diy solar

diy solar

SOK Battery 112v on a 12V battery?????

HighTechLab

AKA Dexter - CTO of Current Connected, LLC
Sometimes, you just have to ask the community, WTF???

Quote from customer inquiry:
We had one battery reading 112v. He placed the battery outdoors. This morning the battery is reading 125v. We checked the voltage meter against several other batteries using 4 voltage meters. Only one voltage reader would read up that high, the other 3 meters would not read. We moved the battery farther from the house due to the increased reading when we expected a drop from being out overnight.

Please advise us as to what to do with this battery. If it has a short, should we attempt to lift the top? Do we have any other options or just wait for it to catch fire?

In my mind, the battery cannot create a voltage this high, and if it could, it would have been on fire a long time ago...Any speculation or thoughts on how a battery that is disconnected could be reading a voltage this high? I'm out of ideas. I suspect it's the low-cost meter, but how can a meter be a full order of magnitude off?

Any suggestions much appreciated.
Pictures - Meter testing good battery showing 10.7v and on "bad" battery showing 125.9v with the same settings
10v.jpg112v.jpg

BMS disconnected the cells and reading mV like posted above?

I've also seen cheap meters read way off just before they shut off due to low battery.

I can replicate that Really Easy, just put the DVOM on the wrong setting.
BUT
We checked the voltage meter against several other batteries using 4 voltage meters. Only one voltage reader would read up that high, the other 3 meters would not read.
with 4 Other meters ? oi, what can one say... But 1 Batt reads 10.7 and the other 125 without settings changed, with that Kobalt DMM. I dunno Kobalt but I know its the cheap house brand for a big-box right. If the other meters were same brand, then... Get a REAL dvom and learn to use it would be my suggestion to them. A decent $50 brand name will serve well for years.

Exactly. If it did such a crazy thing it would have caught fire long before. Now an Ultra High Amp dump from LFP is quite possible but a totally different thing. I have to say, if this is one of your clients, I wish you the absolute best of luck my friend. There are several good vid's on YT that cover everything generically.

Looks like the second meter reading is in mV (that's what is showing on the display).
DOH!!!! You got it, this is EXACTLY what was going on. I am amazed I missed this!

Battery 1 autoranged properly. Battery 2 went to MV range because BMS was cut off. This is why the other 3 meters woldn't read because they are not auto-ranging meters.

Back