diy solar

diy solar

Socket head dropped and sparked, is this a short?

birchfinnigus

Totally newbie here. I'm building my first battery, 16S48v with Fortune cells. I just top balanced to 3.6v (took two weeks).

I was putting my BMS on, when I dropped the Ratchet. The socket head connected the positive and negative of two batteries, sparks flew and a flame shot up. I grabbed the wrench and pulled it off.

Inspecting the damage, it appears to be the nylon of the nylock nut that caught fire. The terminals look pretty clean. The socket itself melted in two places.

I tested the voltage, things seemed ok. So I finished assembling the BMS, and connected the wires.

The BMS now reports the two affected cells are lower than the rest of the pack.
  1. Is this a short? I thought it might be, but I looked on the forums and other people's shorts seem to be really intense, like the leads of the batteries melting!
  2. How can I trouble shoot the two affected cells?
  3. What kind of problems can I expect to have in the future, and how do I identify them?
  4. Should I top balance again? (dismantle everything, put it back into parallel, and balance)

Attachments

• IMG_8158.jpeg
    IMG_8158.jpeg
    146.1 KB · Views: 81
  • camphoto_824023566.jpeg
    camphoto_824023566.jpeg
    91 KB · Views: 86
  • IMG_8159.jpeg
    IMG_8159.jpeg
    308.7 KB · Views: 93
  • IMG_8161.jpeg
    IMG_8161.jpeg
    131.7 KB · Views: 92
So how much power do you think was dissipated in 2-3 seconds? Would there really be a noticeable difference?

Just out of curiosity, are the 2 shorted cells a different voltage than all the others?
Take a look at my screenshot of the BMS. I had just top balanced to 3.6v, the two affected cells are now at 3.3v

Take a look at my screenshot of the BMS. I had just top balanced to 3.6v, the two affected cells are now at 3.3v
If there is little charge gone they will recover quickly to 3.65 volts. Could be they mostly recover after resting overnight.

Oops, missed that. I am surprised. While that is likely mostly surface charge, I see why you asked!

If you come up with the number of Ah you replace, please share it.
I am such a newbie, and still learning a lot of my math and basic concepts (I learn the fastest by going straight for the deep end). How would I be able to calculate that?

Looks like 2-5 seconds of 140A 115v MIG welding, OP was lucky
More than that even.

The weld itself is nothing. The dead short it resulted in on the other hand is going to be a matter circuit resistance and voltage.

For a single 0.39 milliohm. That alone gives you over 9200 amps possible, but of course drops depending on the material and connection used to complete the short circuit.

Even if you bring that to way up 0.01 ohm it's still over 300 amps.

Of course there's no way of knowing without testing so we're going to need OP to put a hall effect sensor with a really really fast response time on the ratchet and repeat. For science of course.

Haha yes someone on youtube should do this in a controlled manner and measure the current going through. Would only cost two cells and some careful setup. Could sacrifice a clamp meter perhaps?

This situation is why I have my ratchets for building banks, covered in duct tape.

Back