diy solar

diy solar

Soft start for mini Freezer Chest? 1.1Amp

I purchased the components to do this. About $20 so far.

Attachments

• 7B49EF79-0E98-42EE-9DA3-A8259354203C.png
    7B49EF79-0E98-42EE-9DA3-A8259354203C.png
    443.5 KB · Views: 18
Wow! There's all sorts of cool people here!

That's really interesting SunnySoCal. Please update us on what you're doing.

I went with the 1200VA victron. I haven't received it yet, but my plan is to have that in parallel with my existing 375VA. And the 1200VA only on the freezer chest, but in eco-mode. 3 watts standby, up to 2000W surge, and on only 20 minutes every hour with an average of 25wh per hour.
og_dave:
Well the circuit came but now on a back burner as I went with a 2000W /4000W surge (2 seconds) Xantrex Freedom X. In the process of installing that now and a complete reinstall of all other equipment (2/0 cabling for from 4 AWG for instance). Turns out I finally got around to reading (stamped on compressor housing) the Locked Rotar Amperage (LRA) on my 7 cu ft freezer and my den's mini fridge. Both at 11 A so even if both came on simultaneously (22 x 120 ~ 2500 W) should be no issue...but nonetheless will turn them on not synced when I test system. If/when I run very unlikely that they'd typically turn on simultaneously (as in within a few seconds).

Also, neither fridge/freezer have a lick of electronics and the schematics (on sides of both) are very simple...AC Line in series with thermostat in series with compressor...so my original thought process of just inserting that circuit probably still a good one. Unfortunately, a few years ago I gave away a decent oscilloscope (not used, taking up room in garage) and thus have no way to measure surge with circuit in/circuit out. Eyeing a clamp on current meter which has a peak reading function which I may pick up at some point.

I bought and installed the Victron 1200/48. Works great! 24 hours the 3cuft freezer chest used only 240 watts! It surges to 700w for a split second, which my victron 375 couldn't handle, and then sits at 40w for about 10 minutes. I think it turns off quickly.

The more steak and chicken I buy, the more efficient it becomes!

Freezer chests are amazingly efficient and work great for off the grid so you don't need to go to town all the time for groceries, and you can buy things on sale and in bulk. This will save me a lot!

I still wish there was a cheap soft start solution, my 375VA would handle it. It sucks I had to pay $400-500 for the 1200VA version

I bought and installed the Victron 1200/48. Works great! 24 hours the 3cuft freezer chest used only 240 watts! It surges to 700w for a split second, which my victron 375 couldn't handle, and then sits at 40w for about 10 minutes. I think it turns off quickly.

The more steak and chicken I buy, the more efficient it becomes!

Freezer chests are amazingly efficient and work great for off the grid so you don't need to go to town all the time for groceries, and you can buy things on sale and in bulk. This will save me a lot!

I still wish there was a cheap soft start solution, my 375VA would handle it. It sucks I had to pay $400-500 for the 1200VA version
It is on my "to do" list to check out the device I bought with my minifridge sooner than later. I am installing my new inverter but will continue to have capability to run either or both and thus I will give my 600 W Xantrex PSW a go to see if it will start my fridge with and without that circuit. Will post here when I do...hopefully within a couple of weeks or so. I've read enough about the clamp peak current meters to think that that won't really capture the peak accurately (triggered oscilloscope needed). So if fridge won't start unless I install circuit that'll be my measure of success.

Back