diy solar

diy solar

Sol-Ark 12K and EG4LL battery communications

I find that hard to imagine since I have never heard of SimpliPhi batteries having a problem starting an Inverter while I hear that almost everday about the LifePower 4. Do you have information on what kind of cells are in the Simpliphi? I know the EG4 is Grade B cells and BTW I own an EG4 battery so it woul'd be a plus to me if it worked with Sol-Ark. I also have lots of good contacts at Sol-Ark and have never heard them mention a thing about EG4 integration. As I said maybe Tom may have recently changed his mind.
The SimpliPhi case is beautiful. It's the build quality inside that is inferior to an EG4. See photo:

Attachments

• 20220612_135317[1].jpg
    20220612_135317[1].jpg
    309.2 KB · Views: 40
The SimpliPhi case is beautiful. It's the build quality inside that is inferior to an EG4. See photo:
I don't see anything wrong with it but it is hard to tell how high up that busbar is from the Mosfets. I assume you do not like the connector hovering over the Mosfets? What would concern me more is the BMS and Cells. If that is an active balancing BMS which I would bet it is then it is miles ahead of the EG4s Horrid passive balancing. I cannot see the Cells but I am betting that they are true grade A cells.

Sweet Tier 1 Fortress Goodness.

Sorry that there is no scale but that BMS which is actually an aviation based computer BMS which is about 12" long
That Pre Charge Resistor is about 8" x 4"
Fortress.jpg

We have an in house model working - the issue is it requires flashing the battery firmware and that requires some level of technical skills that if not done correctly can cause the battery to brick, so we are trying to develop a seamless option.
I just purchased 6 of the EG4LL 48v 100AH packs and running them with a Sol-Arc 12k.

I had to set my absorb, float, equalization all manually because I couldn't get coms working. I noticed that Sol-Arc says it uses pin 2-3 so I built a cable to move from pin 7-8 on the battery end to pin 2-3. That said, I ended up setting up an old laptop to run the BMS software on that always stays on sitting with the battery rack. I then just Remote Desktop to it to look at things. I had to build cables by putting 6 keystone jacks in a box and setting up the pin 7-8 wire to loop through all of them and then was able to have the master coming out to the PC. I have been unable to get the batts to work with the software or inverter using the batt/Comm ports.

Is there any firmware at all for these batts at this point? Mine all have strange dates on them ranging from 2019 to 2034. Just bought them from SS like two weeks ago.

Also, mainly following this thread for finding out about comms with the Sol-Arc but feel like I need to get the comms working so that I don't have to use the tied together cables.

As for Sol-Arc, they said they didn't support EG4LL and I advised that a lot of customers have these and are getting very unhappy about their lack of interest. Thank you.

~2wks ago Sol-Ark engineering support told me that they have the EG4s and have begun testing/evaluating them to setup closed comm. They said this process typically takes a couple of months.

As always, the squeaky wheel gets greased so I would urge everyone to continue
to "remind" Sol-Ark & SigSolar about this until they 'get'er'done'. I am personaly
holding off purchasing three more bats until this happens.

Of course IF it doesn't there are other BMSs( Orion for one ) that can be used
to accomplish this.

Also, since we know that the SOK BMS works with Sol-Ark, we could quickly/easily replace
the EG4 BMSs with them. Just need to find a source and I bet they could be purchased.

-TB

~2wks ago Sol-Ark engineering support told me that they have the EG4s and have begun testing/evaluating them to setup closed comm. They said this process typically takes a couple of months.

to "remind" Sol-Ark & SigSolar about this until they 'get'er'done'. I am personaly

to accomplish this.

Also, since we know that the SOK BMS works with Sol-Ark, we could quickly/easily replace
the EG4 BMSs with them. Just need to find a source and I bet they could be purchased.

-TB
you can use tye seplos canbus bms

"....you can use tye seplos canbus bms"

Please tell me more about this...
Is this what is used in SOKs?
I have posed this question to the YTers
who did videos about this saying the
BMSs were the same but I got no answers.

-TB

"....you can use tye seplos canbus bms"

Please tell me more about this...
Is this what is used in SOKs?
I have posed this question to the YTers
who did videos about this saying the
BMSs were the same but I got no answers.

