diy solar

diy solar

Sol Ark 15k conduit and gutter trough

byteharmony

Sunny side up please.
I'm planning at 6" x 6" x 72" gutter trough for my 15k setup.

I see @Engineer775 uses 12"x12"x72"

I also see some people using flexible conduit, I think for smaller awg wires.

I'm thinking using 2x6" wood stand offs from wall studs (MUCH CHEAPER THAN 12"x12") that align the 15k holes perfect for the 6" trough and then using PVC 2" conduit as it's cheaper than EMT and I'm running 6 AWG ground wire anyway. COM conduit for Sol ARK is 1" (I think that's the only port that isn't 2" (Correction, the sol ark 15k ports are 1.5"). I have some left over flexible 1" EMT I can use for that :).

Any reason I shouldn't go with any of these @Engineer775 changes other than it's nice to have LOTS more space in the trough?

Last edited:
I think I did a 8” on my 12k. And I I should have done a 10”. Having room to work helps a lot.

I'm planning at 6" x 6" x 72" gutter trough for my 15k setup.

I see @Engineer775 uses 12"x12"x72"

I also see some people using flexible conduit, I think for smaller awg wires.

I'm thinking using 2x6" wood stand offs from wall studs (MUCH CHEAPER THAN 12"x12") that align the 15k holes perfect for the 6" trough and then using PVC 2" conduit as it's cheaper than EMT and I'm running 6 AWG ground wire anyway. COM conduit for Sol ARK is 1" (I think that's the only port that isn't 2". I have some left over flexible 1" EMT I can use for that :).

Any reason I shouldn't go with any of these @Engineer775 changes other than it's nice to have LOTS more space in the trough?

6 of the 15k ports are for 1 1/2”. You could make the openings larger.

And maybe not required, but DC in PVC might be frowned upon by an inspector If that is required.

Last edited:
6x6 will be too cramped for a 15k. You want to use a 12" so that it sticks out far enough on the wall to drop all the conduits straight down. And also plenty of room for battery cables and battery bus bars etc. Big battery cables and bus bar will not fit in a 6". Mine barely fit in a 10".

I used 10x10x48 on my dual 12k build. If I was doing a 15k for sure I would use a 12"
X12" box.

Attachments

• 20220906_103359.jpg
    20220906_103359.jpg
    106.3 KB · Views: 108
6x6 will be too cramped for a 15k. You want to use a 12" so that it sticks out far enough on the wall to drop all the conduits straight down. And also plenty of room for battery cables and battery bus bars etc. Big battery cables and bus bar will not fit in a 6". Mine barely fit in a 10".

I used 10x10x48 on my dual 12k build. If I was doing a 15k for sure I would use a 12"
X12" box.

He said he is going to offset it from wall with wood, but Yeah, I’d use a bigger trough than 6”

And maybe not required, but DC in PVC might be frowned upon by an inspector If that is required.
Why? most batteries are encased in plastic, what would be the issue with having battery wire run through plastic... THHN does this with PVC.
Heres the inside of the box.
R Those DC Bus bars inside the Trough? I plan on having my bus bars in a separate cabinet added after inspection. For inspection 2x #2 right to the trophy single battery.

This is a 1200 SQ FT house. All the AC wiring is in the rafters above the electrical so nothing coming from below but DC. That DC is all going to be in a 8' by 8' cabinet next the the inverter. What are you guys sticking in those gutters!!!! I appreciate the help, I'm not going to die on my 6"x6" position ;).

Why? most batteries are encased in plastic, what would be the issue with having battery wire run through plastic... THHN does this with PVC.

R Those DC Bus bars inside the Trough? I plan on having my bus bars in a separate cabinet added after inspection. For inspection 2x #2 right to the trophy single battery.

This is a 1200 SQ FT house. All the AC wiring is in the rafters above the electrical so nothing coming from below but DC. That DC is all going to be in a 8' by 8' cabinet next the the inverter. What are you guys sticking in those gutters!!!! I appreciate the help, I'm not going to die on my 6"x6" position ;).

Probably no problem with inspector, I just don’t want to give them any excuses. I believe under 60V DC no need for EMT.

You might get by with PVC for everything but the PV wires. Those have to be in metal conduit, inside the building.

Probably no problem with inspector, I just don’t want to give them any excuses. I believe under 60V DC no need for EMT.
I kinda chuckle, a box with a plastic bottom with metal wires inside it that are covered in plastic can't be protected by yet more plastic. ?

Seriously, I'll pickup a 10 ft emt for just that if it's really an inspector issue. Just don't know why regardless of voltage about. Look at soladecks on roofs 500 volts = plastic

6 of the 15k ports are for 1 1/2”. But it is plastic, so you could make the openings larger.

The knockouts on the bottom of the 15k are metal

I used 6" for 3× sunny boys.
It worked, but shockingly little room to work in there, should have been bigger. The sheet metal returns top and bottom make it so there is only like 4.5" opening to work in. Too small.

X12" box.
Looks super clean with your setup! Do you remember where you picked up the gutter? Thanks!

Quick shipping and almost everything will be received next day from McMaster dot com

At the point of install of the trough, sol ark and panels. In the end I went in-between a 6 and 12, I got a 10. Now I wonder how people do EMT for an add on to the panel in the future.

Here is a post on that as it's getting off this topic:

Back