diy solar

diy solar

Sol-Ark 15k will only invert 13k of DC PV to AC

I feel like I agree. Mainly at this point just the amount of time I’ve spent. It’s kind of like, an easy thing is just let’s swap it out and see if the problem is corrected. We certainly won’t be in a worse place. ?
If you do please update on on the how the return process works, and also if the replacement unit was able to remedy the issue.

If you do please update on on the how the return process works, and also if the replacement unit was able to remedy the issue.
I’m hoping for an exchange as well. I would prefer a software fix if at all possible. Does anyone care to shared their GEN input settings for dropping out the micros and where to allow them back in? I’ll go snap shot mine. Here is a graph dropping out just above 12k yesterday.

Attachments

• 2276DA06-167F-410E-8BAF-50DD0BD06586.png
    2276DA06-167F-410E-8BAF-50DD0BD06586.png
    407.4 KB · Views: 16
  • 1D081C8B-04EC-4CF0-A21F-9568B137484B.png
    1D081C8B-04EC-4CF0-A21F-9568B137484B.png
    382.8 KB · Views: 16
I’m hoping for an exchange as well. I would prefer a software fix if at all possible. Does anyone care to shared their GEN input settings for dropping out the micros and where to allow them back in? I’ll go snap shot mine. Here is a graph dropping out just above 12k yesterday.
Oh I’m case I didn’t mention it TOU grid sell isn’t allowing sell to grid over around 760watts even when set for 2500. Also when it disconnects from the grid several electric appliances glitch
Out ie. Philips hue bulbs, computer UPS stays in backup failsafe and the 240 electric oven resets and clock goes to 12:00, several times a day when solar approaches 12k grid sell. When the
ACC solar was higher last month, it dropped out much more often. Like ACC on for two minutes then drop out for ten, while the Enphase micro inverters ramped up. Over and over and over until Solark production went below 12k in the afternoon. Basically turning a 80-90kw day(without SolArk in the loop) into only producing 7-8 kw at the end of the day. Not acceptable. Customer bill went from -$449 in August to $297 this last cycle. I look like the jerk to the customer, because I am. I’ve basically ruined their perfect grid tied net metered system. Unless I can make a miracle happen this week,
It’ll all have to come out and be put back the way
it was before I added the 15k and battery bank.

Oh I’m case I didn’t mention it TOU grid sell isn’t allowing sell to grid over around 760watts even when set for 2500. Also when it disconnects from the grid several electric appliances glitch
Out ie. Philips hue bulbs, computer UPS stays in backup failsafe and the 240 electric oven resets and clock goes to 12:00, several times a day when solar approaches 12k grid sell. When the
ACC solar was higher last month, it dropped out much more often. Like ACC on for two minutes then drop out for ten, while the Enphase micro inverters ramped up. Over and over and over until Solark production went below 12k in the afternoon. Basically turning a 80-90kw day(without SolArk in the loop) into only producing 7-8 kw at the end of the day. Not acceptable. Customer bill went from -$449 in August to $297 this last cycle. I look like the jerk to the customer, because I am. I’ve basically ruined their perfect grid tied net metered system. Unless I can make a miracle happen this week,
Here are the smart load settings right now. Per Sol-ark instruction battery is in percentage mode. Previous I always used voltage mode. I don’t think it makes a difference as far as when and if it drops ACC out in this installation.

Attachments

• 77564AD1-641C-4DC1-AB88-21A59706D981.png
    77564AD1-641C-4DC1-AB88-21A59706D981.png
    119.1 KB · Views: 11
Here are the smart load settings right now. Per Sol-ark instruction battery is in percentage mode. Previous I always used voltage mode. I don’t think it makes a difference as far as when and if it drops ACC out in this installation.
Here’s how it looks in voltage mode
1667541002426.png

Customer bill went from -$449 in August to $297 this last cycle. I look like the jerk to the customer, because I am. I’ve basically ruined their perfect grid tied net metered system. Unless I can make a miracle happen this week,
Sounds like a complete nightmare

Sounds like a complete nightmare
Hi
Yup. Not a great place to be for me.
In case your wondering, yes, I’ve written a check already to their attorney to cover the lost solar production. I want to make this right for her what ever it takes. Even when it’s out of my pocket.

Sol-ark engineering got back to me today.
I’m told they have a brand new firmware for
this inverter that should correct the problem.
I haven’t been given any details about the solution, which would be nice to know.
I’m wondering if there are many people with
the 15k maxing out the ACC and also having a
large DC array? Original plan was to have the
19.2k ACC basically stay grid tied and add a large DC array 12k now with room to expand all the way up to 19.5k for a total of 38.7K. I’m
concerned now about the 15k being able to modulate that much power without an incredibly
large battery bank, and even then I’d be weary.

This customer has two EV’s being delivered in a few weeks so they will need all the solar they
can produce, and then some.

It’s looking like the 6k DC Array will stay as is.
They are talking to other solar installers currently. I can feel the tire tracks on my back.

