diy solar

diy solar

Sol-Ark 15K All in One Inverter Released.

Is anyone running big power through a single SA 15K? I changed my design today to run 36 550W Bi-Facial BlueSun panels into the SA and another 37 460W BlueSun panels into two Growatt Inverters that will go into the SA Gen AC Couple input. Going to be dumping at least 36.8kW into that SA 15K and going to sell up to 25kW to the grid. Is this going to drastically shorten the Sol-Ark's life and is it going to be screaming for mercy during the day?

Almost anything that uses electronic components is going to have a shorter lifespan if you run it at 100% of it's capacity 24/7. Heat is going to keep the fans running a lot longer and wearing out faster, the capacitors will most likely have a shortened lifespan due to the heat and probably various other things will start to fail.
I like to keep my average usage on all my equipment, both electrical and mechanical at about 50% of the systems rated capability.
This has worked for me for decades, most of my stuff rarely fails.

Almost anything that uses electronic components is going to have a shorter lifespan if you run it at 100% of it's capacity 24/7. Heat is going to keep the fans running a lot longer and wearing out faster, the capacitors will most likely have a shortened lifespan due to the heat and probably various other things will start to fail.
I like to keep my average usage on all my equipment, both electrical and mechanical at about 50% of the systems rated capability.
This has worked for me for decades, most of my stuff rarely fails.

So it might be best to budget a second SA 15K in the future. Though, won't the AC Couple will pretty much just pass through the SA to the Grid and to my loads? It's the DC to AC that should be the biggest load on the SA if I understand correctly. So if I got the second SA, it would only be really beneficial to move half of my PV DC input to the second SA. Am I wrong?

Extra fan, and/or A/C, could make a big difference.
Imagine a window AC that ducts its cold exhaust air through the inverter, with thermostat monitoring inverter discharge temperature.

I'm also basically maxing out the MPPTs (over 20kW connected). I believe swapping a dead MPPT should be relatively easy though.

So it might be best to budget a second SA 15K in the future. Though, won't the AC Couple will pretty much just pass through the SA to the Grid and to my loads?
Yes it will.
It's the DC to AC that should be the biggest load on the SA if I understand correctly. So if I got the second SA, it would only be really beneficial to move half of my PV DC input to the second SA. Am I wrong?
You could do that, kind of feels like a waste not to load both of them with the full compliment of panels and then limit the sell back It's always nice to have that reserve for the Winter when you will need it.. I don't know what your land or roof space situation is so that might be an issue. You could also get rid of the Growatts and use those panels on the second SA 15K.

I'm also basically maxing out the MPPTs (over 20kW connected). I believe swapping a dead MPPT should be relatively easy though.

Then I won't worry about it then. Ten year warranty and if it's fairly user serviceable then I'm fine pushing it harder. Maybe the SA is overbuilt and it will just shrug off the heavy load.

I thought it would be best to post in the SA 15K super thread. I read this entire thread a few weeks ago. I'm new to this, but I'm almost ready to start buying components. I posted in the Beginners Corner but responses are slow or no one there really knows. So I thought posting to the super thread would be the way to go as there are some really smart people here.

I'm buying 74 Bluesun 460w bi-facial panels. Going to tie 38 panels into the SA's 3 MTTP controllers. Going to add the other 36 panels, 12 into each of three Growatt 6kW Grid-Tie Inverter (MIN 6000TL-X) that will go into the SA/s Gen/AC Couple input. From what I understand, "stacking" the three grid-tie inverters it not a problem. Is this the case? This is currently the question I'm trying to get answered.

Going to add a single Trophy Battery 48V3040E-2 to the battery input to get me through the 4-8pm utility time of use. Going to eventually have 5-7 of those batteries, but for now, just the single one.

Going with IronRidge racking through Greentech in Denver, Colorado.

Panel Layout:

I have been working on my building permits off and on for a month, but decided on the weekend that I'm running out of time so I used GreenLancer to finish up the work on my permits and they got me my first part in only 48 hours. Amazing really. Couple of issues with the first one but they will be quick to fix.

Getting pretty excited to start getting this going. I can finally see light through the end of tunnel.
P
I thought it would be best to post in the SA 15K super thread. I read this entire thread a few weeks ago. I'm new to this, but I'm almost ready to start buying components. I posted in the Beginners Corner but responses are slow or no one there really knows. So I thought posting to the super thread would be the way to go as there are some really smart people here.

I'm buying 74 Bluesun 460w bi-facial panels. Going to tie 38 panels into the SA's 3 MTTP controllers. Going to add the other 36 panels, 12 into each of three Growatt 6kW Grid-Tie Inverter (MIN 6000TL-X) that will go into the SA/s Gen/AC Couple input. From what I understand, "stacking" the three grid-tie inverters it not a problem. Is this the case? This is currently the question I'm trying to get answered.

