diy solar

diy solar

SOK 24V Battery Bank only allowing 50% DOD

It is expensive but look at the Victron lynx distributor or power in. That it a very nice bus bar that can help you cleanup the wiring.
Yeah, I have that in my current setup. I'm very limited in space, so its a bit messy and my first attempt at putting together a setup like this. Definitely room for improvement. This is wider shot of my system.
solar20211106_163543.jpg

All that blue gear and yet those flakey brks for the orions.

BTW: the money page in the Wiring Unlimited e-book is this:

View attachment 74697
You are using 2 batteries in series for each of the single batteries in the diagrams above.

• Your current system is 'Diagonally'. It works but is not great.
  • I am recommending 'Posts' with really short, high current bus bars.
  • 'Halfway' does not work with 5 strings
  • 'Busbars' is about the same as 'Diagonally' unless the busbars are *very* heavy duty.

Help me understand this please... It contradicts that a battery bank of eight 12 V 100AH lithium batteries in series is only 400Ah. Maybe I'm misunderstanding this? Just below the battery image is says" Double Voltage, double Capacity Ah"

Thanks!

Screenshot 2021-12-07 152036.png

It contradicts that a battery bank of eight 12 V 100AH lithium batteries in series is only 400Ah. Maybe I'm misunderstanding this? Just below the battery image is says" Double Voltage, double Capacity Ah"
8 12V 100Ah batteries all in series (8S) would be 96V 100Ah.

8 12V 100Ah batteries in 2S4P (which is what you have at the moment) is 24V 400Ah.

The image showing "Double Voltage, double Capacity Ah" is correct because it is for 4 batteries in 2S2P. The 2S doubles the voltage. The 2P doubles the current. Just like in your current setup. Your 2S doubles your voltage to 24V. Your 4P quadruples your amp hours to 400Ah.

Help me understand this please... It contradicts that a battery bank of eight 12 V 100AH lithium batteries in series is only 400Ah. Maybe I'm misunderstanding this? Just below the battery image is says" Double Voltage, double Capacity Ah"

Thanks!

View attachment 74935
I think it is trying to say when you add a second set of two it is double the capacity of a single set of two batteries. I agree with you that the way they describe it is confusing.

I guess there needs to be three statements:

When properly set up:
  • Adding batteries ALWAYs adds Watt-hours
  • Adding batteries in series always adds voltage but leaves amp-hours the same
  • Adding batteries in parallel always adds the Amp-hours but leaves the Voltage the same.

8 12V 100Ah batteries all in series (8S) would be 96V 100Ah.

8 12V 100Ah batteries in 2S4P (which is what you have at the moment) is 24V 400Ah.

The image showing "Double Voltage, double Capacity Ah" is correct because it is for 4 batteries in 2S2P. The 2S doubles the voltage. The 2P doubles the current. Just like in your current setup. Your 2S doubles your voltage to 24V. Your 4P quadruples your amp hours to 400Ah.

I think it is trying to say when you add a second set of two it is double the capacity of a single set of two batteries. I agree with you that the way they describe it is confusing.

When properly set up:
  • Adding batteries in parallel always adds the Amp-hours but leaves the Voltage the same.

When properly set up:
Yeah, that would be a better way of explaining it. Thanks again!

Back