diy solar

diy solar

SOK 24 VDC 100 Ah Batteries

dougybug

I would like to open this back up for discussion. Does anyone have any experience with the 24 VDC SOK batteries. We are preparing to build a system into our Jayco Redhawk 24B and wondered if anyone had any positives or negatives they would like to share about the batteries. Thinking of hooking 4 in parallel to run a 4000 watt 24 VDC Giandel PSW inverter. I want to be able to run my coffee maker, microwave and TV all at once and maybe the fridge and water heater too. We don't want to have to firer up the generator to have our breakfast with coffee while we sit and watch the news and one of us gets a shower. Not asking too much, am I?

Last edited:
I want to be able to run my coffee maker, microwave and TV all at once and maybe the fridge and water heater too.
Have you added up the wattage of all of these running at the same time?
1000W coffee
1500W small microwave
250W TV
250W fridge
====
3000W (insert your better number here)

So hopefully your water heater is less than 1000W.

Have you added up the wattage of all of these running at the same time?
1000W coffee
1500W small microwave
250W TV
250W fridge
====
3000W (insert your better number here)

So hopefully your water heater is less than 1000W.
Electric water heater is 1500W. Not sure why you just wouldn't use it with propane. That is 0W once it's lit.

A Keurig is 1500W for 2 minutes.
If the fridge is 12V or absorption, it will be 0W on the inverter. If it is residential, it will be 800W to kick on and 200W to cool.

So, worst case, you need 5,500W. You might get away with 4kW if you use a drip coffee maker and use propane for the water heater.

Well, I guess along without firing up the generator, I was hoping to save on propane (fridge and water heater are both dual source, didn't realize fridge was DC, but makes sense). Trying to go as much off renewable energy as possible. Not as concerned about carbon emissions as fuel costs and need to move RV to replenish. Also want to save on fuel costs over the long, long run. One nice thing, I was told the 2022 Jaycos have load shedding (unconfirmed), that might help with my demands. Oh, drink way too much coffee for a Keurig. :)

Last edited:
Trying to go as much off renewable energy as possible.
I think you'd be able to adapt to a 4000W inverter by making just a little effort to not run the microwave, brew coffee and heat hot water at the same time. I would think I would give the fridge a go on DC. And, make an effort to heat hot water when you have plenty of sunshine and batteries are full.
Propane and a generator are nice luxuries to have as alternate sources of power!

Thanks MisterSandals. Good information that will help me to properly size and utilize my solar package. Appreciate your input.

Back