diy solar

diy solar

SOK battery -fully charged?

tfish86

Hi am setting up a 12 volt mpp solar unit with 1000w inverter in my camper and got the 200ah SOK battery, but I am not sure if the battery is getting fully charged or not...

I am charging with the 20 amp ac-dc charger that is part of the MPP unit (have not connect PV panels yet) but even though I am charging @ 14.6 volts, the mpp unit has stopped charging the battery and the voltmeter says the batt is at 13.5 V.

Is 13.5 v fully charged? It says 100% on the MPP display, but I wasn't sure if the battery is supposed to go up higher (>14.0v)? The battery came shipped at 13.0-13.1 V.

Thanks for the help!

Last edited:
Lower charge voltage to 14.4V and see if it charges. The battery may be imbalanced and may be tripping the BMS cut off, or it may be that you need to change your expectations. ;)

Additionally, it's normal for voltage to settle once charging has terminated.

Watch the charge this time and see if the battery reaches 14.4V.

HAve a new 100 amp with heater that won't charge to anything over 13.8 volt as it stops , goe into protect with "cell over voltage". The cells are within .176 volts of each other but won't go to anything over 13.9. After 24 hours they aer at 13.4volts. Is hits battery bad or just not charging?
1 cell read 3.547 & the others are 3.40?

Lower the charge volts until the BMS stops going into protection mode. If it accepts 13.8 volts for example, maintain that voltage for some time, several hours at a minimum.
Low cost batteries are often shipped with unbalanced cells.
Your battery is not faulty and after some time the cells will become better balanced.
3.4 volts per cell is almost fully charged.
Use the battery as normal with the lower charge voltage and an extended absorbtion period. The battery will get better balanced and you can raise the charge volts and use a normal absorbtion period. There is no real need to exceed 14.2 volts as a charge voltage.

Back