SOL-ARK/DEYE Competitor - UL-Certified Megarevo 5KW-8KW 120/240V 48V Hybrid Energy Storage Inverter

the_colorist

"Move over... let me fix it" Installer/Engineer
With Deye bringing their split-phase hybrid inverter production to a halt, a few other Chinese companies are attempting to fill the void left behind.

We've been working with 2 of these companies (Megarevo & Huayu) attempting to respectively bring new split-phase hybrids to the American market.

I posted about these in another thread but one of these new lineups consists of 5KW-8KW hybrids designed to mimic all the core features of the Deye/SOL-ARK inverters. Some features (paralleling units for example) are yet missing but should be remedied via a firmware update as the product matures. It's currently a lower-cost solution than even the Deye inverters.

Some features at-a-glance:

• UL Certified (in process, certificate to follow)
  • Native 120V/240V Split-Phase
  • Zero Export/Grid-Parallel/Grid-Assist Topology
  • IP65/NEMA 3R Protected
  • 4x 500V/12A MPPT Trackers (Deye/SOL-ARK only has 2x 22A trackers)
  • Lithium BMS Integration
  • Up 190A Charge/Discharge
  • 50A Grid Passthrough
  • Dedicated Generator Input
  • AC-Coupling with existing PV inverters (under testing)
  • Parallelling (future software update, projected early next year)

Here is a mockup of the unit and the datasheet. Things are fluid enough, this mockup/render is actually wrong. The production model has 4 fans instead of just 3.

48V Split Phase Hybrid Inverter Image 4.png

Megarevo Split Phase inverter(Low voltage)-Specs.png

One of the data points not shown on the sheet is that it comes with a 5-year warranty.

The first major batch of these inverters will be rolling off of the line very soon and for those who would like to be adventurous early birds and pre-order some units to test, you're welcome to order either 5KW or 8KW units from the links below and I'll get them out ASAP. Units should ship out within the next few weeks or sooner.

$2,699 Megarevo 8KW 120/240V 48V Hybrid Energy Storage Inverter

$2,499 Megarevo 5KW 120/240V 48V Hybrid Energy Storage Inverter

Shipping & Customs/Import/Tariffs included in the price.

Feel free to leave any questions below or via PM and I'll answer them as soon as I can.

Attached below is the manual.

Mods: Feel free to move this thread where appropriate.

Attachments

• 48V Split Phase Hybrid Inverter User's Manual.pdf
    2.8 MB · Views: 108
Last edited:

the_colorist

Megarevo 6KW compared to Voltronic InfiniSolar VII 6KW/MPP LVX6048:
These are just a few of the top features that set them apart.
Feature
Megarevo Hybrid Inverter 6KW
InfiniSolar VII 6KW/MPP LVX6048
Output​
6KW​
6KW​
Short-Term Peak Output (Thermally Protected)​
6.6KVA​
6KVA?​
Certifications(4)
UL1741SA, Rule 21, HECO 14H (and more)
None​
IP65/NEMA 3R Protected​
Yes​
No​
Time-Of-Use(1)
Yes*​
No​
Grid-Zero/Self-Consumption to CT​
Yes​
No​
AC-Coupling for Existing PV Inverters(2)
Yes*​
No​
Max. Grid/Generator Input/Bypass Current​
50A​
40A​
Dedicated Generator Input​
Yes​
No​
Secondary AC Output/NON-Critical Loads Panel​
Yes​
No​
Internal Bus Voltage (MPPT's, Battery DC-DC, Inverter)
~300-400V
~48V (requires confirmation)
MPPT Trackers​
4​
1​
MPP Range​
120V-500V​
160V-450V​
Max PV Voltage​
500V​
450V​
Max Batt. Charge Current​
135A​
100A​
Max. Batt. Charge Voltage​
59V​
63V​
Max Efficiency (Batt. DC to AC)(3)
~97%​
~88%​
Total Harmonic Distortion​
2%​
Unlisted, suspected greater than 5%​
Cooling Fans​
4x, External cooling via heatsink, PCB sealed​
2x, Blows external particles directly onto PCBs​
Built-In PV Disconnect - NEC 240.15​
Yes​
No​
External Combiner Required?​
No​
Yes​
Rapid Shutdown (RSD) Compatible​
Yes​
No​
Arc Fault Detection (AFCI) - NEC 690.11/ UL1699B​
Yes​
No​
Ground Fault Detection - NEC 690.5​
Yes​
No​
PV Array Lighting Protection​
Yes​
No?​
PV Reverse Polarity Protection​
Yes​
No?​
Residual Current Protection​
Yes​
No​
Insulation Resistance Detection​
Yes​
No​
Battery Reverse Polarity Protection​
Yes​
?​
Conduit Outputs​
Yes​
Not for all outputs​
Sealed Connections​
Yes​
No​
Price
$$
$

