diy solar

diy solar

Sol-Ark 15k - Please confirm settings

This is my thinking also. If you have net metering and no TOU, no reason to use the batteries at all unless the grid is down. Any ‘savings’ by discharging the battery are negated by having to use PV to recharge is the next day anyway, so your ‘net’ is the same. BUT you lost efficiency due to losses in charging/discharging and conversion.
We all have our opinions; personally I prefer the idea of cycling 50% of battery capacity to maximize self-consumption and minimize peak export. It helps you be a good neighbor (lower transformer loading, increased probability that all solar is consumed in your neighborhood) and in the process keep the utility on their toes on how to screw you over on the next tariff change.

TOU is one set of challenges... but there are actually worse schemes for solar+battery that the Utility can do (even worse than California's NEM3).

It helps you be a good neighbor (lower transformer loading, increased probability that all solar is consumed in your neighborhood)
"Good neighbor" and "lower transformer loading" is dependent on what your neighbors have. If they don't have solar, pushing to grid during high production can offset your neighbors draw. If the do have solar, then push out from battery between 4-7pm, which is peak draw time.

Clarifying question regarding these settings as I can't find anything in the manual.

If you are on the home screen and hit the "grid" icon. It will show you your grid sell back and consumption for that day in the form of a bar graph. On the top left of that screen it shows 8,000w. But I can't find where that setting is to change it to 15,000w. So if I am sending back 9kw it simply maxes out the graph.

Any insights on that? I have been to every setting I can find. I also have max grid sell set to 15kw.

Thanks!

Back