diy solar

diy solar

SoC limits with Grid charger

ed209

I'm looking to build a grid-charged LiFePO4 pack because in the summer my peak energy cost is 6x the cost of super off-peak (9 cents vs 56 cents per kWh, yay San Diego)

Basically, this system: https://www.mobile-solarpower.com/the-classic-400-watt-rvs-vans-buses.html
...but instead of solar, a grid-connected charger like one of the progressive dynamics units.

I want to maximize my charge cycles by using ~20%-80% state of charge on the battery.

Since I'm using grid and not a solar charge controller, how do I limit max charge?

And I believe I can limit my discharge with a battery protect?

Will also add an automatic transfer switch with the battery charger on a timer.

I'm looking to build a grid-charged LiFePO4 pack because in the summer my peak energy cost is 6x the cost of super off-peak (9 cents vs 56 cents per kWh, yay San Diego)

Basically, this system: https://www.mobile-solarpower.com/the-classic-400-watt-rvs-vans-buses.html
...but instead of solar, a grid-connected charger like one of the progressive dynamics units.

I want to maximize my charge cycles by using ~20%-80% state of charge on the battery.

Since I'm using grid and not a solar charge controller, how do I limit max charge?

And I believe I can limit my discharge with a battery protect?

Will also add an automatic transfer switch with the battery charger on a timer.

Alternatively put your timer in front of an inverter/charger with a built in transfer switch and Bob's yer uncle.

Code:
grid->timer->inverter/charger<->battery
                     |
                     ->computer_and_stuff

Can you recommend a brand and model to start research?

I found the Victron Energy Blue Smart IP67 (as a name brand starting point) but there’s not a lot of details about charge settings.

Appreciate your help!

You can change quite a bit in the Victron smart controllers using their smartphone app and also, if you prefer, a PC. You can customise the current, voltages, times allowed in absorption etc. Check the victronconnect manual. Victron releases firmware updates for the units and often adds features so it pays to keep up to date too.

What gnubie said. Victron's gear is REALLY configurable. I bought one of their inverter/charger combo units and it lets me control charge current, various points in the charge program, and the minimum discharge level for the inverter side.

Back