diy solar

diy solar

SOK or Battle Born?

Devin82m

OK, I know in some ways this is like comparing Apples with Apple Pie, but I am seriously not sure which battery to go with between SOK and Battle Born.

Yes, I know I can build a battery for cheaper, but I don't care to find Grade A that from a reputable buy, wait weeks if not months for it to arrive, fight them to return if something goes wrong, have to find matching cells, or have to balance the cells. The best I can find is the Fortune cells, but I still have to find matching sets and balance them from what I can tell. If there is a source I can buy from that does all that for you and US based please let me know.

The price of SOK is of course the most attractive thing about it. I also like that it's serviceable, and that I can buy the cells from them. On the other hand the above issues apply if SOK go out of business between me buying it and the cells wearing out, having to find replacement cells on the Chinese sites.

The Battle Born batteries are proven, no debate. They are more expensive, but use very high quality parts and they do all the matching for you and other things for you so you never have to touch them.

Opinions? Suggestions? Advice?

Battle Born for warranty support. Yes, I've used it. Fast and easy.
I really like them, but my major concern is if there was am EMP attack or CME event, that would fry the BMS and they have it all sealed up and don't appear to sell a replacement BMS. So those batteries would be unusable unless you have a BMS that could work, then you will have to figure out what it needs to be programmed for, let alone how to program it. I have things set asside inside a faraday cage, I would love a battery I can put away spare BMSs for. So needless to say I may limited to building my own packs... I contact Battle Born to ask if they can sell the BMS for this scenerio, I'm still waiting on a response. I know it may sound silly, but I think it's a legit question when buying something that could be bricked because they epoxy everything closed and used basically proprietary cells/components/manufacturing methods.

I really like them, but my major concern is if there was am EMP attack or CME event, that would fry the BMS and they have it all sealed up and don't appear to sell a replacement BMS. So those batteries would be unusable unless you have a BMS that could work, then you will have to figure out what it needs to be programmed for, let alone how to program it. I have things set asside inside a faraday cage, I would love a battery I can put away spare BMSs for. So needless to say I may limited to building my own packs... I contact Battle Born to ask if they can sell the BMS for this scenerio, I'm still waiting on a response. I know it may sound silly, but I think it's a legit question when buying something that could be bricked because they epoxy everything closed and used basically proprietary cells/components/manufacturing methods.
If you're that worried about an EMP attack, then build a shielded battery box to place them in.

Back