diy solar

diy solar

So why not use a normal portable car seat heater instead of a heating pad?

Scph9002

Solar Enthusiast
Please dont tell me "proper" heating pads has some proprietary technology that does something a normal 25 buck ass warmer cant do to to justify a 200 usd mark up price as the battleborn heating pad.

What portable car seat heater are you looking at?
not any specific but thy are all the same, I got one at home but i use it for its intended purpose.. to heat my bum:p Im sure lifepo4 cells are more durable than my ass and these heaters dont burn nor let my bum freeze

Don't jump to conclusions. Sorry, I'm going to tell you.

The "proprietary" technology they use switches on below 35F and switches off at 45F so you can charge LFP properly. Also so it doesn't drain your battery needlessly by trying to take it any higher in temp.

The cheapskate solution by using poor quality heating pads not designed for this application, but to cook your bum, only draws current needlessly and takes the cells higher in temperature than they need to be.

The goofball cheapskate solutions suggested only further drive manufacturers away from the DIY market, drive up prices, and certainly shortens the life of warranty offerings in the future.

Don't jump to conclusions. Sorry, I'm going to tell you.

The "proprietary" technology they use switches on below 35F and switches off at 45F so you can charge LFP properly. Also so it doesn't drain your battery needlessly by trying to take it any higher in temp.

The cheapskate solution by using poor quality heating pads not designed for this application, but to cook your bum, only draws current needlessly and takes the cells higher in temperature than they need to be.

The goofball cheapskate solutions suggested only further drive manufacturers away from the DIY market, drive up prices, and certainly shortens the life of warranty offerings in the future.

Second post in this forum..

Im pretty sure 200usd is just a blatant ripoff.

Or a number of other little thermostats if you prefer Fahrenheit over Celsius. This is one I have: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B076YD8H19

It operates on 24VDC, but there is another version of the same device that runs on 12VDC if that's what you need. There are a number of inexpensive heating pads out there on Amazon and Aliexpress.

Someone on here awhile back suggested this model made for water tanks:

The thermostat swings from 45 to 68 degrees. Lithium can go colder but maybe one of these would work. At least they have a thermostat vs. the pads for aquariums and stuff that are always on.

That link is kinda broken, but not really: "That item can not be shipped to the United States"
It is a

W1209 LED Digital Thermostat Temperature Control Thermometer​

I don't switch anything directly through these type of boards but go through another relay or one of these things

mosfet trigger switch as a 12v relay @ 40cents each.

$200 for an electric element is a fantastic idea... at least if you're the owner of the company selling it to suckers.

Regulating temperature is easy with snap-disc thermostats. These are super reliable, simple devices that are ridiculously cheap..
Here's one that opens 45 and closes at 37 and can handle 16 amps..

Hook that to any heater device within specs and you have a nice temperature controlled heater.

Here is a seedling heater pad for $12 on amazon.. it has its own built in thermostat.. Hook it to the snap disc device and your heater now has a secondary backup cut-off switch.

Don't want to run the heater off 120 volts? 12 volt heaters are a dime-a-dozen as well.

quick question, why do you need the voltage control? and where would you set that up in the circuit? does the voltage control prevent the heating pad from using too much energy?

quick question, why do you need the voltage control? and where would you set that up in the circuit? does the voltage control prevent the heating pad from using too much energy?
This is a tough call I am still sorting out. I had planned on a higher voltage for the BMS cut off and let the heaters continue to run bypassing the BMS but with their own disconnect. This way the RV furnace and other systems would be cut and save energy for the heaters. I would want the solar to get busy as soon as the sun comes up.

With time thinking about this it may not be the best idea. Probably skip the voltage controller until an actual issue arises.

Back