diy solar

diy solar

Sol-Ark in "Off" mode at night

GregTR

Solar Enthusiast
I just got a Sol-Ark 15K and while I'm waiting for batteries the inverter turns "off" during the night, as soon as the sun goes down. It is basically in pass-thru mode at that point, which is fine, but it also stops measuring and logging energy usage from the grid into the on-line logger.

Is there a way to keep it on without batteries?

That is a nice feature if it saves on the 90W idle consumption. I have those clamp meters (Emporia).

@Danke , Emporia question for you: How are you measuring consumption, solar generation and battery charging? The problem is that the 2.5mm ports are not bi-directional. I asked Emporia and they said it's not a hardware limitation, it's a mere firmware setting and lack of software implementation.

So this is how I have mine setup:
Vue 1:
3.5mm port is on the incoming grid wire, measuring bi-directional flow (can't export to grid yet so I'm in load only mode)
2.5mm port is running two 3.5mm clamps in series measuring the grid side and the load side of the Sol-Ark and set as "solar" in Emporia. The problem is that when the Grid < Load it means solar generation, which is measured accurately. But when Grid > Load, it should be consumption as that would be energy flowing into the battery, but Emporia can't record that as consumption, it still measures it as production.

Vue 2:
3.5mm port: on the wire incoming to the main breaker panel which is the same as the load side of the Sol-Ark.
2.5mm ports: individual breakers inside the breaker.

So if I want to measure the battery charge consumption, I have to look at the grid input and the load output readings and if Grid > Load it means the "solar" measurement is actually negative and is data that should be logged as consumption (charging the battery + Sol-Ark overhead)

Mind you this is only a problem if you ever use grid to charge your batteries, if you only use solar to charge the battery then the "solar" will read correctly at all times, it's just "delayed stored solar" when it's coming from the battery. However, I am planning on switching to a free nights energy plan which means I will very much charge my battery from the grid as soon as the clock hits 9PM and I'll be sucking up that sweet free power so I will definitely have this problem. I guess I can fix it all in Excel but I was wondering how you solved this predicatment.

Yeah, that is what I found too. It would be nice to have the option to keep it on. At 90W/hour for 14 hours, we're talking about $1.20 per day. I'd be OK with that until the batteries get here. I'm getting batteries as soon as they're available so I won't have this problem in a few days...

Yeah, that is what I found too. It would be nice to have the option to keep it on. At 90W/hour for 14 hours, we're talking about $1.20 per day. I'd be OK with that until the batteries get here. I'm getting batteries as soon as they're available so I won't have this problem in a few days...
That is 1260 watts hours or 1.2kwh, so you pay $1.00 a kWh? That is crazy high, you need those batteries asap. You system payoff timeline must be super short.

Back