diy solar

diy solar

Sol ark 15k smart loading heating hwt

In the video, @2:48 you have 3kW water heating.
I noticed that you are located in Canada, near Winnipeg,
but could you have considered having a water heatpump?
I did not go the heat pump route because those hot water tanks take the heat from the room to heat the water. In winter I don't want my room temp being reduced to heat water as this room will be a cooler room. The mech room located in the garage is not the best for this. In my research heat pump water tanks work best in the south where they want to get rid of the heat.

I did not go the heat pump route because those hot water tanks take the heat from the room to heat the water.
Except for Sandens. FWIW, there appear to be a couple other similar products (possibly) on the way to North America.

has anyone ever figured out a way to make the sol ark operate in smart load off solar only? Right now it is not possible in the settings, it will use still a minimum of 5% of battery in % mode, or 0.5V battery capacity in Voltage mode

has anyone ever figured out a way to make the sol ark operate in smart load off solar only? Right now it is not possible in the settings, it will use still a minimum of 5% of battery in % mode, or 0.5V battery capacity in Voltage mode
Not possible because on a day when cloud coverage is scattered the inverter would be switching the SL off and on constantly as the clouds passed by.
The battery is a buffer to prevent hysteresis.
This might not be a major issue for a hot water heater but any other device like an AC unit connected to SL would get damaged.

Not possible because on a day when cloud coverage is scattered the inverter would be switching the SL off and on constantly as the clouds passed by.
The battery is a buffer to prevent hysteresis.
This might not be a major issue for a hot water heater but any other device like an AC unit connected to SL would get damaged.
I figured it out! Because for my case the hot water heater going on and off isn't a big deal. What I did was set my smart load to come ON when battery is at full bulk charge voltage then turn OFF 0.1 v less than my float So basically when the battery starts getting used that first slump voltage shuts it off.

Back