diy solar

diy solar

Sol-Ark 15k - Surge Amps

I don't have a problem with the fact that it's made in China. (They almost all are)
Actually Deye would be the best option, since it's the same thing. (Deye is the manufacturer of Sol-Ark)
At half the cost.
And you get full balanced power output from a single phase inverter.
But as far as options, there are many out there.
Just look for the features you need.
I'm just an old man who holds integrity and honesty in high regards. Even in a world where it's getting harder to find.
Amen Brother!! Enough said.

My Sol-Ark 15K will start a 4ton A/C from batteries but I do have some dimming of the lights. I'm adding a soft start to both my A/C units so I don't have dimming.
Same here. My 15K will start a 4-ton with 117.5A inrush on battery. Slight dimming of lights but house stays running. I did install a MicroAir soft start and am now at 38-40A starting.

If I were to go that route. I would probably go with the SunSink version. They seem to be on top of things, with their firmware. They're all Deye inverters, but the firmware is what makes them reliable. I might add one to my system at a later expansion. But for now, I have enough equipment. I'm looking forward to a break from building. And just enjoying the fruits of my labor. (At least for a little while) before I start the next phase of this journey.
Sunsynk and Deye uses same core firmware with different UI firmware. Same version numbers. Both Deye, Sunsynk gets updated every month or so. Deye isn't old.

Sunsynk and Deye uses same core firmware with different UI firmware. Same version numbers. Both Deye, Sunsynk gets updated every month or so. Deye isn't old.
actually all 3 share the same base code, abeit different gui layout and logos
sunsynk used to be 1 version ahead, but i believe this is no longer true

This is hopefully a quick easy question.

I’m reading the manual for the 15 Sol-Ark trying to make sure the AC units I wanna use will not trip the inverter.

So if I’m reading this right, the Sol-Ark 15 can surge it’s output to 24,000VA at 240V, essentially 100 amps for 10 seconds.

So if I had an AC unit turn on that used 80 at startup, then idled down to say 40 amps, on battery and or Solar, the Sol-Ark should have enough surge output to startup the AC load without tripping?

Is that correct?
You're going to want to get a soft/hard start kit. My 5 ton geo (40 amp breaker) would take my Sol-Ark 15K offline every couple starts until I did that.

You're going to want to get a soft/hard start kit. My 5 ton geo (40 amp breaker) would take my Sol-Ark 15K offline every couple starts until I did that.
It’s not both. You purchase a Micro Air Easy Start ASY-368-X48-BLUE or soft start to be gentle on our hf inverters.

A hard start is used when a compressor is on its last leg, getting tight and hard to start.

It’s not both. You purchase a Micro Air Easy Start ASY-368-X48-BLUE or soft start to be gentle on our hf inverters.

A hard start is used when a compressor is on its last leg, getting tight and hard to start.
How do I know if it will work for my unit? I know both shouldn't be installed. I'll remove the hard start kit if I can find a soft start kit that will work with it.

How do I know if it will work for my unit? I know both shouldn't be installed. I'll remove the hard start kit if I can find a soft start kit that will work with it.
I'd contact microair and ask if their 6 ton soft starter is compatible

If you have a hard start installed, now.
It probably won't start with a soft start. How old is this compressor? It should probably be replaced, as the first priority.

Then why does it have a hard start installed?
Because that was my HVAC vendor's solution to the inrush current.

Other Carrier Infinity geo units have their "Smart Start" soft start built in, but for some reason this split system geo unit doesn't. I wish I had known, but not sure it would've resolved anything as my install required a split system.

Other Carrier Infinity geo units have their "Smart Start" soft start built in, but for some reason this split system geo unit doesn't. I wish I had known, but not sure it would've resolved anything as my install required a split system.
That seems very odd to me.
I would expect it to increase the inrush current.
Maybe @RV10flyer can explain why your installer would do that.

Found this:

“The company was started by veterans and exists because of the efforts of veterans and reservists as engineers or in the production line.”
Thanks and I also found a Video from 2017 with a much younger looking Tom Installing an 8K at what I think is his house.
That would make it 3 years before Deye had the 8K Inverter.

Thanks and I also found a Video from 2017 with a much younger looking Tom Installing an 8K at what I think is his house.
That would make it 3 years before Deye had the 8K Inverter.
What do you have to say about this @robby ? https://web.archive.org/web/20180314071750/https://deyeinverter.en.alibaba.com/
So Deye was selling the 8kw hybrid since at least March 2018 (That is the earliest snapshot from wayback machine) and your claimed "2017" video was uploaded in April 2018

1672879758721.png

1672848478859.png

1672885743234.png

1672885769955.png

Last edited:

At one time in my life, all I knew about were hard start kits. I went to 2 years of tech school and never heard of a soft start kit, Soft start kits are desirable for excessive dimming of lights on start up, usually with 4 or 5 ton PSC compressors or for being gentle on our high freq inverters. Your HVAC guy just didn’t know any better. I was there at one time in my life, so it’s OK. Teach him too. Now after being off grid for almost one year, I would only recommend variable speed or inverter driven units from now on for solar guys. My 2 ton 20 SEER variable speed American Standard platinum heat pump and my Fujitsu 9K 33 seer are both very gentle on my inverters.

Are they power factor corrected?
Can you measure the current waveform? Voltage waveform?

My non-PF corrected VFD for 2 HP pool pump upsets AC coupled GT PV inverters when operating off-grid.

Back