(1,2) To be added with firmware updates.
(3) These numbers are moving targets based on load and array voltages etc. Bear in mind however the internal topology of these inverters is very different making the Megarevo more efficient overall due to a more modern/superior design architecture. The Voltronic efficiency was taken from their datasheet listed as "Efficiency (DC to AC)" although they also list a Max. Conversion Efficiency (DC/AC) of 95%.
(4) Currently in certification testing. Estimated completion January 2022.

Last edited:

Ziroy

When will they ship to Canada and will there be a package deal with some batteries?
Regards,

the_colorist

We are working on shipments to Canada. I'll update this regarding that next week or as we have new information.

Yes, we'll be offering package deals with batteries as well. We're working on several offerings that will hopefully include an empty chassis that features an installed 200A BMS and all the associated hardware to take 16x ~280AH cells and assemble them into a great-looking, fully-featured module similar to the high-end pre-built modules you find on the market now. Very quick assembly, possibly 20 minutes or less. The BMS will include closed-loop integration with most (if not all) major inverters on the market. Firmware updates can expand this.

The idea is it'll look great, probably include an LCD, and it will be stackable (communication links) with further modules if you have more than 16 cells or choose to expand later on. No need to spend days assembling cells together wood/plexiglass or threaded rods. Or creating wiring harnesses etc. Just assemble, connect the cables, and flip the switch. We've done all the design work for you.

Last edited:

the_colorist

We would like to give the forum/internet some solid unbiased reviews of these units. We didn't have a hand in the initial design of these but we're working with the factory who did and would like to give them feedback so we can collaboratively improve them to become a solid market product. As such, we're looking for beta testers to try them and give the forum/internet your honest feedback with as much coverage as you can. We'll only do this for a very select number of units so if you're looking for an inverter already and would like to be a beta tester, shoot me a PM. We're willing to practically give these away at cost or even discounted over cost for initial testers.

Nene

Does any of these units (5k versions) support time of use function, that is on peak grid rate, inverter to power the loads through battery and charge when grid rate is low. I did not get that in manual.
Thanks

the_colorist

Does any of these units (5k versions) support time of use function, that is on peak grid rate, inverter to power the loads through battery and charge when grid rate is low. I did not get that in manual.
Thanks
Yes, according to the engineers this is possible and we'll be testing that fully as soon as we can.

schmism

Solar Addict
I have several significant issues.
1) solark has UL certs and these products dont.
2) software to drive the units. Seems any fly by night china corp can push out these units. Software support and software quality/features is were the real work is. Solark's software and software features seems unmatched in the industry at the moment.
3) 12a PV input is pathetically low. to support any real PV array id have to run multiple strings of wire from my array back to the inverter increasing cost and complexity.

somewhat less of an issue as it depends on actual physical results..... tinny fans. Tinny fans are never a good option. They typically have to spin at very high rpm to move the same amount of air that larger slower speed fans move. High speed = more noise. I would not be surprised to find that under moderate load these units with 4 fans scream with fan noise.

Last edited:

turbo6bar

Solar Enthusiast
I have several significant issues.
1) solark has UL certs and these products dont.
2) software to drive the units. Seems any fly by night china corp can push out these units. Software support and software quality/features is were the real work is. Solark's software and software features seems unmatched in the industry at the moment.
3) 12a PV input is pathetically low. to support any real PV array id have to run multiple strings of wire from my array back to the inverter increasing cost and complexity.

In the other thread, he mentions these being UL listed.

Isn't the trend nowadays going with higher string voltage and lower amperage. How is 12a PV input on four MPPT inputs pathetic?