-TB
not used in the sok, they have their own.
it has been certified for deye and sunsynk , given the sol-ark is one of those, reason stands they will work

to accomplish this.

-TB
Sol-arc didn’t want to share any info, but they did use the term that the EG4LL isn’t supported “yet”. I sure hope they get it done. Additionally, I’m wondering if there is a firmware update to get the packs to link together using the in/out batt/com ports so that I don’t have to use the box I built etc. additionally, I would be concerned that would mean mine would t work with the solarc even if they fix the solarc side.

My new batts have a bunch of weird dates on them ranging from 2019 to 2034 and I can’t seem to change them. The software on the laptop complains that I need to make a selection, but I’ve tried selecting. Ehhh. It’s been a bit frustrating. I do love the solarc and their support throughout the past 2.5 years has always been good. I’m going to bother them every couple weeks. Let’s make the wheel squeak!!!

Sol-arc didn’t want to share any info, but they did use the term that the EG4LL isn’t supported “yet”. I sure hope they get it done. Additionally, I’m wondering if there is a firmware update to get the packs to link together using the in/out batt/com ports so that I don’t have to use the box I built etc. additionally, I would be concerned that would mean mine would t work with the solarc even if they fix the solarc side.

My new batts have a bunch of weird dates on them ranging from 2019 to 2034 and I can’t seem to change them. The software on the laptop complains that I need to make a selection, but I’ve tried selecting. Ehhh. It’s been a bit frustrating. I do love the solarc and their support throughout the past 2.5 years has always been good. I’m going to bother them every couple weeks. Let’s make the wheel squeak!!!
Are you able to show a screenshot when trying to set the date for the batteries? I was able to set them on mine using the software.

Are you able to show a screenshot when trying to set the date for the batteries? I was able to set them on mine using the software.

Below is a screenshot. I have tried checking the boxes etc. Is this where you did yours? Thank you already in advance!!

Screen Shot 2022-07-09 at 7.43.18 PM.png

latest sol-ark firmware version

Of course I think there's a possible easy work-around IF Sol-Ark & SS don't get-er-done. It should be relatively easy to replace the EG4's BMS with one that does comm with Sol-Ark. I may consider this so I'm looking around for a suitable BMS. Anyone know of one that wouldn't require a lot of re-coding, etc. ? The one that SOK uses comes to mind.

-TB

latest sol-ark firmware version

Of course I think there's a possible easy work-around IF Sol-Ark & SS don't get-er-done. It should be relatively easy to replace the EG4's BMS with one that does comm with Sol-Ark. I may consider this so I'm looking around for a suitable BMS. Anyone know of one that wouldn't require a lot of re-coding, etc. ? The one that SOK uses comes to mind.

-TB
This kinda thing in software development is called Yak Shaving

I know. I've done plenty of code(ASM, C, C++, managed, etc,,) also throughout the years and realize that this stuff is not difficult.
Also I don't mind paying a REASONABLE amount to get it done. I don't have the time or interest to DIY.

-TBoone EE, MD, ATP

I'm currently designing a system which I plan to use 2 Sol-Ark 15k inverters, and was hoping to use EG4LL batteries. I am holding off on purchasing either of these until I hear this issue is resolved. Planning around 50kWh of batteries.

If it's not solved in a few weeks (maybe I can wait up to a month), then I'll just go with the SOK. I'm sure Signature Solar and EG4 guys would like to get my business, so hopefully you can figure this out.

I'm currently designing a system which I plan to use 2 Sol-Ark 15k inverters, and was hoping to use EG4LL batteries. I am holding off on purchasing either of these until I hear this issue is resolved. Planning around 50kWh of batteries.

If it's not solved in a few weeks (maybe I can wait up to a month), then I'll just go with the SOK. I'm sure Signature Solar and EG4 guys would like to get my business, so hopefully you can figure this out.
If you just manually program the sol-ark it works fine with eg4 batteries. You really don't NEED coms.

If you just manually program the sol-ark it works fine with eg4 batteries. You really don't NEED coms.
I know, but comms has saved me before. I had a system with 10 of those types of batteries and some breakers got tripped on a few of them (got knocked by someone). Had I not been using battery comms, the inverters would not have known to back down the charge rate and would've decreased the life a little or tripped the remaining batteries.

Back