually give awrards out for that though) -- SO TAKE ALL OF THAT INTO CONSIDERATION

But if your batteries aren't getting the full charge (A) that it should because you are nervous about adding a cell (or 2) .. then I would give it a shot ...

This message was brought to you in part by the PECOS COUNTY VFD who knows me on a first name basis ...

But if you have any questions please drop jasmine0906@epsolarpv.com AND helpdesk@epsolarpv.com a note and they can answer .. They speak PERFECT English and normally have an answer to you in 1-2 days ...

1588779327736.png

Last edited:
I have the 4215BN, it has been great. What capacity did you exceed at 150%?

Those Tracer BN controllers are built like tanks.
Renogy sold them with their name on them as a Commander model.
There was a recent thread here where some dude called Renogy support because he was so worried about putting 400 watts of panels on his 20A BN with Only 390 watt pv input and they told him it would catch on ? fire!!! Lol
He called them several times getting the same answer. ?
No amount of reasoning and showing him the manual could convince him that there was nothing to worry about seeing that the manual said 580? watts was max pv array size.

Last edited:
That's some good tech support right there, ha.
I don't know why max watts is specified as a limit for an mppt controller input. This means limiting not only input voltage but also amps, which causes confusion. The controller is going to use only the amps needed, at something less than the array's Voc, to provide up to its rated output amps. Any amount of "extra" PV amps "available" isn't hurting anything, except your budget. It is confusing to state a limit on anything more than the input voltage, but I went out and checked and found that it's common. I suppose I'm missing something. All right, bed time.

For the OSHA record is there a plaque or just a certificate ?

Back