With many modern panels have max amperage around 10 amps, how is 12a a limitation? Sol-Ark has 20A max input, so perhaps, you could run two panels in parallel vs this inverter. However, 4 separate MPPT inputs could be seen as an advantage if you have the opportunity for arrays with different orientation.

schmism

Solar Addict
Isn't the trend nowadays going with higher string voltage and lower amperage. How is 12a PV input on four MPPT inputs pathetic?
I missed the high PV input voltage part (500v) as it wasnt included in the bullet points in the OP.

The high series count for panels required to get to those kind of voltages (15-20 units) means the array will have significant disadvantages if you have any kind of partial shading. (recent posts suggest that the shade cast by even a single overhead wire is enough to drop array output significantly)

The trend toward higher voltage lower current is a thing to reduce cost. As the current handling is difficult and takes more physical material to do so.

Username_01

It looks like the 12A rating is per string - so 2 strings per MPPT = 24A combined possibly. Sol-Ark lists theirs 20A per MPPT with 2 strings on each.

4 total strings on both units
2 MPPT per unit

So apples to apples:
2x 12A strings per MPPT on Megarevo = 24A per MPPT (If the current works that way to combine them, I could be wrong)
2x 10A strings per MPPT on Sol-Ark = 20A per MPPT

That's the frustrating part about these units overall, is that different vendors list the specs differently. Some go by AC rating, some by DC, and all sorts of other small differences in spec listings that can make it really complicated to see what you're working with.

Maast

Compulsive Tinkerer
Whats the idle loss wattage? Idle loss is the single most at-a-glance determinor of if it's a quality product or not. If its more than 5% of its nominal output then this is no better than the current crop of Growatts/MPP/etc and their horrible idle loss numbers.

the_colorist

Lots of great points. Let me see if I can answer them:

1. The MPPTs are technically good for up to ~15A ISC or so. Good for larger panels.
  2. UL certification/certificates will be coming. We're serious about making this a fully usable product.
  3. The software is being improved as we speak and will continue to be improved as we field test them and get feedback from users/installers.
  4. These are intended to be a low-cost alternative to SOL-ARK. So for example the LCD is very simplistic compared the large color LCD on the DEYE/SOL-ARK units. You'll need to upgrade to the Huayu inverters (I haven't posted about them yet) to really have a unit that is better than SOL-ARK.
  5. I need to confirm active unit self-consumption before I say for sure. SOL-ARK and DEYE inverters use around 50-60W just to run. This should be less than that significantly but I need to confirm before I say for sure. I do believe in reality it's higher than the datasheet states (< 2.5 W | with battery enabling < 5 W) but I'll reply back as I confirm this.
  6. As an elaboration on the previous statement, these types of units are designed to be grid-parallel. Due to this, the idle wattage/self-consumption is generally considered less of an issue as for most applications/everyday use, it's just assisting/parallel to the grid and providing full zero-export if possible as a way to reduce the overall utility bill.

the_colorist

It looks like the 12A rating is per string - so 2 strings per MPPT = 24A combined possibly. Sol-Ark lists theirs 20A per MPPT with 2 strings on each.

4 total strings on both units
2 MPPT per unit

So apples to apples:
2x 12A strings per MPPT on Megarevo = 24A per MPPT (If the current works that way to combine them, I could be wrong)
2x 10A strings per MPPT on Sol-Ark = 20A per MPPT

That's the frustrating part about these units overall, is that different vendors list the specs differently. Some go by AC rating, some by DC, and all sorts of other small differences in spec listings that can make it really complicated to see what you're working with.
I see I didn’t reply to this clearly.

This inverter has 4x ~15A (12A continuous rated) MPPT trackers. The rating is for the input (check your panel specs).

So that’s a combined total continuous input amperage of 48A across all 4 independent MPPTs.

schmism

Solar Addict
So that’s a combined total continuous input amperage of 48A across all 4 independent MPPTs.
some perspective, my current 3000w 48v growatts do 80A max with a PV input range from 60- 145V. Single MPPT input supporting 4500w. Meaning I can have a highly paralleled PV array that will minimize losses due to partial shading.

In the right application were zero shadeing issues exist, the high series count panels for high voltage inputs has its advantage in terms of wire size and losses. However if your have ANY kind of shadeing concerns, those gains will quickly dimminish as the array falls on its face due to partial shade.