Going to add a single Trophy Battery 48V3040E-2 to the battery input to get me through the 4-8pm utility time of use. Going to eventually have 5-7 of those batteries, but for now, just the single one.

Going with IronRidge racking through Greentech in Denver, Colorado.

Panel Layout:

I have been working on my building permits off and on for a month, but decided on the weekend that I'm running out of time so I used GreenLancer to finish up the work on my permits and they got me my first part in only 48 hours. Amazing really. Couple of issues with the first one but they will be quick to fix.

Getting pretty excited to start getting this going. I can finally see light through the end of tunnel.
I'm very impressed by the 460 watt blue sun panels. So far I have exceeded the rating and peaked at almost 14kw for my 24 panels.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230704_224118_Brave.jpg
    Screenshot_20230704_224118_Brave.jpg
    72 KB · Views: 7
Almost. Averaged out I am showing 557W per panel. (String 1: 4439W, String 2: 4378W, String 3: 4540W) I have my panels set up in series of 8 each for the 24.
The specs show up to 575 watts from bifacial gain. Not bad for a $262 panel. With all the stupid haze we get in the north east from the alleged Canadian wild fires there could be a slight hindrance. I think once that subsides, I can get there.

Last edited:
Good to hear about the BlueSun panels. Hopefully my results will be good as they will only be going on my roof and will get next to nothing from the bifacial part (though I read during cloudy days they still work better).

Today my building department approved my permit. Going to order a pallet of 31 of the BlueSun 550w along with 5 others from another source. The 460w are out of stock for a couple of months. Going to order the the SA 15K and SOK batteries on Monday. Racking soon after that. Let the games begin!

Edit: 31 panels.

Last edited:
Almost. Averaged out I am showing 557W per panel. (String 1: 4439W, String 2: 4378W, String 3: 4540W) I have my panels set up in series of 8 each for the 24.
The specs show up to 575 watts from bifacial gain. Not bad for a $262 panel. With all the stupid haze we get in the north east from the alleged Canadian wild fires there could be a slight hindrance. I think once that subsides, I can get there.
Did that price include shipping?

I got them back in April this year, however I also had batteries/rack in the same shipment. They charged me $200 for a flat rate shipping fee for the entire order.

What is underneath or behind the panels?

I purchased several yards of Maryland pebble. Its a light stone that reflects the light decently.
1688855230720.png

I purchased several yards of Maryland pebble. Its a light stone that reflects the light decently.
View attachment 156475
Here are the array's I built using 6 EG4 Britemount kits. I'm using pressure treated 4x4's as the mounts. So far even in major storms these things are rock solid. When Solark comes out with their optimizers, that will be purchased. From what I was told by them, you just have to replace the mppt board, no transmitters needed. I want to get every last drop of sun out of these things and the optimizers should help on sun up and sun down collection. The most PV I got out of a day since I am load only is 70kw so far. My 4 ton AC has pretty much been on all day/night since out here in the NE its been 90+ all week. Maybe minisplits in the future. Between the Ecoflow Delta pros that already cut in half my electric bill and these new panels/Sol-ark15k/Eg4 ll v2 batteries, this is a game changer. ROI will be up pretty soon.

1689335372418.png

Attachments

• 20230701_080721.jpg
    20230701_080721.jpg
    527.9 KB · Views: 17
Last edited:
System update - Install date of April 20th, 2023

Sol-ark 15k / 6 EG4 LL's batteries / 21 bluesun 460watt panels -

No electricity bill, no problems. I don't even realize the system is there for the most part. ~4500 kWh of total energy produced as of today.

I'm loving this system with no regrets. Thanks for all the support on the forum.

Last edited:
Well at least I had reliable service for a year from my Ecoflow whole house setup using all 6 batteries, alas my Ecoflow SHP is now down for one DP and two smart batteries. I smelled burning and it looks like port 2 in the SHP and the partnered infinity cable itself burned up. I have a support ticket open with Ecoflow and hopefully they can send replacement parts or RMA both cable and SHP via warranty. This could have burned my entire house down. I hope Ecoflow or shop solar kits where I purchased this SHP does the right thing here.

Attachments

• 20230716_221929.jpg
    20230716_221929.jpg
    152 KB · Views: 9
  • 20230716_174953.jpg
    20230716_174953.jpg
    123.7 KB · Views: 8
  • 20230716_174902.jpg
    20230716_174902.jpg
    89.2 KB · Views: 9
Back