Finished informing the family that there is a software update that “may” solve the problem,
But the power will drop out for several seconds
while the inverter reboots. Sol-Ark engineer will
push the update Monday morning. I’ll post a
message after update is done and I’ve run some
diagnostics to verify it’s working properly. ?

Have a Great Weekend everyone!

I posted a suggestion, maybe you didn't see it -

If you moved part of their AC coupled PV to the grid & meter side of SolArk, so what remains on SolArk is within what it can handle, would that solve the problem?
It should let 100% of GT PV backfeed the grid, and what remains on SolArk would be available when in backup mode.

(I understand, though, that 2x 12k should let it perform as advertised. If that works, you ought to ask SolArk to eat the higher price you would have to eat. Probably just a reduction in markup for them, and they get kudos on the forum for doing right by a customer.)

Hi
Yup. Not a great place to be for me.
In case your wondering, yes, I’ve written a check already to their attorney to cover the lost solar production. I want to make this right for her what ever it takes. Even when it’s out of my pocket.

Sol-ark engineering got back to me today.
I’m told they have a brand new firmware for
this inverter that should correct the problem.
I haven’t been given any details about the solution, which would be nice to know.
I’m wondering if there are many people with
the 15k maxing out the ACC and also having a
large DC array? Original plan was to have the
19.2k ACC basically stay grid tied and add a large DC array 12k now with room to expand all the way up to 19.5k for a total of 38.7K. I’m
concerned now about the 15k being able to modulate that much power without an incredibly
large battery bank, and even then I’d be weary.

This customer has two EV’s being delivered in a few weeks so they will need all the solar they
can produce, and then some.

It’s looking like the 6k DC Array will stay as is.
They are talking to other solar installers currently. I can feel the tire tracks on my back.

Finished informing the family that there is a software update that “may” solve the problem,
But the power will drop out for several seconds
while the inverter reboots. Sol-Ark engineer will
push the update Monday morning. I’ll post a
message after update is done and I’ve run some
diagnostics to verify it’s working properly. ?

Have a Great Weekend everyone!
Sorry to hear about the bad situation you've been put in. Any update after the firmware update? Although it doesn't sound promising based on Clint's response above.

Likely unrelated, but it's worth mentioning. I believe likely have the same Sunpower 435W panels (SPR-E20-435-COM) and some of those same rebranded Enphase microinverters (SP iQ7 XS). If so, the VOC of those panels is 86.6V. The DC input range on those microinverters is 25-79.5V. Obviously the MC's are significantly over paneled to begin with (they are rated to 315W output), but more importantly they are not rated for the VOC of those panels, never mind when the temps drop and the VOC raises. I've been using these two together successfully (down to 32F so far), despite the specs. I believe the MC's can handle more than the stated max V, but I think they are de-rated to conform with RSD requirements (<80V). I was unable to get anyone at Enphase to acknowledge this, but I'm fairly certain this is the case as another MC mfg told me point blank their product would handle 100VDC, but is required to use <80VDC as their spec to meet RSD requirements. Again, I doubt this has little to do with the issues you're seeing with the customer's SA 15k inverter, but I thought I'd mention it as you likely know little about their existing equipment/install since it was preexisting. Although, I suppose there's a chance the panels are now seeing higher V since the weather is cooler and tripping out, but I kind of doubt this is the case.

Honestly, it might make more sense to DCC those 435W SP panels to get more out of the system (since they are leaving a lot on the table with the 300W-320W max of those MC's), and ACC the MC's on smaller panels when the system is expanded. Especially if what I stated above is in fact the same equipment they have as it's out of spec anyway. Just food for thought.

Last edited:
It’s now Tuesday afternoon. Solark performed upgrade on Friday. I emailed on Saturday and let them know the problem still remains. The inverter literally throttles at 13,100 to 13,200 watts maximum. I’ve seen same result with no batteries just running in straight grid tie mode.

Saturday I asked for them to just send me a new 15k to swap out, but I’ve not heard a word and it’s late Tuesday when I’m posting this.

I posted a suggestion, maybe you didn't see it -

If you moved part of their AC coupled PV to the grid & meter side of SolArk, so what remains on SolArk is within what it can handle, would that solve the problem?
It should let 100% of GT PV backfeed the grid, and what remains on SolArk would be available when in backup mode.

(I understand, though, that 2x 12k should let it perform as advertised. If that works, you ought to ask SolArk to eat the higher price you would have to eat. Probably just a reduction in markup for them, and they get kudos on the forum for doing right by a customer.)
Hi
It’s a great idea. It’s Impossible however. The customer has a SunPower contract as mentioned previously. They have a grid-tied contract and Enphase micro inverters with panel level monitoring. Removing micros would eliminate the ability to monitor each panel. SunPower has already informed the customer that any modifications to the system will void the warranty. Anyway that would just be a bandaid. The 15k is rated for much more. We
Just need to work out the new model bugs.

