diy solar

diy solar

Sol-Ark 15k will only invert 13k of DC PV to AC

I’m now running MCU 7221.
Ok,
That is good news at least. Same here.
I have a feeling they are tweaking the next version right now. Did you see any other issues even weird things unrelated to the phantom clipping you show in the graph? We had several
glitches that did resolve with the new system update. No fun being the guinea pig but I do believe Sol-Ark will make it right. ?
I posted current version below.
Mention my case number to your rep when you
talk to them. I would imagine they share cases but just in case they have more info. I posted my case number earlier.
1667952499127.jpeg

Do these numbers look right for a 15k? I just put this system in for my sister and currently only working in the mode to cover the output load, so we have yet to fully test it feeding back to the grid. The book shows different numbers and I can't increase the load limit to anything above 12000 and have it save.
Here’s what I’m using
1667953541047.jpeg

Check out this throttling on the 15k running MCU 7221. - feeling disappointed……. ?View attachment 119567View attachment 119568
So here is a graph from yesterday, the only problem is there isn’t enough sun to max out
panels. We may not know until April if the problem persists. As of this moment everything is working to spec. I am hoping it’s fixed here with this last firmware and factory reset.
Sun is barely getting ACC array to 12,000

Attachments

• 3FED43CB-B9AC-4C33-8F33-683ACE420767.jpeg
    3FED43CB-B9AC-4C33-8F33-683ACE420767.jpeg
    161.4 KB · Views: 38
Ok,
That is good news at least. Same here.
I have a feeling they are tweaking the next version right now. Did you see any other issues even weird things unrelated to the phantom clipping you show in the graph? We had several
glitches that did resolve with the new system update. No fun being the guinea pig but I do believe Sol-Ark will make it right. ?
I posted current version below.
Mention my case number to your rep when you
talk to them. I would imagine they share cases but just in case they have more info. I posted my case number earlier.
View attachment 119580
I believe the system seems more stable on 7221, but of course the throttling/clipping at just above 13kw remains on the DC PV.

I apologize that I’ve been unable to update you guys on this. Solark seems to not answer the phone these days, won’t call back, and it’s been almost 2 weeks with no answer via email on the case number 65997.

I’ve ask for a simple phone call and nothing.

Feeling very disappointed…..

DABCB9C0-F51B-47FC-95F9-BDF40E1D38AC.jpeg

Solark called me back after leaving a message. Good news is, this has been escalated internally and Solark at this time still believes the issue might be able to be corrected with software/firmware.

Solark has promised to provide me a weekly update, which is something we were lacking before. I believe now that they will hopefully get a resolution soon.

I did advise we had other folks with some similar issues on the forum. If you have this throttling issue, it is best to get a ticket opened so that they can track properly.

I will provide an update as soon as I hear more.

Hey Clint I saw that Sol-Ark just dropped this video and I was wondering if it had anything to do with your problem?

I am guessing it does not but in any case it's a good tutorial video.

Solark called me back after leaving a message. Good news is, this has been escalated internally and Solark at this time still believes the issue might be able to be corrected with software/firmware.

I watched the video above and one thing caught my eye, at time 5:49 & 6:37 they are showing a menu, typically used of AC coupling where it appears the default values show 90% for the smart load option, which would imply something special at 13.5kw ( 90% of rated ) relating to AC coupling for the 15kw unit.

My thought on this is the unit intentionally enables a reduction of maximum power generation percentage wise to allow enough buffer in the battery and while I don't think in your case it should be doing anything, from the description it sounds like it maybe doing this reduction.

I'd make that value 100% just for giggles and see if anything changes ...

Update -
Sol-ark replaced my 15k. Unfortunately, we are still clipping at 13.4kw of DC PV. They are circling back to my arrays now and asking about combiners etc. problem with this is, while all 3 MPPTs are connected to my three arrays they max out at about 14.3 amps each. If I pull off any single one of the arrays and it doesn’t matter which one, the other two arrays will produce around 20 amps correction .

I do feel like they want to fix it and maybe they will, but I’ve yet to see anyone I’ve spoken with show me a graph of where they are having three arrays each at 6,400 watts max connected to the 15k and showing it “inverting” a full 15k.

If you have screenshots of the 15k inverting a full 15kw of DC PV and grid connected with grid sell please post here. I keep hearing from Sol-ark that the inverter should clip/throttle a full 19.2kw 3 array setup at about 15.3kw. I’ve never seen it once. It hits 13.5 or so max of DCPV and just throttles.

