diy solar

diy solar

Sol-Ark 15K All in One Inverter Released.

So 5/16 lugs for the ground and neutral? Also the manual says 3/8in lugs for the battery terminals. Are you sure it's half inch?
1652396162166164566316334948177.jpg
Absolutely not 3/8. Definitely 1/2

For ac side it's also 10mm, I don't have a 5/16s handy, but there is a tiny bit of wiggle room so maybe 5/16s would work

Sorry to be clear I'm talking about the nut/ratchet side, as the pic shows my 5/16 connectors fit
So 5/16 lugs for the ground and neutral? Also the manual says 3/8in lugs for the battery terminals. Are you sure it's half inch?

Ah that makes sense. I was talking about the actual lug hole diameter.
Which makes sense after I did the math ('cause it just sounded the wrong way around from many years of doing my own car - & other - work):
10 mm - 10 / 25.4 = .3937
5/16 = .3125
7/16 = 0.4375 which is .3937 "with some wiggle room"... :)

55w with the inverter off per your other suggestions. ~34w reduction from inverter on standby
So you upped the shutdown voltage level and did the inverter immediately shutdown? Were you able to just power it up even without PV?

So you upped the shutdown voltage level and did the inverter immediately shutdown? Were you able to just power it up even without PV?
It turns off ac output but otherwise stays on. Will look into settings more tonight.

Electrian spent a week to give me a 3k install quote and then clearly didn't know how to install it when I asked for clarification... Looking into a self install now

It turns off ac output but otherwise stays on. Will look into settings more tonight.

Electrian spent a week to give me a 3k install quote and then clearly didn't know how to install it when I asked for clarification... Looking into a self install now
I did most of the stuff myself but the final connections were done by the Electrician. It was easy money for him as everything was pretty much in place. Not to sure I would recommend you work with the Mains voltage unless you really know what your doing.

Last edited:

That is odd! So it is still drawing power from the battery? I assumed the idea was that it would not draw anything from the battery so as to spare them from being completely depleted.

Last edited:
I did most of the stuff myself but the final connections where done by the Electrician. It was easy money for him as everything was pretty much in place. Not to sure I would recommend you work with the Mains voltage unless you really know what your doing.
I am comfortable working on the mains etc, where I get bit is I don't know the ins/out of the NEC, so I don't want to incorrectly setup the disconnect (such as an invalid bend radius, etc) or conduit or entry to house or something stupid and have to get that re-done.
I want to set it up like the diagram below, so that if I ever need to completely bypass the inverter (say it breaks, or whatever) I can change the house back to pure grid/service power, bypassing the inverter. When I told this to the electrician they replied: ""
The double throw disconnect are either/or situation. Not for both, like you will have. If installed then it would be solar or shore power, but not both.""... Making me think they did not understand the original install request

1652462454888.png

Also I am not sure how many wires can leave my meter panel. I know there are at-least 2 right now (1 to house, 1 to detached garage)... Not sure if there is room for a third... though I could move garage onto a sub-panel from the house maybe, as that never pulls more than like 20a/240v anyways

That is odd! So it is still drawing power from the battery? I assumed the idea was that it would not draw anything from the battery so as to spare it from being completely depleted.

Yes, it drew 54w all night from batteries :)

I don't really care enough to nit over it though, but will dig through settings a bit more to see.

When I told this to the electrician they replied: ""
The double throw disconnect are either/or situation. Not for both, like you will have. If installed then it would be solar or shore power, but not both.""... Making me think they did not understand the original install request
Why would you want anything other than only one of the switch inputs used at a time?

Why would you want anything other than only one of the switch inputs used at a time?
right... which is why I think they didn't understand/actually read the diagram I originally sent. I am pretty close to just doing it myself...

The install is simple. I am trying to find a freelance electrician to atleast give me plans a once over to make sure im close and the permit would get approved without re-submission. Right now my lingering question is how I want to set it up:

Inverter inside or outside? If I do it outside I need to run a 2 short piece of conduit with the 4/0 4/0 2/0 (x2) from the Meter (Which I think is an Eaton B-Line 127TB) to the disconnect, and the double throw. Then another from the disconnect --> Inverter --> Double throw. Then run the output of the double throw* BACK into the meter enclosure to go into the house...

