diy solar

diy solar

SOC Problem with Chargery firmware version 4.0???

and to confirm after loading the firmware 3 times - my current calibration stayed
i calibrated with 5A since that was all i had & it matches my Bogart display within an amp or 2 - close enough

Mine started to show correct SOC after I defaulted it.
However
The current does not go negative (below 0) when there is a net load.
If I am charging with say 6amps, and turn on a 4amp load, the current reading drops to 4amps. All good. However if I turn off the charging so that there are 0 amps, and turn on the 2a load, the current stays at 0amps.
Has anyone else tested this.?
Could be an easy fix in the firmware.

Also - Shouldn't charging current be negative and discharging current be positive, like other BMS's show.?

I tried to update firmware. Driver added with success message.
Identifies chargery at COM 5 and in device manager.
hit update after selectIng correct firmware file.
and nothing. Ultimately get time out message. Any suggestions?45694B28-754D-4FB9-9242-3A91B010BF09.jpeg

Attachments

• C2C095C3-E79D-4C7B-88D3-F32CCFAE5AB2.jpeg
    C2C095C3-E79D-4C7B-88D3-F32CCFAE5AB2.jpeg
    65.2 KB · Views: 5
Also - Shouldn't charging current be negative and discharging current be positive, like other BMS's show.?
However
If I am charging with say 6amps, and turn on a 4amp load, the current reading drops to 4amps. All good. However if I turn off the charging so that there are 0 amps, and turn on the 2a load, the current stays at 0amps.
Correction. I calibrated the shunt with charge, then discharge amps, and all is well now.

I tried to update firmware. Driver added with success message.
Identifies chargery at COM 5 and in device manager.
hit update after selectIng correct firmware file.
and nothing. Ultimately get time out message. Any suggestions?View attachment 16299
Did you extract the zip file, then select the .hex file.? Did you reboot PC, then check com port and try again.?

Hi Paul,
Hmmmm. I did not restart the PC. I did select the correct hex file or so I thought. The file name is shown in the screenshot I attached.
The PC recognized the device after installing the driver. And it was corresponded COM 5 in the device manager.

was restarting PC after installing the device driver another step?

I guess I can try again.
Thank you
Doug

However

I can confirm that defaulting did the trick for me (at least to get the SoC not be stuck at '0%'. Also the 'Battery Power WH' option came available in the sense of usable to set it with 'up' and 'down'.

So what I did: | V1.22 // V3.03 | => | Default Setting | => | Flash V4.0 to main unit | => | Flash V4.0 to LCD unit | => | Restart | => | Default Setting | => | Restart | => Set it up!

Don't know if every step I did, did actually something, but this is what I did and it certainly worked or at least did 'something'.

I think it is some conflict with the stored values for the settings and the new firmware uses it somewhat different and if it still has the layout for V1.22, it is in conflict, hence maybe the 'stuck at -1Wh'. But I'm not making a statement, just a wild guess, don't know how the code is written.

The SoC is still not that accurate now (off by ~10%), but I will see tomorrow if the battery is charged all the way up, if I can make it work correctly.

Hope this helps someone!

I found my issue. We had downloaded the wrong hex file initially. I feel silly. Didn’t read closely.
I second the recommendation of reading the instructions!

Just a quick update to the thread. Updated to BMS v4.05 and had the same zero SoC showing at around 90% plus actual charge and it would shut off the discharge relay because it thought the battery was so low.

Found this thread, reset to default values and the SoC is much more healthy looking now. Just make sure to power it off and back on again and all the relays will get power.

However I am trying out these Solid State Relays

CG SSR-400DD 400A 220V 380V 600V Voltage Single 1Phase JGX DC Control DC Heat Sink 3-32VDC To 5-220VDC 400A DD Solid State Relay​

using them for the charging side.
The BMS gives the SSR a 11.5V activation voltage, and that should be sufficient to activate them but when testing continuity thru the high amperage side of the relay, there is nothing. Shows open circuit.
I isolated it completely and tried a range of activating voltages all the way up to 32VDC and still nothing. No continuity on the high amperage side.
Tried another one (I bought several) and still nothing. Anyone have any idea what I am doing wrong?

The SSR's for our application would require proper lugs not tiny screws.
Very Few companies make such beasts and they are crazy expensive, hence why Jason developed the DCC's.

Am I understanding that those with Firmware versions 4.0 should just reset the BMS to default settings to get the SOC info corrected?
I helped a friend assemble a 4 cell, 12V, 280Ah battery and this issue has persisted (SOC stuck @ zero).

Thank you
Doug

I would recommend going to at least 4.03 ... and the latest probably better.

I've never had a problem with the SOC being stuck at zero .... I have had a problem with it gointg to 100% SOC when powered off and on ..... I would reset defaults and follow the initial setup in the manual to a T.
Make sure you have the newest version of manual.

Am I understanding that those with Firmware versions 4.0 should just reset the BMS to default settings to get the SOC info corrected?
I helped a friend assemble a 4 cell, 12V, 280Ah battery and this issue has persisted (SOC stuck @ zero).

Thank you
Doug
I am on 4.05 version and had the same issue. It shows that it can see the full charge (24v plus) but SoC was zero. Just do a software reset and reboot and it started working fine.

I have mentioned this several times,
BE CERTAIN that the Shunt Surfaces are "clean" and no waxes or oil residues are on it. It WILL muff up readings, Guaranteed.
(wipe down with Rubbing Alcohol)
Same goes for the Ring Terminals on the Shunt Leads.
The RED Wire on the Shunt Leads is ALWAYS towards the Battery !
Shunt is installed on the Negative Side only.
Ensure that the connections to the BMS Main Unit are firmly & properly seated into place.

I have mentioned this several times,
BE CERTAIN that the Shunt Surfaces are "clean" and no waxes or oil residues are on it. It WILL muff up readings, Guaranteed.
(wipe down with Rubbing Alcohol)
Same goes for the Ring Terminals on the Shunt Leads.
The RED Wire on the Shunt Leads is ALWAYS towards the Battery !
Shunt is installed on the Negative Side only.
Ensure that the connections to the BMS Main Unit are firmly & properly seated into place.
Wise words, Steve, but the shunt wasn't the issue in this case. It wasn't misreading the current or voltage... just showing the SoC as zero even as it showed having 24V being read.

Definitely a software issue. As many people have said... Do the factory reset! :)

But it is sensing from the shunt and if it is even the slightest bit out everything else goes awry. BTDT and chased such gremlins over a month with the Same Assumption as you. I reset the BMS whenever I flash which means a few more steps to enter the data but I don't mind that.
It will be so nice once the B A & P series models are released.

Last edited:
But it is sensing from the shunt and if it is even the slightest bit out everything else goes awry. BTDT and chased such gremlins over a month with the Same Assumption as you. I reset the BMS whenever I flash which means a few more steps to enter the data but I don't mind that.
It will be so nice once the B & P series models are released.
I would prefer they fix and continue to improve the software of what we have already bought!
That said, it seems to be working quite well right now. :)

With the B/P models, what are they changing and what problems are they trying to address with the new hardware? Is there a good write up of what they are up to?

With the B/P models, what are they changing and what problems are they trying to address with the new hardware? Is there a good write up of what they are up to?
I am very limited as to what I can say.
One will have Active Balancing and other advanced features.
The other will have separate balancing plus added features. Both will have better communications & interfacing.
A few of the goodies are presently unavailable with other DIY System BMS'.
Hardware is being currently tested as is the software & firmware work. There have been delays due to chip issues as well.

Sorry, I'm not at liberty to say more.
Steve

Back