Here’s my array info -
Array 1 - 400w QCELL G10+ (MPPT 1)
16 panels configured in two string of 8 in series. The two strings are paralleled and sent to the solark. Max 6.4kw

Array 2 - 400w QCELL G10+ (MPPT 2)
16 panels configured in two strings of 8 in series. The two strings are paralleled and sent to the solark. Max 6.4kw

Array 3 - 320w QCELL G5 (MPPT 3)
20 panels configured in two string of 10 in series. The two strings are paralleled and sent to the solark. Max 6.4kw

The below photo is todays production. You can clearly see this clipping.

E9CCE486-78CD-4BC4-9FB2-0641E2368B5D.jpeg

Last edited:
Update -
Sol-ark replaced my 15k. Unfortunately, we are still clipping at 13.4kw of DC PV. They are circling back to my arrays now and asking about combiners etc. problem with this is, while all 3 MPPTs are connected to my three arrays they max out at about 14.3 amps each. If I pull off any single one of the arrays and it doesn’t matter which one, the other two arrays will produce around 200amps.
Huh!!! How is that possible??? 200 Amps from two Arrays.

Update -
Sol-ark replaced my 15k. Unfortunately, we are still clipping at 13.4kw of DC PV. They are circling back to my arrays now and asking about combiners etc. problem with this is, while all 3 MPPTs are connected to my three arrays they max out at about 14.3 amps each. If I pull off any single one of the arrays and it doesn’t matter which one, the other two arrays will produce around 200amps.

I do feel like they want to fix it and maybe they will, but I’ve yet to see anyone I’ve spoken with show me a graph of where they are having three arrays each at 6,400 watts max connected to the 15k and showing it “inverting” a full 15k.

If you have screenshots of the 15k inverting a full 15kw of DC PV and grid connected with grid sell please post here. I keep hearing from Sol-ark that the inverter should clip/throttle a full 19.2kw 3 array setup at about 15.3kw. I’ve never seen it once. It hits 13.5 or so max of DCPV and just throttles.

Here’s my array info -
Array 1 - 400w QCELL G10+ (MPPT 1)
16 panels configured in two string of 8 in series. The two strings are paralleled and sent to the solark. Max 6.4kw

Array 2 - 400w QCELL G10+ (MPPT 2)
16 panels configured in two strings of 8 in series. The two strings are paralleled and sent to the solark. Max 6.4kw

Array 3 - 320w QCELL G5 (MPPT 3)
20 panels configured in two string of 10 in series. The two strings are paralleled and sent to the solark. Max 6.4kw

The below photo is todays production. You can clearly see this clipping.

View attachment 125124
I have a dual 15k parallel setup with 40kW DC coupled panels. I can actually pull 32KW from PV to loads/grid, as you can tell it in the app use 18kW of PV.
When I first installed my system I thought I had the same issue as you, as I would flat line clip at ~17kW. There was no setting on the sol-ark screen I could change to make go higher. Got a hold of Sol-ark, and of course there are setting not available on the front panel. In the app- System work mode, "Max Solar Power" was set to 9kw. I have it set to 18kw now. I'm sure they checked that for you.
Anyway attached is a screenshot of the Power view app showing 30kW from the panels. I have seen higher, but I have been running off grid after getting everything set up.
So, yes the inverters can do as claimed and higher.

Attachments

• Solark 15k 30k produced.jpg
    Solark 15k 30k produced.jpg
    71.7 KB · Views: 32
Last edited:
We have went through all of those settings with Sol-ark. It’s amazing to see yours working. If you don’t mind me asking, what voltage do each of your arrays run at and what amperage when you are maxing out? Mine just never go over 14.3 amps unless I pull one array offline and then the other two remaining MPPTs will go up to 20 amps.

I have a dual 15k parallel setup with 40kW DC coupled panels. I can actually pull 32KW from PV to loads/grid, as you can tell it in the app use 18kW of PV.
When I first installed my system I thought I had the same issue as you, as I would flat line clip at ~17kW. There was no setting on the sol-ark screen I could change to make go higher. Got a hold of Sol-ark, and of course there are setting not available on the front panel. In the app- System work mode, "Max Solar Power" was set to 9kw. I have it set to 18kw now. I'm sure they checked that for you.
Anyway attached is a screenshot of the Power view app showing 30kW from the panels. I have seen higher, but I have been running off grid after getting everything set up.
So, yes the inverters can do as claimed and higher.
Got any pics of that beastly system? That's about the size I'm aiming for in the next few years.

We have went through all of those settings with Sol-ark. It’s amazing to see yours working. If you don’t mind me asking, what voltage do each of your arrays run at and what amperage when you are maxing out? Mine just never go over 14.3 amps unless I pull one array offline and then the other two remaining MPPTs will go up to 20 amps.
That was 4 strings at ~300V @20A and 1 string at 350V @ 20A. I now have all 6 strings hooked up. 4 are ~350VOC and 2 are ~400VOC.

Back