That last part --> From throw back into meter box to enter the house is what I am not sure will be allowed.

BTW Robby: Don't do the battery voltage trick. The Fans don't turn on and keep the unit cool. once peak sun came out the inverter over heated and turned off the MPPTs lol

Last edited:
right... which is why I think they didn't understand/actually read the diagram I originally sent. I am pretty close to just doing it myself...
That Double throw 200A Switch should be an automatic transfer switch. The Inverter fed into the primary and the mains going into the secondary.
That way if the Inverter goes offline for some reason the transfer switch automatically switches directly to Utility power being fed into the house. That is how mine is setup and it works really well.
The install is simple. I am trying to find a freelance electrician to atleast give me plans a once over to make sure im close and the permit would get approved without re-submission. Right now my lingering question is how I want to set it up:

Inverter inside or outside? If I do it outside I need to run a 2 short piece of conduit with the 4/0 4/0 2/0 (x2) from the Meter (Which I think is an Eaton B-Line 127TB) to the disconnect, and the double throw. Then another from the disconnect --> Inverter --> Double throw. Then run the output of the double throw* BACK into the meter enclosure to go into the house...

That last part --> From throw back into meter box to enter the house is what I am not sure will be allowed.
We do have several certified electricians on this forum. Just read around and find them. Then PM them the questions.
BTW Robby: Don't do the battery voltage trick. The Fans don't turn on and keep the unit cool. once peak sun came out the inverter over heated and turned off the MPPTs lol
Thanks, that is exactly the kind of feedback info I am looking for.

That Double throw 200A Switch should be an automatic transfer switch. The Inverter fed into the primary and the mains going into the secondary.
That way if the Inverter goes offline for some reason the transfer switch automatically switches directly to Utility power being fed into the house. That is how mine is setup and it works really well.

We do have several certified electricians on this forum. Just read around and find them. Then PM them the questions.

Thanks, that is exactly the kind of feedback info I am looking for.

like one of these for the ats?

Because I only needed a 12K unit and had a 100A Breaker I am using a 100A version which is completely different.
I don't have enough experience with any of these models to give you advice but I am sure someone like @FilterGuy or @Hedges could probably guide you.

I just looked at the Generac in detail and I do not see any reason for you to spend that much money. You do not need the Power Management features since your not using it with a generator.

Not sure, but it seems Engineer775 does this sort of consulting... and he seems to be pretty darn knowledgeable about Sol-Ark products...

Speaking of which, shouldn't Sol-Ark be able to put you in touch with someone relatively local to you? Or do they just put you in touch with one of their preferred local installers (who may be loathe to help you find someone to help you install it yourself)?

Not sure, but it seems Engineer775 does this sort of consulting... and he seems to be pretty darn knowledgeable about Sol-Ark products...

Speaking of which, shouldn't Sol-Ark be able to put you in touch with someone relatively local to you? Or do they just put you in touch with one of their preferred local installers (who may be loathe to help you find someone to help you install it yourself)?
Sol-ark hasn't given me much info via email. I asked for some and they pointed me to their webpage, but the closest 2 are whole solar companies and won't install a self purchased inverter. The next closest is over 130 miles away

Sol-ark hasn't given me much info via email. I asked for some and they pointed me to their webpage, but the closest 2 are whole solar companies and won't install a self purchased inverter. The next closest is over 130 miles away
Yeah, but I was thinkin' maybe you ask the closest 2 for a recommendation of a good, local electrician, experienced in solar, that might be able to help you with the stickier points. OR maybe the local electrical inspector could recommend someone. Heck, hit up the local IBEW for a recommendation.

Yeah, but I was thinkin' maybe you ask the closest 2 for a recommendation of a good, local electrician, experienced in solar, that might be able to help you with the stickier points. OR maybe the local electrical inspector could recommend someone. Heck, hit up the local IBEW for a recommendation.
Will try some of these ideas, thanks!!

Back