diy solar

diy solar

SOFAR HYD - Can you diy battery?

x4dow

Instructions and all videos I see with them seem to either use a amass or pylontech batteries.

My question is, can you use diy bateries with these inverters?

If not, is there any hybrid grid tie inverter (legal/export limiting/etc) that allows for diy batteries?

I have just ordered the sofar hyd 3600-es and was searching info about your question. Have not found a result so i will just attempt it. I will post the results once i installed everything. I will test with 16 lfp cells (100Ah 48V system)

В инструкциях и во всех видео, которые я вижу с ними, похоже, используются аккумуляторы amass или pylontech.

У меня вопрос, можно ли использовать эти инверторы в самодельных батареях?

Если нет, то есть ли какой-либо гибридный инвертор для привязки к сети (законный / экспортный и т. Д.), Который позволяет использовать батареи своими руками?

Hi. I am also interested in this topic.
Did you find something?

Yes you can I have made several now, I use the seplos bms as a pylon tech emulator. You can use the default lead acid option but it doesn’t work so well.

Yes you can I have made several now, I use the seplos bms as a pylon tech emulator. You can use the default lead acid option but it doesn’t work so well.
Why do you say it doesn't work so well? For charging LiFePO4 cells with a BMS, can't I adjust to have 100% bulk or nearly 100% bulk with very little absorb time and no float?

yeah what does "so well" mean?

Can you set:
- Charge voltage
- float voltage
- Voltage disconnect
- Charge current
- discharge current

yeah what does "so well" mean?

Can you set:
- Charge voltage
- float voltage
- Voltage disconnect
- Charge current
- discharge current

Since you asked so nicely... Using LFP with the Sofar unit in default mode with no can commincation BMS connected assumes the battery is Lead Acid, you need the Inverters NTC connected which adjusts the charge profile depending on external temperature, the SOC is widely inaccurate as it doesn't account for coulomb counting, you find even with 30-35% capacity left in the cells the inverter will read as 10-12%% based on expected voltage of a LA battery vs SOC. Again on charging, you'll find as the voltage reaches 54 volts on a high C rate charge the inverter thinks that pack is almost full reagrdless of float voltage and stops charging when its actually nearer 70%. There is a FB group full of people with the same experience using the default profile with LFP cells. I have tried it myself over 12 months with various different charge settings as you have asked about above, and I never received anywhere near full capacity. your mileage may vary, works in a pinch but not recommended.

Since you asked so nicely... Using LFP with the Sofar unit in default mode with no can commincation BMS connected assumes the battery is Lead Acid, you need the Inverters NTC connected which adjusts the charge profile depending on external temperature, the SOC is widely inaccurate as it doesn't account for coulomb counting, you find even with 30-35% capacity left in the cells the inverter will read as 10-12%% based on expected voltage of a LA battery vs SOC. Again on charging, you'll find as the voltage reaches 54 volts on a high C rate charge the inverter thinks that pack is almost full reagrdless of float voltage and stops charging when its actually nearer 70%. There is a FB group full of people with the same experience using the default profile with LFP cells. I have tried it myself over 12 months with various different charge settings as you have asked about above, and I never received anywhere near full capacity. your mileage may vary, works in a pinch but not recommended.

Apologies for my extreme brevity - SUPERB answer
Thanks so much for the insight - really interesting behaviour. I run my LiFePO4 on my Deye inverter & it operates PERFECTLY in SLA mode!

I dont connect the temp sensors, just configure voltages & it works really really well.

Instructions and all videos I see with them seem to either use a amass or pylontech batteries.

My question is, can you use diy bateries with these inverters?

If not, is there any hybrid grid tie inverter (legal/export limiting/etc) that allows for diy batteries?
I once researched this and found that Seplos offers a BMS purporting to be compatible with Sofar inverters - there are a number of threads discussing this on this forum.

I once researched this and found that Seplos offers a BMS purporting to be compatible with Sofar inverters - there are a number of threads discussing this on this forum.

