diy solar

diy solar

So it begins.. the 570 sf off grid solar cabin. Follow my journey.

Starfish Prime

Hello all, greetings from North Alabama. I've watched maybe 20 of Will's videos on YT and followed him here to this forum. Will, if you're reading: Thanks for all you've done to inspire me to do this. We purchased 9.5 acres of cotton field in 2016 and after 3 years of back breaking labor, have carved out a horse farm with 3 paddocks, a 4 stall shed row barn, and now, wait for it..... a 570 square foot off grid solar cabin!

The cabin is new construction with 230V split phase traditional wiring. We are installing a Pioneer 24 SEER mini split AC system and using propane for heat and for some appliances. The biggest challenges are the AC, water heater, and clothes dryer. Our solution is 1600 watts of panels, a Schneider Electric Conext SW2524 Inverter at 48V, and a Champion remote start capable inverter generator. Batteries are Trojan golf cart deep cycle (for now). Will upgrade to something better when these die and more money is available. I'm in North Alabama so we average at least 5.5 hours peak sunshine in the summer, when we need AC the most. The Pioneer unit uses a couple amps and about 800 watts at most. It's extremely efficient and much care was taken with the cabin insulation.
BTW, type your zip code in here to see your peak sun by the month: https://tyconsystems.com/html/nrel_lookup.htm

The Panels will carry us through the day and you can program the Conext to activate the generator start at any level of battery depletion. So I'll set it to power up when the batteries are at 60% and it'll shut off when they reach capacity. The Conext will take any incoming voltage and supply my main panel with 230V 60hz split phase power.
Link: https://solar.schneider-electric.com/product/conext-sw-na/

I'll be taking one of the two elements out of the water heater and put it on a timer. If this proves to be unfeasible we'll go with a wall mount Bosch 110V on demand unit for the shower. I've used these and they're awesome. The clothes dryer is on a 30 amp breaker and typically uses 23-25 amps so it will be on a dedicated circuit tied to an inexpensive 5500 watt non-inverter generator. It will only see 1-2 hours use a couple times a week. (Some times the brute force method is best)

Coffee maker > donated. Learn to use a French press. Thank me later.

I am not an electrical engineer and this is a learning experience so I'll be sharing what works and what doesn't. I am purchasing the parts of the system over the next 2-4 weeks so I'll keep you posted with pics.

IMG_7600.JPG

BTW, forgot to mention: If any of this looks bass-ackwards it's because we didn't plan to do solar from the git-go. We are 800 feet from the road and the local power pirates want $14,000 to run power to my meter base. This was after the 30 amp water heater and electric dryer went in.

Sooo.... we're gonna do it the solar way. I've already made some costly mistakes and may make a few more but by golly we're gonna get it done.

Lemme know if you need any conservation tips.

Insulation is the key.
WELL DONE SMART INSULATION.
Focus on sealing air movement. Insulation is useless if air moves through it.

Post some pics of inside! I am guessing the upstairs has a peak vaulted ceiling, not a flat one?

Lemme know if you need any conservation tips.

Insulation is the key.
WELL DONE SMART INSULATION.
Focus on sealing air movement. Insulation is useless if air moves through it.

Thank you for the offer, I may take you up on it!
We were especially careful of drafts and leaks. My main residence is a 102 year old home with poor insulation and it's very drafty. No fun in the winter. So yes, I took care of that in the cabin.
The difference is amazing.

Post some pics of inside! I am guessing the upstairs has a peak vaulted ceiling, not a flat one?

No, the first level is 9 foot beaded board ceilings. The 2nd level is attic storage that we may finish at a later date.
I'll get some more pics in a day or so when this rain stops. Thanks for your interest.
BTW, I saw your sig. My wife is an Oracle data base programmer for a gov't agency that has 3 letters.

