diy solar

diy solar

Sol-Ark 15k pass through when "off"?

Resurrected an old post just to take a pot shot at someone? That's classy.

Was I complaining? I was stating surprise about something that isn't often talked about and in the past had been stated was built in.

The Schneider is a factory option that doesn't take up any more room.
Well everyone stay away from Sol Ark takes up too much room. In my entire life I have never seem so much hate on Sol Ark. There are 3-4 people on here that just can’t stand it that Sol Ark works so well. They spend every waking moment complaining. They don’t own them and they don’t want anyone else to either.

Oz you seem to have an Ax to grind with the Missouri Wind guys too. What is your recommended system? Perhaps we should ban the mention of Sol Ark on these forums? Maybe you should approach Will about that! Your way or the highway I guess.

If we were honest, it appears this is a common behavior among AIO inverters. Never ends.

Was I complaining? I was stating surprise about something that isn't often talked about and in the past had been stated was built in.

The Schneider is a factory option that doesn't take up any more room.
No I’ve just been out of town and I was catching up. I’m just surprised you were unaware that most if not all the AIO function this way not just the Sol Ark.

The pass-through relay coils have to be energized to pass through current from AC input to AC output.

Most modern inverters have an AC input power supply to power processor and relay, or they can take power from attached batteries.

I agree with @robby the installation of a transfer switch is necessary for all AIO inverters. It allows inverter isolation for troubleshooting, service and/or replacement. Seems like a great idea so that’s what we did.

Your inverter is making loud arcing sounds and smoke is starting to come out top of unit.

What is the first thing you are going to do (after crapping in your pants)

I have Anderson 350 connectors on my batteries, and I can testify they are not best way to pull the plug. They are not that easy to snap apart especially if you have 2/0 or 4/0 cables attached to them.

Also think about it being done in the dark.

I would just clarify that it can also be done with $30 interlock kit, an extra breaker and some wire.
Maybe you should post a diagram and materials list for others. I’m sure there are other ways to do it. IMO you should have a safe method of isolating your inverter and return your loads to the grid in the event of a serious inverter malfunction or failure. Don’t think it’s necessary then don’t install one.

I agree with @robby the installation of a transfer switch is necessary for all AIO inverters. It allows inverter isolation for troubleshooting, service and/or replacement. Seems like a great idea so that’s what we did.
A transfer switch on a hybrid inverter AC input that can immediately switch between two live asynchronous AC input sources (like grid and generator) can damage inverter.

Inverter's pass-through relay needs to be allowed time to disengage before subjecting AC input to an alternate, out of sync, AC source.

Last edited:
Maybe you should post a diagram and materials list for others
The materials list is just that, an additional breaker, some wire and the interlock kit that works with your panel. I got my inspiration after buying a switch from Midnight Solar and realized after spending many hours wiring it that it was just two interlocked breakers.
I am not facile with diagrams but there are plenty of YT videos and posts on this forum. The key search term is, "interlock". Depending on the panel, some work with a main breaker at the top center and the bypass breaker in the next slot on the top right or left. Others work with opposing breakers. In either case the interlock insures that only one breaker is on at any time. Wiring diagrams are typically provided with those devices.

Your inverter is making loud arcing sounds and smoke is starting to come out top of unit.

What is the first thing you are going to do (after crapping in your pants)

I have Anderson 350 connectors on my batteries, and I can testify they are not best way to pull the plug. They are not that easy to snap apart especially if you have 2/0 or 4/0 cables attached to them.

Also think about it being done in the dark.
In that scenario, my cable quick disconnect:

1673802504873.jpeg

A transfer switch on a hybrid inverter AC input that can immediately switch between two live asynchronous AC input sources (like grid and generator) can damage inverter.

Inverter's pass-through relay needs to be allowed time to disengage before subjecting AC input to an alternate, out of sync, AC source.
Wouldn’t that depend on the Inverter (how it handles it)? What is your definition of “immediately?”

370785FD-A5AA-4299-A8BF-73FBE3D89259.jpeg

I think the main discussion is on a bypass transfer switch, not an input transfer switch. This one:
sol-ark transfer.jpg

Post #15, by cm119 was 15 minutes before his and is likely to be the one resurrecting this post.

Look at post #13, the post had been dead for 23 days and you brought it back to complain that the SolArk didn't default to a dangerous or impossible position. Then saying the optional bypass breakers with interlock from Schneider is somehow making the Schneider better in this regard?

Don't get me wrong, I've got a Schneider XW with the bypass breakers, I see no reason I'd want to swap to a transformerless SolArk, but I've got to agree with the others. You really do seem to have an ax to grind.

I think the main discussion is on a bypass transfer switch, not an input transfer switch.
The fundamental question at the beginning of this thread was whether some form of bypass was necessary. There are many options, each of which has its pros and cons.

I think the main discussion is on a bypass transfer switch, not an input transfer switch. This one:
View attachment 129749
In my installation I used this diagram to wire the bypass transfer switch along with this diagram I used for wiring the gen through an ATS.

Attachments

• F03894D6-1028-48A1-8902-1490A0C3D77A.jpeg
    F03894D6-1028-48A1-8902-1490A0C3D77A.jpeg
    534.5 KB · Views: 39
i think most of hybrids inverter transfer switch relay on the grid input is normally close, it only energize when the grid is down To isolate between inverter and grid

i think most of hybrids inverter transfer switch relay on the grid input is normally close, it only energize when the grid is down To isolate between inverter and grid
I disagree I think they are normally open grid input and require a working inverter to close the relay. It’s probably a safety issue. We know Schneider Deye and Sol Ark operate normally open.

I disagree I think they are normally open grid input and require a working inverter to close the relay. It’s probably a safety issue. We know Schneider Deye and Sol Ark operate normally open.

I agree with you and that is how my SolArk and Skybox worked, It is normally open to the grid as a fail safe (safety reasons) if something fails the grid is not connected, I think that is what @GRV0423 may be conceptually saying. If the relay is energized, it closes the grid connection,

That is why, when it is powered off for maintenance or firmware upgrades, I needed some form of bypass to power my critical loads panel, Sometimes I also think rebooting the inverter is a way to make sure complex programming functions get implemented, That may be the case with TOU settings where you may be making changes in a TOU time that coincides with a current timeframe.

Last edited:
I agree with you and that is how my SolArk and Skybox worked, It is normally open to the grid as a fail safe (safety reasons) if something fails the grid is not connected, That is why, when it is powered off for maintenance or firmware upgrades, I needed some form of bypass to power my critical loads panel, Sometimes I also think rebooting the inverter is a way to make sure complex programming functions get implemented, That may be the case with TOU settings where you may be making changes in a TOU time that coincides with a current timeframe.
I find my TOU settings are implemented immediately. I use my TOU a lot. If the time is 19:05 and I go in and put my charge to start at 1900 it starts immediately despite being past the actual 1900 start time. That’s how my Sol Ark works.

I find my TOU settings are implemented immediately.
I have seen the same thing. On my first call to tech support he had me do a full reboot after making changes and I assumed that it must be to clear some buffer or something else. It was never explained.

Back