diy solar

diy solar

Sol-Ark 15k pass through when "off"?

DThames

Solar Wizard
I am involved in installing a Sol-Ark 15k and we are rewiring the service entrance so that the Sol-Ark 15k is the point of grid interconnect. The Load output will go to the main breaker panel for now. All I want to do is have the power company pull the meter, kill the transformer, I will bring my new leads into the meter base, the Load to the main breaker panel, and turn the power back on. Sol-Ark configuration and commissioning I would like to do at a later date.

So will the Sol-Ark just pass through the grid power like it is not in the circuit, being off and without any commissioning steps?

Thanks in advance.

There is no power/pass through when the unit is turned off.

Additionally, software updates, malfunctions, etc will have you out of power. I’ve gotten this great experience first hand.

There is no power/pass through when the unit is turned off.
Interesting. I asked Sol-Ark on their website yesterday whether the 15k could pass the grid thru when it is off and they got back to me in a couple hours and said yes, although you have to turn it on and change a setting to enable that and then when it is off it passes the grid thru. They did say they recommend having a way to bypass it just in case though.

Reactions: CAD
Interesting. I asked Sol-Ark on their website yesterday whether the 15k could pass the grid thru when it is off and they got back to me in a couple hours and said yes, although you have to turn it on and change a setting to enable that and then when it is off it passes the grid thru. They did say they recommend having a way to bypass it just in case though.
Did they say what that setting was?

Even with the setting, if software bugs or something goes bad, still a bad deal. I’ve gone through it.

Solution is - in your wire gutters below, install multitaps so that if solark goes south, you can jumper it with adequate wire gauge etc.

Something like this - Morris Products 97643 Multi-Cable Connector, Insulated, Dual Entry, Black, 3 Ports, 250-6 Wire Range, 5/16" Allen Hex 3 Ports, 250-6 Wire Range, 5/16" Allen Hex https://a.co/d/47GcPZD

Did they provide you with details about the "pass-through while off" settings?

We had the power company out Thursday to turn off the power, we rerouted the service entrance through the disconnect, into the Sol-Ark, and "load" out to the main breaker. When AC was restored, we had power on the main breaker. After the family returned, the system started over current tripping for non load related reasons. I got the system on the Internet and Sol-Ark updated the firmware, solving that problem.....I think.

Did they say what that setting was?

Even with the setting, if software bugs or something goes bad, still a bad deal. I’ve gone through it.

Solution is - in your wire gutters below, install multitaps so that if solark goes south, you can jumper it with adequate wire gauge etc.

Something like this - Morris Products 97643 Multi-Cable Connector, Insulated, Dual Entry, Black, 3 Ports, 250-6 Wire Range, 5/16" Allen Hex 3 Ports, 250-6 Wire Range, 5/16" Allen Hex https://a.co/d/47GcPZD
Gutter box installed distribution blocks, good idea. I had been thinking about something like that.

Gutter box installed distribution blocks, good idea. I had been thinking about something like that.
At least you can do it now. I learned the hard way. Every time solark has a problem, they’ll say “let’s update you to a newer software”. Meanwhile, power is out and other folks in the house are mad at you because of you are always jacking with stuff. Hahaha. ??? (my life).

I do sometimes feel like we (the customer) are the beta testers for Solark in many cases.

Glad I came across this thread. Setting up taps for jumpers is an excellent idea, much more cost effective than a fancy double throw switch or something.

I shudder at the thought of the look my wife would give me if the power goes down and I tell her "hold on I just need to update the software on the inverter!"

Does anyone have a link or something to these multitaps? I just bought a 200A transfer switch for this problem but would love to save money since it's just a fallback plan

Because I am only passing through 100 amps to my 15k, I installed this between it and my sub panel. This reliance switch can have breakers up to 125a.

Does anyone have a link or something to these multitaps? I just bought a 200A transfer switch for this problem but would love to save money since it's just a fallback plan
You will need to select appropriate gauge. I use the 3/0 version. This is link on Amazon (check size for gauge).

You can also get these at your electrical supply house such as CED, Locke, etc.

Morris Products Black Insulated Multi-Cable Connector – 3 Wire Ports, 3/0-6 Wire Range, 1/4 Allen Hex – 2.10“ L x 1.99” H – Single Entry – Small Wire Range, 1-Pack (97579) https://a.co/d/brZd8Vg

At least you can do it now. I learned the hard way. Every time solark has a problem, they’ll say “let’s update you to a newer software”. Meanwhile, power is out and other folks in the house are mad at you because of you are always jacking with stuff. Hahaha. ??? (my life).

I do sometimes feel like we (the customer) are the beta testers for Solark in many cases.
Seriously!? If a SolArk fails or is shut off it doesn't default to pass through the AC input to the AC output? This is certainly one of the things that really needs to be talked about more often. The Schneider XW power panels can built with a bypass kit. Of course it's limited to 60 amps but still it's super handy when you need it.

Seriously!? If a SolArk fails or is shut off it doesn't default to pass through the AC input to the AC output? This is certainly one of the things that really needs to be talked about more often. The Schneider XW power panels can built with a bypass kit. Of course it's limited to 60 amps but still it's super handy when you need it.
Nope I installed a transfer switch next to mine so I could at least get grid power and bypass the Sol Ark. I thought it was crazy too

Attachments

• 191A8B45-C4B1-4EA4-8112-D54AFC870FD9.jpeg
    191A8B45-C4B1-4EA4-8112-D54AFC870FD9.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 160
Just wondering if there are any updates on this? Did anyone find this 'pass-through' setting, or have newer firmware versions fixed this? I'm debating installing a transfer switch, I've heard Sol-Ark says you don't need it, neither does my installer, but it seems like there could be times when I'll wish I had it.

The Sol Ark does not default to pass through. If you shut it off or it malfunctions the House is dark. Hence the manual transfer switch.

Schneider uses a $250 transfer kit for 60 amps. Sol Ark uses a transfer switch $600 for 200 amps and is super handy. Your complaint is?

Sol-Ark originally indicated it could pass through power when it was off.
I don’t know if that planned changed but even if it worked I would never set up an inverter without a transfer switch.

I'm not sure how it would be possible for any inverter to pass through power when off, short of building in a transfer switch.

The transfer relays need power to close. There needs to be monitoring involved before closing those relays...
My Schneider is the same way.
Inverter off = relays open
But I have a bypass set up installed.

Schneider uses a $250 transfer kit for 60 amps. Sol Ark uses a transfer switch $600 for 200 amps and is super handy. Your complaint is?
Resurrected an old post just to take a pot shot at someone? That's classy.

Was I complaining? I was stating surprise about something that isn't often talked about and in the past had been stated was built in.

The Schneider is a factory option that doesn't take up any more room.

Back