No, the first level is 9 foot beaded board ceilings. The 2nd level is attic storage that we may finish at a later date.
I'll get some more pics in a day or so when this rain stops. Thanks for your interest.
BTW, I saw your sig. My wife is an Oracle data base programmer for a gov't agency that has 3 letters.
I like what you're doing and it looks really REALLY nice, great job! FYI, it would cost me about $15,000 just for the privilege of being a member of the greedy grid club, where the cost of power, like taxes, always goes upward and drives deeper into your pocket every year, and nobody cares! But, because I care amongst a herd of common core clueless careless who are programmed only to helplessly say, "thank you mam may I have another, (rate and tax hike)", I am doing what you are doing; getting off my duff, rolling up my sleeves, taking on challenges and taking charge of the direction of life instead of being a helpless, programmed sheeple! Keep up the great work!

The shade from a large tree is the equivalent of two powerful air conditioners running 20 hours a day. Your beautiful cabin is smack dab baking in the direct sunlight.

The shade from a large tree is the equivalent of two powerful air conditioners running 20 hours a day. Your beautiful cabin is smack dab baking in the direct sunlight.

We bought 9.5 acres of cotton field. Not too many trees in a cotton field. I used high ceilings, reflective insulation, and some other tactics to lessen the suns impact. With a all the windows open on a 90 degree day it’s actually pleasant.

Are you at elevation? How cold can Alabama get? I am planning to spend a couple of days in Fairhope in February and wonder if I will need a scarf!
Fairhope is down near the coast and very pleasant in February. But you never know what you’ll get that time of year. Could be 59... could be 80. Count on cool notes and breezy humid days.

Hello all, greetings from North Alabama. I've watched maybe 20 of Will's videos on YT and followed him here to this forum. Will, if you're reading: Thanks for all you've done to inspire me to do this. We purchased 9.5 acres of cotton field in 2016 and after 3 years of back breaking labor, have carved out a horse farm with 3 paddocks, a 4 stall shed row barn, and now, wait for it..... a 570 square foot off grid solar cabin!

The cabin is new construction with 230V split phase traditional wiring. We are installing a Pioneer 24 SEER mini split AC system and using propane for heat and for some appliances. The biggest challenges are the AC, water heater, and clothes dryer. Our solution is 1600 watts of panels, a Schneider Electric Conext SW2524 Inverter at 48V, and a Champion remote start capable inverter generator. Batteries are Trojan golf cart deep cycle (for now). Will upgrade to something better when these die and more money is available. I'm in North Alabama so we average at least 5.5 hours peak sunshine in the summer, when we need AC the most. The Pioneer unit uses a couple amps and about 800 watts at most. It's extremely efficient and much care was taken with the cabin insulation.
BTW, type your zip code in here to see your peak sun by the month: https://tyconsystems.com/html/nrel_lookup.htm

The Panels will carry us through the day and you can program the Conext to activate the generator start at any level of battery depletion. So I'll set it to power up when the batteries are at 60% and it'll shut off when they reach capacity. The Conext will take any incoming voltage and supply my main panel with 230V 60hz split phase power.
Link: https://solar.schneider-electric.com/product/conext-sw-na/

I'll be taking one of the two elements out of the water heater and put it on a timer. If this proves to be unfeasible we'll go with a wall mount Bosch 110V on demand unit for the shower. I've used these and they're awesome. The clothes dryer is on a 30 amp breaker and typically uses 23-25 amps so it will be on a dedicated circuit tied to an inexpensive 5500 watt non-inverter generator. It will only see 1-2 hours use a couple times a week. (Some times the brute force method is best)

Coffee maker > donated. Learn to use a French press. Thank me later.

I am not an electrical engineer and this is a learning experience so I'll be sharing what works and what doesn't. I am purchasing the parts of the system over the next 2-4 weeks so I'll keep you posted with pics.

View attachment 1448
Good luck: sounds like you're doing a great job.and thanks to will . think about it . We would all be a lot further behind and have less $$$ in our pockets. I've had 3 cabins all off the grid . Two things that have done for us is 12 volt lights (because no inverter needed) and the Chinese hundred dollar on demand propane hot water heaters with 3dc batterys for a inighter.both are items to have to use each day...

On Demand water heater IS the way to go, no doubt about it and avoiding the cheapo's is sensible, you did good with that purchase. No a Marey or EccoTemp…. (I have an Eccotemp (basic and not great) but my Takagi is one serious beast ! unfortunaterly it's for my radiant heating (dedicated).