I was just looking at this too.
Do I change out my BMS to Seplos & run that BMS so its "compatible" with the inverter - I dont really understand the gains in doing that.
- maybe "wake up with 20% charge or something", but i can achieve that manually quite easily.

My Deye runs perfectly without any comms to the inverter.

I was just looking at this too.
Do I change out my BMS to Seplos & run that BMS so its "compatible" with the inverter - I dont really understand the gains in doing that.
- maybe "wake up with 20% charge or something", but i can achieve that manually quite easily.

My Deye runs perfectly without any comms to the inverter.

I guess if you are getting the max capacity out of your cells this way then stick with it. For me with the Sofar inverter and LA mode it was all over the place it doesnt work without the temp sensor connected in SLA mode and you have to disable the inverter logic. wit the Seplos in place it works perfectly, I can see all cell voltages, it tapers off my charge toward the last 10% of charge down to 8amps so I dont get that runaway voltage issue on high C rates, it also gives the ability to cascade packs using another BMS, cells and cat 5 cable and control them individually.

Yes, this is exactly my issue with my 5kW Sofar hybrid and a DIY LiFePO4 pack with a Daly BMS (no comms to the inverter).

I did find that once it stops on "full" that changing any battery parameter at all and saving, the beast immediately decides that the pack is really only 45% and proceeds to bang fully 50% more charge into it.

In my "assorted bits" box I have a PowMr 60A MPPT charge controller, I might move 6 of my panels over to that and see if it will top-off the pack when the Sofar gets bored.

There's also the potential for running the beast in Direct mode with external control, maybe a job for when I run out of other things to do around the house (that will probably never happen).

EDIT I looked at the Seplos BMS on AliExpress, looks promising. I could replace one of the Daly units (I have 3 packs each with a BMS) with luck the inverter will then happily charge that pack fully and the others will follow along.

Decisions, decisions!

Last edited:
anyone thought of pairing a small compatible 16s Lifepo4 battery, and then parallelling that battery to a massive DIY one?

anyone thought of pairing a small compatible 16s Lifepo4 battery, and then parallelling that battery to a massive DIY one?

Yeah, that's pretty much what I will end up with if I go for the Seplos BMS, it's supposedly compatible with the major BMS protocols so ought to work with pretty well any inverter.

It ought to work, but until someone actually tries it ...

If you have DIY battery with Sofar, Seplos BMS is the only way to go now, I think. I am testing one 200A version right now and it works very nicely, CAN communication works as it should when you choose Sofar in the Seplos CAN setting. You can set up all the parameters on the BMS you can imagine with one small gripe - the english translation of the parameters is not perfect. And if you want to connect more batteries to you Sofar, just use another Seplos BMS, connect them with RS485 connector and you are good to go.

I did not succeed in trying to use the inverter with a bms without communication to the inverter. So i also bought the seplos bms, i connected everything and it worked right out of the box, its not a cheap bms but at least it works.

Hello everyone , I've a HYD3000 ES and I'm on the way to achieve a diy battery : 16S, 280 Ah , Seplos BMS
Capture.JPG

I,ve one issues with the inverter , since I connect the BMS (general lithium settings) , the inverter read the informations from the canbus , and I've an ID05 error (battoverprotection alarm) , I contacted sofarsolar and they answer me than battery are not compatible ...
Could you have clu or idea about this alarm ?
Thank you for reading
BR

Hello everyone , I've a HYD3000 ES and I'm on the way to achieve a diy battery : 16S, 280 Ah , Seplos BMS
View attachment 105359

I,ve one issues with the inverter , since I connect the BMS (general lithium settings) , the inverter read the informations from the canbus , and I've an ID05 error (battoverprotection alarm) , I contacted sofarsolar and they answer me than battery are not compatible ...
Could you have clu or idea about this alarm ?
Thank you for reading
BR
You need to set the sofar inverter to use batterybrand seplos instead of general settings. Have you checked the voltage?

edit: like crossy just said, i meant pylontech which should be the default setting on the seplos bms

Last edited:
Back