1667939561287.png

It’s now Tuesday afternoon. Solark performed upgrade on Friday. I emailed on Saturday and let them know the problem still remains. The inverter literally throttles at 13,100 to 13,200 watts maximum. I’ve seen same result with no batteries just running in straight grid tie mode.

Saturday I asked for them to just send me a new 15k to swap out, but I’ve not heard a word and it’s late Tuesday when I’m posting this.
I have also had Sol-Ark perform a custom firmware update for the customer. It’s been cloudy for days so I won’t know the results until
I can get some good sun on the panels. I can tell you that the TOU glitch has resolved. Do you know what software version you are running currently?

Do these numbers look right for a 15k? I just put this system in for my sister and currently only working in the mode to cover the output load, so we have yet to fully test it feeding back to the grid. The book shows different numbers and I can't increase the load limit to anything above 12000 and have it save.

Attachments

• Sol-Ark-15k-BasicSetup-advanced-tab.jpg
    Sol-Ark-15k-BasicSetup-advanced-tab.jpg
    200.2 KB · Views: 29
Do these numbers look right for a 15k? I just put this system in for my sister and currently only working in the mode to cover the output load, so we have yet to fully test it feeding back to the grid. The book shows different numbers and I can't increase the load limit to anything above 12000 and have it save.
They have that load limit set at 15k on mine now. Before latest software update, anything set over 12k would cause grid disconnect.

Have you had the software updated? Check the main default screen with the green buttons and software version shows in lower right corner.

They have that load limit set at 15k on mine now. Before latest software update, anything set over 12k would cause grid disconnect.

Have you had the software updated? Check the main default screen with the green buttons and software version shows in lower right corner.
MCU 7216 loaded on 28 Oct. That screen shot was taken after the update. When first installed it was going bonkers tripping less then 10k load when connected to the grid. I suspect it had 12k setting or something like that. That is why that 12000w number has been bugging me.

MCU 7216 loaded on 28 Oct. That screen shot was taken after the update. When first installed it was going bonkers tripping less then 10k load when connected to the grid. I suspect it had 12k setting or something like that. That is why that 12000w number has been bugging me.
Interesting. Hmmm

Check out this throttling on the 15k running MCU 7221. - feeling disappointed……. ?7F5AC64A-26B3-4511-AF2D-CE9D76A78044.jpeg31FDE475-19D3-4234-BF58-07A4EB7AD178.jpeg

Sorry to hear about the bad situation you've been put in. Any update after the firmware update? Although it doesn't sound promising based on Clint's response above.

Likely unrelated, but it's worth mentioning. I believe likely have the same Sunpower 435W panels (SPR-E20-435-COM) and some of those same rebranded Enphase microinverters (SP iQ7 XS). If so, the VOC of those panels is 86.6V. The DC input range on those microinverters is 25-79.5V. Obviously the MC's are significantly over paneled to begin with (they are rated to 315W output), but more importantly they are not rated for the VOC of those panels, never mind when the temps drop and the VOC raises. I've been using these two together successfully (down to 32F so far), despite the specs. I believe the MC's can handle more than the stated max V, but I think they are de-rated to conform with RSD requirements (<80V). I was unable to get anyone at Enphase to acknowledge this, but I'm fairly certain this is the case as another MC mfg told me point blank their product would handle 100VDC, but is required to use <80VDC as their spec to meet RSD requirements. Again, I doubt this has little to do with the issues you're seeing with the customer's SA 15k inverter, but I thought I'd mention it as you likely know little about their existing equipment/install since it was preexisting. Although, I suppose there's a chance the panels are now seeing higher V since the weather is cooler and tripping out, but I kind of doubt this is the case.

Honestly, it might make more sense to DCC those 435W SP panels to get more out of the system (since they are leaving a lot on the table with the 300W-320W max of those MC's), and ACC the MC's on smaller panels when the system is expanded. Especially if what I stated above is in fact the same equipment they have as it's out of spec anyway. Just food for thought.
Hi
You’ll have to check the earlier messages. Customer had an existing SunPower system with micro inverters and a grid tied contract. They use panel level monitoring through the micro inverters. They wouldn’t want to lose that feature. SunPower threatened the customer with voiding their warranty if the system was modified from permitted plan.

IMO the Enphase inverters are excellent. Any loses are negligible. The benefits far outweigh them as well. (Panel monitoring etc)

They also have the ability to frequency shift, when setup properly, to throttle output to meet the demand. This issue is with the 15k. It will get resolved. Unfortunately it’s a painful process to go through. Also the customer is adding 19.5k DCC panels for a total of 38.7k, so I can’t bandaid this to “make” it work. It needs to perform to listed spec. The customer has hired an engineer to do a final inspection before commissioning. I appreciate the input.
It’s a rough road but I have faith in Sol-Ark.
My contact has been excellent in doing everything he can to resolve this. Stuff happens sometimes. I will update this thread once we get this done so hopefully I can save someone from
having to go through this.

Back