Second on the Shade Trees ! They pay back without cost but hey, I live in a forest and made use of the trees which was worthwhile.

if your interested in seeing what I built (All DIY including the design & submitted blueprints)
My Cabin Overview:
- FPSF Slab Foundation REF LINK: https://www.finehomebuilding.com/2010/11/11/frost-protected-shallow-foundations-2
- Radiant Heating in floor (*it's WONDERFUL and efficient) provided by REF: https://www.radiantcompany.com/
- Cool Roof System (saved 25-30% of Heating & Cooling costs and is incredible ! REF: http://www.houstoncoolmetalroofs.com/cool-roof-information/cool-roof-design-texas/
- Rain Screen Siding method (used Live Edge White Cedar as my finish) REF: https://www.greenbuildingadvisor.com/article/all-about-rainscreens
-- INSULATION: (All obtained from Commercial Roofers - not available in retail land)
--- 4" XPS Under the FPSF Slab and out the sides (wings) 24" providing R20, double code requirement.
--- 5.25" High Density EPS-2 Foam between 2x6 studs R32)
--- 7,5" Paper Faced PolyISO between Rafters (Cathedral Ceiling, roof is 9/12 Pitch)
Appliances:
- Water Pump: Grundfos SQ-5, Soft Start 120V Deep Well pump, 260' deep pushing to 50 Gal Pressure tank then 75' to Cabin. Max Wattage 1000W @ 45PSI. REF: https://us.grundfos.com/products/find-product/sq.html
- Unique Offgrid Classic propane cook stove: REF: https://uniqueappliances.com/
- Danby (Magic Chef same) Apartment Size Energy Star Fridge (uses 220kwh per yr)
- EccoTemp FVI12-LP On-Demand Water Heater for Hot Water. (not suggested, get a 45 series or better brand !)
- Takagi TH-3-m Condensing On-Demand Heater (used for Radiant Heating exclusively as I had Antifreeze in my system) (got from Radiant Supplier best deal out there)
**NB** I run a separate Hot Water System from my Radiant System. The other option is to use one On-Demand unit for both, very possible and not hard, The Radiant Company can design it either way for you, no extra charge, it's a part of their service and I can only PRAISE Them for their amazing work, quality products & support, and I do "not" praise anyone lightly !

The efficiency is a win with the slab & hyper insulation. Winter -30C, inside 25C, Radiant only run 2 hrs within a 24 hour period to maintain 25C (floor sensor). Summer: 35C outside, 21C inside, NO AC or Fans just open windows. Slab itself never goers above 20C in summer, it regulates everything inside. Should Note, I am on the South Face of a Granite Ridge, 1200 foot fall in front of me, this property get's the heat & in a bad heatwave 40C is not a shocker. The Cabin itself is shaded by Scotch Pines on the south & west sides and nestled into a forest nook. Solar System is mounted to the side of a 20' Sea Can 50' from Power House.

Maybe some fast-growing trees. Moringa?

Starfish.... wondering about your choice of inverter. We too use a Schneider inverter/charger but it is a 4048, which is a 48vdc inverter. Unless I am mistaken the Schneider 2524 is a 24vdc inverter. You stated you are going with a 48v system.... just wondering if I missed something.

BTW, forgot to mention: If any of this looks bass-ackwards it's because we didn't plan to do solar from the git-go. We are 800 feet from the road and the local power pirates want $14,000 to run power to my meter base. This was after the 30 amp water heater and electric dryer went in.

Sooo.... we're gonna do it the solar way. I've already made some costly mistakes and may make a few more but by golly we're gonna get it done.
Boy power pirates is the truth!
It will cost me 18k just to buy in to the power system here in Wyoming. Thats alot of dough for solar!

Power Pirates, Hydro One wanted $55K 1km away and replace 2 poles belonging to others and upgrading their transformer too to handle me, it stayed where it was. Not interested in paying that to be in servitude to Big Power Co (Hydro one is privatised , power generation is not, yet).

I wonder about using the pioneer unit to heat water. Modules are available for most any refrigeration compressor system do do this and greatly enhance efficiency of the a/c or refrigerator when the dhw will take on heat.

Reverse cycle chiller air source heat pumps and solar go together really well and can be directly employed to heat water with the right model.

Back