diy solar

diy solar

Sol-Ark 12K vs Outback Radian GS8048a for Reliable Backup

unseengundam

So, I currently have both a Sol-Ark and an Outback Radian GS8048a.

Currently, I actually have Sol-Ark 12K up and running with battery backup, but not 100% satisfied with its performance.

As for my Outback Radian, GS8048a it seemed more complex and hard setup with MATE3S controller. I had actually initially had a previous small battery bank hooked up with the GS8048a, but the darn main circuit board on GS8048a went out and had to warranty replacement. Wasn't impressed with so put in mothball.

Right Now, the Sol-Ark 12K main problem is getting overloaded. I have seen it go out due to an 'unbalanced 120v' load, overload even connected to the grid. In fact, on the Grid AC side (in Grid-Tied mode) a welder not directly tied to load made it overload when I would assume it let Grid handle it. Reproducing the issue and tracking it down seems hard and it seems more random. In fact, I swear there have been more power outages due to Sol-Ark 12K faults compared to actual grid outages.

At this point, I am wondering if the Outback Radain GS8048a is a more reliable source of backup power. Anyone got input on the following:

Unbalance 120v Loads - How well does GS8048a handle it vs Sol-Ark?
Overload - How well does GS8048a handle surge and overload? More capable or stable than Sol-Ark 12K?

I am thinking of bringing the GS8048a back to test it out even though Sol-Ark spec seems better. Might even see if I can somehow tie them together.

The Radian is a much better inverter.. just doesn't have as many features. I have one, its a beast.

Consider that the Sol-Ark 12k is 78 lbs, 9000 watts DC out, and has all that extra stuff in there as well..

Now consider the Radian 8048 at about 125 lbs and its just a battery inverter..

The Radian doesn't have all the features, but its a better inverter..

I have a GS4048 and runs good for our large house. My loads are balanced so I can't comment on unbalanced loads. I run close to the 4kw a lot of the time with base loads and have a 1/2 HP well pump as my largest load. I need to add the second module to make it a 8048.

The only plus to the Sol-ark that I can see is it has a solar mppt input. The Outback will do AC and DC couple to cover what you need with a solar charge controller.

In the Mate once you realize that the only menus you go into are the ones for what you have connected it is easier. I only use the inverter section of the menu's so not that hard. I wish they would gray out what is not connected so it wasn't confusing to the new user. I have a MidNite SCC so it isn't connected to the Mate. Ask questions if needed I do both AC and DC coupling with Enphase micro's.

Outback Radian GS8048a is a low freq inverter. Sol-Ark is a high freq inverter.

The Sol-Ark is like two 120vac inverters in series, with each side limited to half inverter ratings. It does not share power between 120vac sides.

Outback Radian LF can share a bit of power between sides through its large output transformer. It will have better surge load capability.

I am not a fan of using high freq inverters for house supply, although Sol-Ark is one of best HF inverters with a lot of self protection to cover the HF inverter weaknesses, like greater likelihood of damage due to overload surges.

Your first effort should be trying to rebalance your most often simultaneously used 120vac breaker loads as equally as possible on each 120vac phase. Any large 120vac load devices that can be converted to 240vac should be converted.

Last fix would be an autotransformer on output that will allow some sharing between 120vac phase sides. Besides extra cost, the autotransformer also adds some power loss and will likely increase inverter no load idle power consumption a bit.

Outback Radian GS8048a is a low freq inverter. Sol-Ark is a high freq inverter.

The Sol-Ark is like two 120vac inverters in series, with each side limited to half inverter ratings. It does not share power between 120vac sides.

Outback Radian LF can share a bit of power between sides through its large output transformer. It will have better surge load capability.

I am not a fan of using high freq inverters for house supply, although Sol-Ark is one of best HF inverters with a lot of self protection to cover the HF inverter weaknesses, like greater likelihood of damage due to overload surges.

Your first effort should be trying to rebalance your most often simultaneously used 120vac breaker loads as equally as possible on each 120vac phase. Any large 120vac load devices that can be converted to 240vac should be converted.

Last fix would be an autotransformer on output that will allow some sharing between 120vac phase sides. Besides extra cost, the autotransformer also adds some power loss and will likely increase inverter no load idle power consumption a bit.
I have a 6000 What high frequency inverter made for Tesla by Delta. It does 3000 W on each leg but I disconnected the neutral and installed an auto transformer To regain my neutral. Now all of my loads pull evenly from both legs of my inverter. The transformer also acts as an inductor and so I can start heavy motors no problem.

Anybody using a single phase High frequency inverter could also add a 1 to 1 auto transformer Thus Greatly increasing its surge ability.

Back